most important thing to work on

PMTS Forum

Re: most important thing to work on

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

New students to PMTS you should start with Book 1, page 1. Don't skip chapters or drills. Don't move forward to the next chapter until you have mastered the material in the current chapter.

fourftr wrote:Also if someone can explain what holding that free foot against the stance boot what purpose does it hold

From Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier 1, on page 72.

Balance is easily maintained in this maneuver if the raised free foot is pulled in close to the stance foot. A wide stance with feet apart will eliminate the turn control of the free foot. A wide stance moves the center of balance too far into the slope, compromising balancing and carving.

From Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier 1, on page 74.

Notice how pressing the free foot toward the stance foot has produced symmetry in leg angles to the snow. The muscles contracting to produce these positions and actions result in a powerful position of balance.

From Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier 2, on page 63.

By keeping the free foot close to the stance foot in transition, both side-to-side and fore/aft balance on the stance foot is improved.
Max_501

Postby fourftr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Matt thanks for your question I am starting to figure it out!!! With Max_501 next post it started to hit home after reading what he had to say
fourftr

Postby fourftr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Max_501
I took your advise and after reading it over I learned more. Ironically yesterday I was working on pulling that boot against the stance. I did find out a few items, how bad my balance is and how much I don't do correctly. I have a long way to go
I did some research on this forum and years ago you did a MA of rob and showed the day1 day2 etc. It was pretty impressive how much he improved with your help. Sure wished you lived here in New England. In closing I hope Harald reply's to my question on Strolz boots to learn the PMTS. From the articles he has done on boots he sure gives us great knowledge. Like i said in my above post to him he will give me the facts
fourftr

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm

If you want to become a good skier there are at least 6 boot products that can get you there. Strolz isn't one of them.
h.harb

Postby fourftr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Harald
Thanks for the reply on the Strolz. I contacted a dodge boot dealer here in Lincoln N.H. Wish me luck
fourftr

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Oh yes, Good luck, those boots need expert understanding, for the set up. I would wait until you can get the set done properly before you buy. Ask JBotti or others using them. If you are going to spend that much on a ski boot, it has to be done, not right, it has to be done perfectly. Good Luck!
h.harb

Postby dan.boisvert » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

fourftr wrote:I contacted a dodge boot dealer here in Lincoln N.H. Wish me luck

I presume you're referring to the Race Room at Sport Thoma, unless Dodge has added another shop in Lincoln recently. I'm very familiar with Sport Thoma; they're great to work with, and Peter has been very generous with sending demo skis to the Northeast PMTS meetups and stuff. That said, they don't have a fitter who's going to get you the boot setup you want for PMTS. They used to use a PMTS-trained fitter who rented space at their Waterville Valley location for the complicated/serious setups, but he has mostly gotten out of the ski business.

If you're going to spend $1500 on a boot, I think you'd be well-served to add a little more for a flight to Colorado and go see Harald to get it set up right. I don't know anybody in New England who's available and would be able to get it done right for you. Not to be a downer, but I've played this game before in this region, and am hoping to save you the pain I went through.
dan.boisvert

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

That said, they don't have a fitter who's going to get you the boot setup you want for PMTS.

Thanks Dan, right on, if you want Shelby Cobra, you don't want to settle for a Cobra Kit Car Replica. And, it's not about a PMTS boot set up, or a set up for PMTS; it's about your skiing improvement and the only way to guarantee it, is by combining movements, with the best boot set up for "you". PMTS is only the name put to correct skiing development.
h.harb

Postby fourftr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 am

Dan
Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know what I find out when I stop in to see them.
fourftr

Postby fourftr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

Harald
If the dodge boot won't work for my troubled feet, you mentioned in your above post, at least five models would you please give me those names. I'm taking your advice and not going with another set of strolz. Strolz would cost me about a grand. For a grand I would like to think I can find a boot so I can improve my skiing using the PMTS. This guy I know who has skied for fifty years and has raced all his life just bought the Strolz and he said he is not happy they seem too soft when he tries to roll the ski on edge he is finding he has to put a lot more effort and movement,it is throwing his timing all off. This guy is a very quick turner side to side. So that being said and your advice, those boot names would be helpful.
fourftr

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

at least five models would you please give me those names.

http://harbskisystems.com/our-ski-shop/equipment-sales/boots/44-boot-overview.html?m_id=1111&cd=30&hyb=1&menu_id=40

For '12-'13, we're carrying select boot models from Dodge, Dalbello, and Head. We don't try to carry all boot brands & models. The selection we carry lets us fit most feet and most skiers. All our boots provide good lateral edging performance -- no squatty stances or tail-washing boots here!

Click on "Boots" on left menu to read more about the boots we carry

above = relevant

This guy I know who has skied for fifty years
= not relevant

Go back and re-read what you have been told already in this thread, then choose to accept it or go ask somewhere else if you only want the answers you want to hear. You will only get tough love here, but when you wake up in the morning you will be satisfied.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby geoffda » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:17 pm

MonsterMan wrote:You will only get tough love here, but when you wake up in the morning you will be satisfied.

But will you still respect me in the morning? ROFLMAO. MonsterMan, telling it like it is! :lol:
geoffda

Postby fourftr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Hey Monster Man

Thanks for those names. Let the hunting begin
fourftr

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 pm

Go back and re-read what you have been told already in this thread, then choose to accept it or go ask somewhere else if you only want the answers you want to hear. You will only get tough love here, but when you wake up in the morning you will be satisfied.

Perfect
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm

MonsterMan wrote: You will only get tough love here, but when you wake up in the morning you will be satisfied.

Aussies. You guys are great. :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System