Whistler/Blackcomb PMTS Tech Camp

PMTS Forum

Re: Whistler/Blackcomb PMTS Tech Camp

Postby A.L.E » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 am

Ihamilton wrote:I had the privilege to teach two Aussies today, Peter and Sue. Sue had not skied for 8 years, she was on rental equipment. Peter skis every year and has had some exposure to PMTS. Unfortunately, Peter was also on rentals. He went to Dumont last summer and got some boots, Chris tipped him out 3 degress on both sides, which is big. When Peter got to Vancouver he found out that his boots arrived in Perth Australia. It continues to amaze me how skiers like Sue can become such good skiers so quickly. Sue skied with us in the morning and after 2 hours or so was a very good skier.......................................I have read it elsewhere but it bears repeating, this PMTS shit really works.

Like our cousins by name the Austrians, skiing comes very naturally to us Aussies. :P
If only we had more than a couple of hills with a bit snow on them for more than 2 months of the year we would win every world cup event!!!!
A.L.E

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:52 am

Go Monster Brother and Sister in law!!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Ihamilton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Teaching PMTS has a lot of rewards, the biggest being the enjoyment the clients get from skiing so well on all of our terrain. Peter and Sue, the two Aussies I referred to above are prime examples. They both did very well. What gave me a big thrill was watching Peter make expert turns on the dead flats. That can only be done with precisely timed phantom movements. Peter emailed me and said a Canadian friend who is a level 3 CSIA instructor wanted to follow him on the flats and learn how to do it. I have heard Harald tell of how he named the movements when he was demonstrating in front of TTS instructors, they couldn't figure out what he was doing and it got called the "phantom" move. Peter is now in a club of pmts'ers, who have made these turns in front of the "expert" TTS instructors, and they, the instructors, want to learn how to do it. Once they learn how to ski a phantom turn, and thereby learn how to ski, you would think they would want to pass it on to their colleagues and organizations like Harald has. My wife wants to know how TTS organizations can continue to mess it up.
Ihamilton

Postby BigE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:07 am

It's easy to screw it up....they just put it into their toolbox, right beside the pivot slip.
BigE

Postby krazzy legs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Ihamilton wrote:Our second wave of evaluations have come in and the comments are some what more sober. The rating of the camp is still excellent, it hasn't dropped at all but we are getting comments that the campers skiing has regressed since the camp. Wendell and I talked about how hard it is to get people to make permanent real change to their skiing. Real change takes deep practice. The teaching of PMTS is easy, the manual is great the movements simple to do and understand. The problem is that the TTS methods are so ingrained in people that they have to focus on every turn to over ride their bad habits. If they just go skiing without focus, then the brain and muscles will us the most common route of travel for signals, ie. the ones that they have been using for years.
I have the same problem, if I don't focus, I go back to old habits. As we all know in addition to working on change we have to have a method of validating our practice.
I anticipated this problem and on the last day I told the clients that they would slip back if they didn't continue the same routines we did at camp. I suggested that after the camp they do stationary tipping drills and that for at least the first couple of runs each day they do double pole drags and focus to make sure that they didn't lift the poles off the snow. I suggested they check their tracks to make sure that they weren't skidding. I repeated this to them many times, some will do it others won't.
This posting has directed my attention to this forum. I have learned that many of you have become excellent skiers because of your focus and attention to drills.
The following question is lifted from the Talent Code. What is the fastest way to move Hirscher and Schild to the middle of the pack? Answer: stop them from practicing.

The campers skiing has regressed I think because of herding. If the skiers in the camp were on the mountain by themselfs I bet they would not regress. Collective ski technique is impulsive, self generating, self sustaining & self reversing. The deepest reason for change is "its time"

Independent thinking is needed to break away from the crowd & even the most advanced skiers will have thier skiing effected by the mood of the masses. I have found only through understanding that following the herd will only bring self doubt & confusion on how to proceed with my skiing & if I understand if I only base my ski technique based on that which is practical am I able to do my own thing & ski in a practical way.

When the skiers leave the camp they become part of the crowd & the crowd is dumber then the dumbest person in the crowd. (Based on this fact the style that has the most following will most likely be the worst that is why PMTS has got my attention) From what I read it seams to be practical

Just like what is popular in music, art, TV shows etc is a reflection of the mood of the masses so is skiing style, teaching methods etc
krazzy legs

Postby BigE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 am

That is a very gloomy, dark and discouraging viewpoint. It means there can be no advancement in any endeavor.

I disagree wholeheartedly.
BigE

Postby geoffda » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:39 am

krazzy legs wrote: The campers skiing has regressed I think because of herding. If the skiers in the camp were on the mountain by themselfs I bet they would not regress. Collective ski technique is impulsive, self generating, self sustaining & self reversing. The deepest reason for change is "its time"

Independent thinking is needed to break away from the crowd & even the most advanced skiers will have thier skiing effected by the mood of the masses. I have found only through understanding that following the herd will only bring self doubt & confusion on how to proceed with my skiing & if I understand if I only base my ski technique based on that which is practical am I able to do my own thing & ski in a practical way.

When the skiers leave the camp they become part of the crowd & the crowd is dumber then the dumbest person in the crowd. (Based on this fact the style that has the most following will most likely be the worst that is why PMTS has got my attention) From what I read it seams to be practical

Just like what is popular in music, art, TV shows etc is a reflection of the mood of the masses so is skiing style, teaching methods etc

The reason *some* skiers lose what they acquire at camp is simply that most people would rather just "go ski" than work on skiing. Changing movement patterns is a hard thing and it requires hours of dedicated focus. Moreover, the old movements that we are trying to change are ingrained in our brains and they will resurface whenever we lose focus--whether due to to difficult terrain or conditions, or just trying to keep up with our friends. Part of our obligation as teachers of skiing is to address this issue and help our students understand that the work hasn't ended just because the lesson is over. Learning how to develop your own skiing is an acquired skill that must be taught. (And Irwin, I'm not suggesting that you didn't do this in your sessions). Some skiers just aren't willing to put in the work.
geoffda

Postby BigE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:45 am

+1 geoff
BigE

Postby jclayton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Big E ,
I don't understand your reaction .

"That is a very gloomy, dark and discouraging viewpoint. It means there can be no advancement in any endeavor.
I disagree wholeheartedly.BigE "

Don't you think your response is gloomy ? Is there not light at the end of the tunnel ? Is not satisfaction found after hard work results in acheivement ? Above all , is not the " way " , the process of getting in touch with your physical self , developing co-ordination and balance an acheivement in itself ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby krazzy legs » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:59 pm

I always like to view all ideas, including methods of skiing from both a positive & a negitive view point.

Anyone that has a differnt method for doing something then what the majority is doing catches my attention. It shows they have been thinking. It is then my job to analize from both positive & negitive to see if it is practical & based on a valid theory. I have to give Harold credit for thinking outside the box as well to the instructors & campers for breaking away from the crowd to take the camp.

I think Izac Newton was on to something when he said something in regards in failing to realize how the masses effected his thinking. I know I have under estimating herding effects in the past & most likely will in the future.

I often make mistake & I could have been wrong in any of my posts. I just mentioned the herding effect because it is so often over looked & thought it should be taken into account for better understanding on the best way to proceed.
krazzy legs

Postby jclayton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:27 pm

There is a feeling of security ( false ) being one of a mob . A certain sacrifice of ones ideals always has to be made to be a member .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby BigE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 pm

jclayton wrote:Big E ,
I don't understand your reaction .

"That is a very gloomy, dark and discouraging viewpoint. It means there can be no advancement in any endeavor.
I disagree wholeheartedly.BigE "

Don't you think your response is gloomy ? Is there not light at the end of the tunnel ? Is not satisfaction found after hard work results in acheivement ? Above all , is not the " way " , the process of getting in touch with your physical self , developing co-ordination and balance an acheivement in itself ?

krazzy legs was the one that was suggesting why people slip back is due to "herding". He later raises Isaac Newton as an example.

Neither is correct. That's why my reaction was in such contrast.

"Herding" demands conformance. Conformance in treatment and conformance in results. No one is herding skiers. Skiing is a solitary sport. Any "herding" would occur if you're trying to chase some sort of ski instructor level, or are otherwise forced back to traditional skiing.

Isaac Newton lamented that he followed the myths of science, and wished he broke away earlier. (He did even fudge some of his results to prove gravity worked on a cosmic scale.)

Anyway, back to the point.... there is no herding going on. YOU choose the instruction and techniques you wish to follow. Movements are lost when you stop practicing them. Plain and simple. Your defaults reassert themselves quickly. They say it takes 10,000 repetitions to change a movement.

If that is so, then it is best to remain practicing on Green until you can ramp up the skill level to Blue without degrading your development. I'd bet dollars to donuts that many whose movements came back did so because the "over terrained" themselves. They went too steep before they really changed their movement patterns.

That has nothing to do with herding.
BigE

Postby BigE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 pm

jclayton wrote:There is a feeling of security ( false ) being one of a mob . A certain sacrifice of ones ideals always has to be made to be a member .

I like this mob(PMTS). I wish it were bigger.
BigE

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System