Benni Raich

PMTS Forum

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Keep in mind that no PSIA member I've met has any hint of an idea that they're less effective than they could possibly be. They are honest, honorable true believers in their organization. The officials of the regions are dedicated hard workers for the region...PSIA-NW for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Big Sky in Montana. Ski area management is likely also believers in the organization. A few PSIA members know about PMTS, and some of those scoff...because they're true believers, not because they think they're scamming anybody--quite the reverse. They think PMTS is the scam. They have no idea that their emperor has no clothes. There might be some of the old dogs at the top who know what's what, but if so, they keep their own counsel.

The single biggest benefit to me of PMTS over PSIA is that PMTS allows a natural born klutz, yours truly, to ski very well. A very good PSIA skier needs to be a natural born athlete. The PSIA skiers who are very good don't understand this.

I'd like to see Harald produce a video that is time stamped showing one class of average first day skiers learning parallel turns in that first PMTS group lesson. I'd also like to see a time stamped video of wedge Christie skiers learning parallel turns in one PMTS group lesson. I'd like these videos on YouTube for distribution so anyone can send them anywhere.

To be fair to Mr. Kircher, his comment about the meat grinder included poor facilities, poor rental equipment, and the full range of poor service, ski school included. In addition to the dismal rate of beginner retention, I also find alarming the very poor rate of ski school returnees, all the mediocre skiers on the slopes who could benefit from an effective ski lesson. There are reasons they don't buy further lessons...poor value for the money certainly being one.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby fisherskionsnow » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Harald-Big Sky opens Thanskgiving Day. Redlodge MT delayed their opening until Dec 1. Weather has been to nice.
I'm going to give it a try at Nastar this year. It's held at Moonlight Basin which is next to Big Sky. Any recommendation for a first timer at Nastar?
Your race clinic at Timberline got me hooked.

See you at Big Sky - ALL Mountain camp
Ken Fisher
Kenneth j. Fisher
fisherskionsnow

Postby trtaylor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:51 pm

fisherskionsnow wrote:Harald- Any recommendation for a first timer at Nastar?
Your race clinic at Timberline got me hooked.
Ken Fisher

See http://www.realskiers.com/pmtsforum/vie ... ght=nastar
trtaylor

Postby tdk6 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:46 am

Ken wrote:Keep in mind that no PSIA member I've met has any hint of an idea that they're less effective than they could possibly be. They are honest, honorable true believers in their organization. The officials of the regions are dedicated hard workers for the region...PSIA-NW for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Big Sky in Montana. Ski area management is likely also believers in the organization. A few PSIA members know about PMTS, and some of those scoff...because they're true believers, not because they think they're scamming anybody--quite the reverse. They think PMTS is the scam. They have no idea that their emperor has no clothes. There might be some of the old dogs at the top who know what's what, but if so, they keep their own counsel.

The single biggest benefit to me of PMTS over PSIA is that PMTS allows a natural born klutz, yours truly, to ski very well. A very good PSIA skier needs to be a natural born athlete. The PSIA skiers who are very good don't understand this.

I'd like to see Harald produce a video that is time stamped showing one class of average first day skiers learning parallel turns in that first PMTS group lesson. I'd also like to see a time stamped video of wedge Christie skiers learning parallel turns in one PMTS group lesson. I'd like these videos on YouTube for distribution so anyone can send them anywhere.

To be fair to Mr. Kircher, his comment about the meat grinder included poor facilities, poor rental equipment, and the full range of poor service, ski school included. In addition to the dismal rate of beginner retention, I also find alarming the very poor rate of ski school returnees, all the mediocre skiers on the slopes who could benefit from an effective ski lesson. There are reasons they don't buy further lessons...poor value for the money certainly being one.

Do you think that the problem with psia is the wedge christie progression or maybe the way that they teach the wedge christie? Are there other ways of doing it? Also, IMO if psia teaches wrong movements right from the start these wrong movements can be spotted even at advanced level. If the movements are wrong they should be producing negative results. In that case I would not call the skiers using them very good skiers. No athletism can substitute for right movements. Even an intermediate skier doing the right movements is a better skier than an excellent skier doing the wrong movements. This brings us to the discussion of what is right and what is wrong.
tdk6

Postby milesb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 am

tdk6, in case you haven't seen these controversial threads:
ESA coach analysis

More analysis of ESA coaches
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby tdk6 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:31 pm

milesB, no, the first thread I had never seen. Very interesting reading though. Didnt read it all but a quick glanze did not convince me that parallels could be drawn between skiers in the links and the wedge christie progression being inferior. I bet if HH wanted he could work out a wedge christie progression model that would be supporting his parallel skiing.
tdk6

Postby milesb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:52 pm

He actually has something like that in the PMTS Instructor's Manual for skiers that are already doing wedge christies. However the goal is to get them to do other movements.

One more thread in the same spirit.
http://www.realskiers.com/pmtsforum/vie ... ms&start=0
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System