First day on Carvers

PMTS Forum

Postby Bolter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:49 am

I am burning through wheels very fast. The iside rear of each carver lasts two sessions. I have partial ownership in a bike shop and can open an account with a supplier. Any ideas who to contact to get a more durable wheel so it will last?
Bolter

Postby BigE » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Bolter wrote:I am burning through wheels very fast. The iside rear of each carver lasts two sessions. I have partial ownership in a bike shop and can open an account with a supplier. Any ideas who to contact to get a more durable wheel so it will last?

Get the hardest you can.... Durometer rating of 85A at least.

And try to make quiet turns. If you are scrubbing, you may have a technique issue.
BigE

Postby Hobbit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Check the posts by Harald in these threads:

Recommended wheel replacement for carvers and this one

I believe Harald made an extensive research on the wheels. I think that the overall hardest wheels might not be the best overall for the carvers application.
I also recall that the replacement wheel sets that Harald sells are of much better quality than the original ones (not 100% sure if this is still the case but it was true when I was buying my set).

It is also kind of strange that you are burning the rear inside wheel. I would expect the front inside wheel to wear fastest. This may indicate some issues with the technique or alignment IMHO.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Bolter » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks you guys, I will post a video we will see what you think. May take some time. Bolter
Bolter

Wheel Wear

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 am

my outside wheels are wearing faster than the inside and evenly, does this mean anything?

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby Hobbit » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:56 am

Geoff,
Without seeing the video clip or the snapshots I would say that your balance on carvers is probably mostly on the inside foot.
This would explain the wear pattern you are describing.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Video

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:11 pm

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-769091343166635641

ok i'll be brave, here is some video, any ideas on excercises to get the feet closer together? I think that subconsciously I'm concerned of the wheels catching.

Geoff

edit ps Ken, I hope it's ok to post in this thread and keep the current carver theme in one spot, if not I'd be happy to start another.
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Geoff,
Tip your feet more, go back to a slow flat area to get used to the movements of the wheels like edges, then go back to the slope. counter balance and flex to engage. Remember you have to do it more then on snow. Start with little toe tipping first.
h.harb

Video

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Harold, and via pm Hobbit.

Hobbit, I've added hose to the poles, much nicer thanks. I have also checked out Jay's website. When I get a bit more confident I will try some of the one foot balance excercises and releases.

Here is some video from late yesterday, (you can tell from the quality of video that it was getting dark).

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=5661712763810070651

I found a wider. gentler slope as suggested. Still having trouble getting the free ski in close to the stance ski, it wants to diverge when I try to finish the turns and then it's stuck out there for subsequent turns. I think I still sub-consciously am afraid of the wheels tripping if I bring them in close too.

Would releasing the stance ski to flat/float type transition and wait there for a bit help?

I also don't feel the stance ski tipping angle matching the free ski as much as on snow, would it be ok to follow the lte tipping with just a hint of stance ski bte movement? or will this happen if I get the feet close together with confidence.

Anyway, all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:50 pm

One of the issues with carving is the natural fear of letting the hips drop into the turn (just like in skiing). The 2nd video shows improved tipping but the hips are being blocked from moving into the turn.

Look at how far Diana lets her hips drop into this turn:

Note the relatively straight legs with the counter balance coming from the upper body (rather than from the knees).
Max_501

Session 7

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:27 am

High all, we finally had some rain last week, so didn't get out much. This was this afternoon trying to extend and flex to release and get more inclination.

I have been going out for about half hour sessions and this is session 7 for anyone interested in how long it might take an intermediate skier to progress to this wobbly yet almost confident stage on the Carvers.

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4920995964922315502

Ideas on what to work on next would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

edit ps the inside rear wheels are now slightly more worn than the inside middle and front, hardly any wear now on the outside wheels.
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:33 am

Tip both feet the same amount so you end up with parallel shins.

Get some more counter in there so your pelvis and upper body are pointed slightly to the outside of the turn.

What's your weight distribution (inside vs outside)?
Max_501

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 am

Definitely 95% weight on outside carver by the wear pattern on the wheels
MonsterMan

Postby Icanski » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi,
What's the link for the how to's that Jay has? I'd like some tips (no pun intended) :lol:
John
Icanski

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 pm

MonsterMan

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System