New Inside Leg Extension ???

PMTS Forum

New Inside Leg Extension ???

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:49 am

Immediately after transition, the new free leg must extend a little!

true or false?

I suspect that as the torso moves inside the turn this must happen.

My reasoning is that in order to increase both free ski tipping and inside, (free) leg flexing through the arc, a little extension must happen straight after transition.

Into the release, the stance leg is flexed to match the flex of the inside leg. I am assuming that maximum flex of both legs is through flat and float. Therefore, in order to flex more through the new arc there needs to be a little extension somewhere early in the high C, perhaps as the stance leg extends to maintain contact and as the force swings the torso to the inside.

Thanks in anticipation,

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:58 am

I think I have a possible answer, re centering fore/aft with the two foot pull-back. Could it be that this has the effect of extending the free leg??
MonsterMan

Postby alan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 am

Check out this video posted by Max_501 in the Benni Raich thread: http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9725344/benni-l.mpg. Is there any inside leg extension in those turns?
alan

Postby BigE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:43 am

yes.
BigE

Re: New Inside Leg Extension ???

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 am

MonsterMan wrote:Immediately after transition, the new free leg must extend a little!

true or false?

False. Take a look at pages 10 and 11 of Essentials.
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:45 am

alan wrote:Check out this video posted by Max_501 in the Benni Raich thread: http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9725344/benni-l.mpg. Is there any inside leg extension in those turns?

In most of them no . I see a little in one turn but I suspect its in response to the slope falling away.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 am

MonsterMan wrote: in order to flex more through the new arc there needs to be a little extension somewhere early in the high C, perhaps as the stance leg extends to maintain contact and as the force swings the torso to the inside.

Correct. Extension is to maintain snow contact. It is not a push.
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_lpXFpkTKgs

The camera angle of the 2nd turn lets you see very nicely what is happening with the inside leg.

If you do a lift and tip movement you might set that ski back down on the ground as you entered the new turn. I don't think of that as an extension though.

Back to the original question. No extension of the new inside leg is required.
Last edited by Max_501 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:09 am

Monsterman,

Are you wondering about extension of the stance leg extension or the extension of the leg you have just lifted and tipped? Your original post refers to both.
BigE

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely talking about the new free leg.

Max, in your reference to essentials the sample turn, i'm talking about somewhere in frames 5 to 7.

In chapter 3, flexing and extending, Harold talks about continued flexing of the inside leg and continued tipping of inside foot. I'd prefer to reference figure 3-11 please Max, as the text on page 86 is relevant.

Harold has measured inside leg flex, (left leg), at about 125 degrees in frame 5 and 90 degrees by frame 7.

If at the end of the last turn; the release in frames 2 and 3, the old stance leg, the left leg is flexed to release to match the old free leg flexion, (right in this case), then it must get flexed to say 90 degrees in frame two.

How then does it extend back out to 125 degrees by frame 5?

I suspect that without the wonderfully powerful two footed pullback to recenter fore/aft it wouldn't without a deliberate extension, but in doing the pullback, both legs by necessity extend to a greater angle, say to the 125 degree estimate.

I think that this effect on the new stance leg also starts this leg on the path of reaching to maintain contact.

Hope this clarifies my question.

Thanks for the responses,

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 am

Am I confused here? Are we talking about extending the inside leg for, at the beginning, or during the new turn? (old outside leg) I don't know where this idea appears, as we have never suggested this movement in any PMTS literature.

Also, make sure you are clear about the difference between extending to maintain contact and extending to create pressure. In PMTS We rarely use extending in ?transitions? to create pressure, unless it's a special situation.
h.harb

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:11 pm

I think the term inside leg extension has nasty ramifications with TTS, this is not what I am asking about. I simply am trying to work out how the old outside leg, (the inside leg for this turn), gets from 90 degrees through transition, to an angle higher than this angle to allow for increasing inside leg flexing with the increasing tipping through the rest of the turn.

It's this thought of the day, (flex the inside leg more and tip more through the bottom of the turn), that allowed me to get better tipping angles on my Harb carvers yesterday. I'm just not sure where the inside leg gets longer, (less flexed).
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:33 pm

MonsterMan wrote:It's this thought of the day, (flex the inside leg more and tip more through the bottom of the turn), that allowed me to get better tipping angles on my Harb carvers yesterday. I'm just not sure where the inside leg gets longer, (less flexed).

yes, by this logic. unless the old inside leg is shorter than the (new inside) old outside leg when both are flat? :)
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:23 pm

maybe the inside leg is changing angle at the knee as the force pushes your arse inside the turn?

Maybe my reading that it is the only the stance leg that reaches to maintain snow contact is incorrect?
MonsterMan

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System