Questions

PMTS Forum

Re: Questions

Postby carver_hk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am

I love to see people really working hard to learn skiing and have an open mind to learn. From the way you ski I guess you can learn pretty fast. In the video titled 'Day 20 A-Basin West Wall' I m seeing you are quite athletic, just that your muscles did too much work in taking your skis through the transition. It will be interesting to see you replace it with tipping in your future MA.

good luck and have fun with your skiing! :D

later,

Martin
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby dbntina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 am

Martin,

Believe me I am willing to do anything to speed up the learning curve!

I want to ski efficiently so that my muscles don't have to work so hard...muscles get tired...technique doesn't. I should have the video up in two weeks after the next ski trip.

David
dbntina

Postby jclayton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am

David ,
the posts here do get a bit complicated at times , a lot of us have personal takes on things usually to try and get our own heads around them .

You will find as you progress certain points in the books will become clearer . Most of us have found after practising drills , going to camps and skiing around for a while we re-read the books and aspects become clear that we didn't even notice before .

Logically several of the essentials have to be somewhat in place to be able to ski at the level you are at now . Your free foot tip to start the turn is in place , to tip more you will have to develop more CB and then CA and balance more comfortably on the edges . To tip earlier the release will have to be more effective .

In other words as your skiing develops one essential will become stronger , others may fall behind a bit and have to be brought up to the level of the better one , playing a continual catch up . Then it is a matter of being aware which one needs working on most . Here the eye of Harald or his instructors offer the quickest route .

The beauty of the Essentials is that with the various drills you can work on each of them specifically and in many different ways , improving you feel for them and making it generally enjoyable .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby dbntina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:31 am

Great post, thanks for the info jclayton, my biggest problem is being impatient I think. I want to know and understand everything now and put it in place tomorrow. :lol:
dbntina

Postby ToddW » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 am

dbntina wrote:Martin,

Believe me I am willing to do anything to speed up the learning curve!

I want to ski efficiently so that my muscles don't have to work so hard...muscles get tired...technique doesn't. I should have the video up in two weeks after the next ski trip.

David

David,

If you want to maximally accelerate your learning, do these two things.

1) spend most of your time on green and light blue doing drills for several days to instill precise muscle memory. Wait until you own the movements to ramp them up. How do you know if you own them? Watch what your body does when you have to dodge an unexpected obstacle (or snowboarder) or clear your mind entirely and ski a run without thinking about what you're doing, but video it. When you do start to ramp it up, alternate between skiing precisely on easier terrain and the fun stuff so you can catch and correct your deviations from ideal PMTS form. Pay special attention to your little toe edge. Become best friends with it on easier terrain so that you will trust it in all of your skiing. (Read Daniel Coyle's The Talent Code for a survey of how many world class coaches use slow, deliberate, precise movement practice over days (weeks, and years) to develop hotbeds of athletic prowess.)

2) If your area is snow-free, get out on your Harb Carvers and practice clean turns. Otherwise, do it once Spring comes to your area.
ToddW

Postby dbntina » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Todd,

I will do it. Sounds like it is drills, drills and more drills. It seems like the drills I need to focus on the most with the feedback I am getting is

1) Tipping and CB
2) Flex to release

I will absolutely do it and film my skiing. I will post what I get on my next trip in the MA forum and get feedback and then drill it again.

Sounds like that is what is going to get me there the quickest.

Thanks a bunch for weighing in, :)

David
dbntina

Postby cheesehead » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:04 pm

h.harb wrote:Max501 said it, listen to what he said. The reason anyone has trouble with a Super Phantom is because they don't finish with the inside ski tipped high enough and pulled in close enough to the outside boot before the releasing begins. Also, you have to hold the little toe edge ski, on it's little toe while you flex the stance leg.

I think I got it. I think the trouble I was having was I was holding the "old" outside stance leg on the inside (BTE) edge as I was rolling the previous inside leg off of its LTE flat and then on to the BTE. That way I had 2 BTE at the same time.

Suddenly, I had a snow plow. After going head over ski tips about 5 times, the light bulb went off -- balance on the inside LTE, flex the old stance ski (it worked best if I thought of it as lifting the heel) and THEN rolling that inside Leg LTE to the BTE as it becomes the stance leg. My balance on the LTE still needs a lot of work, but some of the time, at least, it felt really good.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 am

Not exactly.

Ride along on the uphill little toe edge (old free foot) for a moment, then tip the downhill foot (new free foot/old stance foot) strongly to its little toe edge. Hold the uphill little toe edge--your body movement will take it away from you, but hold it as long as you can. There is no foot movement to the big toe edge. You body movement does that for you.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 am

Are you absolutely sure that the movement of the body inside is what creates the edge angle?

Where did tipping go?
BigE

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Tipping the new free foot (invert the foot) impels the body across the skis. Other forces contribute, but tipping the free foot is the key.

The edge angle of the stance foot (outside foot) on the snow is the result of the leg angle, not big toe edge pressure (eversion of the foot).

The leg angle is the result of tipping the free foot (inside foot) and other movements, but tipping is the key.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Can you explain then, why a tipping board is good practice?
BigE

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:31 pm

It is important to note that holding the little toe edge is the intent, yet it only gives you a moment to release and tip off the big toe edge, while there. I encourage everyone to practice the one footed release to experience the transition from little toe edge, to big toe edge, while the old stance ski is lifted. Do it slowly and you will soon find out that you don’t want your body moving into the arc. If it does you will be caught loosing balance and catching the big toe edge before the new LTE is achieved.

Releasing from the big toe (flattening) should be a foot and ankle movement, while keeping the hips over or even better toward the outside of the new stance ski. Which means, CB toward the new stance side, as early as possible. This exercise reveals all faults in balancing and really exposes lack of lower body movements.

The tipping board is great for learning to C-balance of your hips and upper body, a wobble based board, gives the experience of stabilizing and flattening the foot and ankle.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Harald, I'm a bit unclear on this:

"Releasing from the big toe (flattening) should be a foot and ankle movement, while keeping the hips over or even better toward the outside of the new stance ski. Which means, CB toward the new stance side, as early as possible. This exercise reveals all faults in balancing and really exposes lack of lower body movements."

When you say "CB toward the new stance side", do you mean there is a weight transfer that takes your CM *over* the new stance ski while counterbalancing?
BigE

Postby cheesehead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Ken wrote:Not exactly.

..... There is no foot movement to the big toe edge. You body movement does that for you.

I thought the movement WAS supposed to come from the lower body, the legs that is. I thought the idea was to tip your legs, and your body responds TO that with CB and CA. I feel a deliberate action of my lower leg when I go from LTE to BTE. It feels to me like I am going from bow-legged to knock-kneed (with that leg only). I am trying to be careful not to turn that into extension
Last edited by cheesehead on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:10 pm

It must be understood and a "given" that the movements begin at the big toe edge (to release stance ski). Reduce angle and pressure. Reduce pressure by lifting or flexing then move the ski flat by tipping the foot and ankle off the big toe edge. Hold the little toe edge ski, any movements to follow the releasing stance ski should begin at the LTE foot (not upper body). These are foot and ankle movements toward the big toe, to follow movements of releasing on the other foot. Hold the upper body over the new stance ski as long as possible until transition is achieved.

This is a description for a one footed release.

When skiing there is more momentum, yet the lower body still moves first, then the upper body has to follow, but it isn't pushed or extended to create a transition. The upper body follows the lower body after all lower body movement ranges are used up.

Most skiers move the upper body first, which is incorrect. In also every incorrect UB movement to the new arc, extension or pushing is used. This is inefficient movement and causes consequences of unbalance that you will have to deal with later in that arc.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System