Re: Questions

Postby cheesehead » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am

Great. I will work on it this weekend.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby cheesehead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm

I did work on the super phantom and I found it difficult. I was able to keep the LTE on its edge sometimes though. And looking at the book and HH's post here, I will try it with MORE tipping, and keeping the inside ski closer to the other boot BEFORE I do it. And I will do lots of dryland tipping practice as well.

so, a good drill, because it is difficult but doable, and eventually, I hope, will help me to ski better. Great to have help for a klutz like me to have even a minimum of grace on the skis.

Unfortunately, the season here in Wisconsin lasts only for another 3 or 4 weeks, but might be even less than that.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby cheesehead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm

I also meant to say, more flexing should help as well.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby dbntina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:47 pm

14 - Day 19 Keystone Attempt at linking TFR on blue

Max here I am trying to link the TFR on River Run at Keystone today. In the morning I did the drill for pulling my free foot heel back to stay forward and tipping. I did that for two runs and started to feel the difference in staying forward over my skis. I then focused on doing the counterbalancing on the next run by dragging the uphill pole. At the camp Rich kept telling me I wasn't counterbalancing enough and honestly I thought if I counterbalance anymore I am going to fall forward over the top of my skis. Anyway started to feel the difference.

To make a long story short, My legs did not burn all day today and never hurt! Amazing, so that is what being in the back seat does. Instead of a leg burn I have traded that for lower back pain! I had to keep stopping because my lower back kept cramping. Anyway I am uncomfortably forward but I am starting to get used to it. Can't believe how bad my lower back is sore.

Anyway, I stopped sliding on the ice, it was a real breakthrough CB and CA. The funny thing is I can tell the difference slightly from previous linked TFR's at Camp by comparing video. It feels so different but yet the difference is hardly noticeable on film. I still need to do more but you gotta start somewhere. This was early in the morning and I started to work on even more flexing in the afternoon and it makes and even better difference on ice. Flexing and not upweighting to release which I am still doing in the video.

Anyway, I feel really good about the improvement today but I definitely will have to start doing Hyperextensions like a mad man, my lower back is WEAK!!

Any comments are welcome, drill recommendation biggest things to work on to make more improvement the fastest I am all ears! Thanks everyone.

I will take some more video tomorrow probably at A-Basin.

Happy Skiing!
:D
dbntina

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Add more CA on the turns to the left.
Max_501

Postby dbntina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback Max, I appreciate it, I will work on it tomorrow.

I think I can make it about 5 turns before I will have to stop and let my back uncramp :lol:
dbntina

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm not sure why CA would affect the lower back much. In PMTS we rotate the pelvis around the femur of the outside leg.
Max_501

Postby dbntina » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Actually, I don't think it is the CA or CB. I think it is the fact of finally getting more forward on my skis. I did the drill where you slightly lift the tail of the ski a few inches of the snow by pulling your heels back at the release and tip.

I did that for a complete run the whole way on greens and then I could tell the difference in being forward. That's when my lower back started hurting. I have always skied in the back seat. I think I somehow am having to use my lower back to stabilize something being forward on the skis?? I don't know but when I try to relieve the pressure by standing upright and leaning back on my skis my legs start to burn and my back eases up and starts to feel relieved, so I think it must be the staying forward issue.

But I have no idea, I am doing something different and now my thighs don't burn like they always have in the past so that is my guess for now.

David :?
dbntina

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm

David,
You're probably tensed up trying so hard to get things right. As things come together you'll be able to relax and flow and have more fun and have a relaxed back.

Look at the angle of your knee on the stance (outside) leg during the turn and at the transition. Is it holding near-straight during the turn and flexing (bending) to release and end the turn? Or is it flexing during the last half of the turn and straightening to release?... :oops:...We all know--old habits are hard to break. For one more way to drive yourself crazy, do a few hours of Harald's flexing drills. It sounds contradictory, but relaxing and flexing that leg to end the turn is powerful. Centrifugal force and gravity and the recovery of stretched torso muscles on the free side (inside) will fling you across your skis into the next turn.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby dbntina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:15 am

You are absolutely right, thanks for the feedback Ken! I will work on it today, heading out the door.

Thanks a bunch!

David :D
dbntina

Postby cheesehead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

Max_501 wrote:I'm not sure why CA would affect the lower back much..

You must not have a "bad" back then. CA causes rotation in the abdominal area (I am not sure if done completely correctly it does, but it does for me). Actually, that rotational movement places a lot of strain on the sacroiliac connection, the muscles and ligaments that are between the wings of the pelvis and the lower spine. I have found that if you bend forward at the waist at the same time that causes a situation where cramping of those sacroiliac muscles occurs. Try to keep a straight line from the tailbone to the last rib, your abdominal muscles should keep those lower ribs up.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I played around with some of this today paying attention to which muscles where firing. In my case I do feel my lower back getting more involved when I'm working hard on getting/staying forward.
Max_501

Postby dbntina » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 am

Cheesehead, yes not necessarily a bad back but a weak back. Ken I definitely think the relaxing helped and I worked on staying flexed the entire time through transition. I try to exagerate the specific things I am working on to help make them stick.

I think my back was hurting because I was exagerating the forward position and it overstressed my back. When I went to A-Basin yesterday it wasn't that bad but I could still feel my lower back getting tired. And the good news is that I am getting the quad burn back as I focused on not coming up and staying flexed the whole time.

So I guess the good news is now I can enjoy both the lower back and quad burn together when I finally start to get the staying forward and staying flexed the whole time. :P

Anyway, I really tried to push myself hard yesterday on staying forward, staying flexed and pulling both feet back at the release. I did the flapper drills on the flatter areas and I thinked that was helping get that feeling going. I had been focusing on pulling just the free foot back. I definitely felt like I got better at that. I had to push it because I won't get back out to ski for another 2 weeks.

I will post the video tonite.

Thanks for everyones input! Great way to improve, post video, get feedback and try again!

David
dbntina

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 am

David ,
realistically you will need to do some work on your lower back area but the whole area or "core" . Personally , after a lifetime of all kinds of excercise and sports , mainly martial arts , swimming , running and windsurfing , Pilates is the best for this by a margin . As always ( vis a vis our search for good ski teaching ) you will have to find a good teacher or school , there is always a range in quality and with this system a good eye is most important . ( we've heard that before ).
Depending how much excercise you have done it will take some months to get results . You are probably familiar with the system , it is quite well publicised , but I thought I had pretty good lower body strength and this system showed up many weaknesses and misalignments .

Another point , check out the posts on hip alignment , it will be more of a strain if you are bending sideways without the hip accompanying . Though it might be a bit early to work on this .

That section of Keystone is quite steep , you looked pretty comfortable and in control .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby dbntina » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 am

Jclayton that is so true. I always thought I had a pretty decent core from all my athletics growing up and with my workouts. I am an extreme workout guy. I have powerlifted, BJJ, yoga, crossfit circuits, running, marathons, etc. But I definitely have not had that kind of fatigue in my lower back so it definitely tells me I need to focus a lot more on my core and it sounds like Pilates is the way to go. So much to do and so little time....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I have some clips where I hiked over to the long chute on the backside of A-basin and tried to ski down that yesterday and I watched them and laughed my butt off. I will post that, talk about jacked up. It looked so flat and smooth from the chairlift, I told my wife I am gonna try that I know I can do that. She went across the bottom and waited with the camera. I looked down from the top and couldn't figure out where the run was because all I saw was bumps everywhere. Anyway its pretty funny. But at least I tried....it was worth it just for the laugh watching it afterwards.

Then another nice slide on columbine when a snowboarder cut in front of me and I tried to go around and slid head first for a while and stopped 5 feet in front of the chairlift pole.

Anyway, I feel like I improved alot but I ending up falling quite a bit. I will post tonite.

David
dbntina

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System