Dodge boot report

PMTS Forum

Re: Dodge boot report

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Art,

Thanks, very good, very instructional. So, the question is, do I ridicule Epic instruction because it is deserved, or are they being ridiculed because they are not followers?

I remember the huge hoop-la when the first ski came out for $100 dollars, and it was really no better than the rest. Soon right after, all top of the line skis were over $100 dollars.

Boots have finally caught up in technology to skis and may have past skis at this point. We always say the ski boot is your most important piece of equipment, but many only give that lip service. We at HSS have always stood behind that statement, "Boots are your most important piece of ski equipment".

Of course you can go wrong with skis as well, but if you stick to some of the more progressive companies, that build skis that perform when put on their sides, you can't go far wrong. The companies that come to mind are Head of course, Fischer, Elan.
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 pm

h.harb wrote:So, the question is, do I ridicule Epic instruction because it is deserved, or are they being ridiculed because they are not followers?

Answer: Both! Epic is it's own "tribe" and will only lose members as they become more aware of, and open to, an "alternative tribe."

Epic is a commodity = Walmart
HHS is a boutique = Gucci, Louis Vitton
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 pm

I know, I should be wearing my Gucci belt to the camp.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:53 pm

h.harb wrote:Of course you can go wrong with skis as well, but if you stick to some of the more progressive companies, that build skis that perform when put on their sides, you can't go far wrong. The companies that come to mind are Head of course, Fischer, Elan.

Those are by far, my three favourites. Around here, they are the least visible ski on the hill. Astounding, really.

I think what happens is that Dynastar/Rossi/Atomic hand out skis to instructors/coaches like candy and they dutifully recommend what they ski on. Whores.
BigE

Postby chris719 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:13 pm

I think it's price related. Was easiest to see this effect with Atomic a few years ago when they seemingly produced so many skis you could find massive discounts every spring on their top end skis. Head, Fischer, Elan, and now Blizzard seem to have smaller distribution channels and you don't have as much dumping of unsold product every year.
chris719

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:16 pm

It's not easy to be different or a leader in skis or boots. The industry marketing machine is hard to fight. How much grief did I have to endure from Epic, a few years ago when no one was skiing Head skis but Harb Ski Systems. I think it was the Nordica clan at Epic that was trying to put Head skis down. I have rarely skied on bad equipment in my life since I could afford to buy it or choose it. Before Head, I skied Elan, great skis. Epic guys ski Volkl and Nordica, in my view partly at least, that's why they ski the way they ski, they have to push those skis around, because they sure don't bend.
h.harb

Postby chris719 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I think a lot of people on certain forums honestly aren't qualified to review skis, myself included, but they do it anyway. Buzz builds up over certain models and people ski on it with preconceived notions which affect their opinion. If 5000 posts say a certain Volkl is the best thing out there, people who don't ski them correctly will buy them anyway.

A few years ago I demoed a lot of skis and while I didn't like the Volkls I tried, I sure was pushing them around and probably picked a ski that I might not have had I had better technique.
chris719

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Chris, that is exactly why the PMTS forum exists, to save people from the 5000 useless recommendations on the other forums.
h.harb

Postby BobD » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks very much for your additional posts on Dodge boots. The carbon fiber technology is quite intriguing.

I note that some people are reporting that they are able to “downsize” to a greater extent with the Dodge boots than is typical. I'll have to contact Chris at the Skier Alignment Center to discuss boot sizing. He was justifiably proud to have been able to squeeze my long, narrow feet into a size 29.0 plastic shell a couple of seasons ago. The question will be whether the Size 275 Dodge boot would be long enough for me. If not, I'll contact the folks at Dodge who have been wondering about whether there is enough interest in Size 285 to put it into production. (See the bottom of this web page: http://dodgeskiboots.com/sizes.htm)

Unfortunately, even if an appropriately sized Dodge boot is/becomes available, I won't be able to make it to the Alignment Center this season. (Most of my skiing is done with a ski club and I won’t get close to Downieville this year.) I'll plan to attend a PMTS camp next year and arrive a day or two early to purchase the boots and go through the fitting process, as I did for my current boots.
BobD

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Two sizes down maybe too much to hope for, you never know it's worth trying.
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 am

Unexpected: My local hill chairlift broke yesterday. Yup... 2.5 hours of hang-time before getting roped down. Dodge boots, light-weight... no problem!

Kudos to the ski patrol (unsung heroes).

arothafel

Postby geoffda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm

arothafel wrote:Unexpected: My local hill chairlift broke yesterday. Yup... 2.5 hours of hang-time before getting roped down. Dodge boots, light-weight... no problem!

Kudos to the ski patrol (unsung heroes).

Nice pic. Glad you are OK Art!
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Looks like you could jump off.
h.harb

Postby A.L.E » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 pm

h.harb wrote:Looks like you could jump off.

Yeah ya big girl.
A.L.E

Postby arothafel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:35 am

A.L.E wrote:
h.harb wrote:Looks like you could jump off.

Yeah ya big girl.

Yeah... you'd think I would just "man-up" and pull a double back-flip on the way down..! Didn't want to take the chance of damaging my new Dodge Boots. :lol:

arothafel

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System