Forefoot varus adjustment

PMTS Forum

Forefoot varus adjustment

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:18 am

Last year I got new insoles. My foot has a pretty large calcanaeal angle (ankle is everted when standing on flat ground).
The bootfitter adjusted the sole so that my ankle is straight, but all of that adjustment was made in the heel region of the insole.
I have a feeling that this has raised the BTE side of the forefoot, which has the effect that I have to press that side down to get BTE pressure.
I asked him about this and he said that he usually does not adjust varus becuase it can mess up the metatarsel alignement or something like that.

Now in ACBAES 1 I read that adjusting varus is very important and that it is also not part of most foot bed systems. I suspect that I am a victim of such a system. (conformable).

Next week I am fitting my new boots with the same bootfitter (although I am not 100% confident in him I have not found any better)

Any advice what I should say to the fitter? Should I demand that he fills in space below the BT side, or can that mess up things like he says?

Too bad I live so far from HSS.
Matt

Re: Forefoot varus adjustment

Postby WNYSkier » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:43 am

Matt,

Lots of people have looked at your post but none have responded. I won't even pretend to be able to diagnose or recommend a course of action regarding specific alignment/correction advice for you.

Dumont is a long way from almost everywhere so many of us have to make do with the services of others. I understand that you may not have complete faith in the bootfitter, however I suggest you look at this as a "work in progress" or a joint venture with him/her. Both Heluva and I use the same local bootfitter to build our footbeds and plug boots. He is good at the basics, attentive to detail, and most importantly views fitting and alignment as a process in which we are active participants. With this relationship we are able to work together to "tune in" the boots with great results. Perhaps you can explain your thoughts with your bootfitter and establish a similar relationship. I have found the best bootfitters and ski tuners are those who actively seek feedback and enjoy working closely with their clients.

Have a great holiday and hope that you have more snow than we do in the eastern US.

Cheers,
M

Ski well. Ski fast. Have fun.
WNYSkier

Re: Forefoot varus adjustment

Postby Matt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for you input. I guess I'll have to use my own judgement when I meet the fitter.

Merry Christmas.
Matt

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System