We are ready to shut this site down.

PMTS Forum

Re: We are ready to shut this site down.

Postby arothafel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:12 pm

Don't shut it down! By the stats at the bottom of the page there are 1104 registered users. I don't know if people can lurk without being registered, but, if so, then I would suspect many thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) more are absorbing this vast library of knowledge.

If it's a matter of hosting, I'd be happy to put this site on one of my servers or help out in any way to keep it active.

PMTS is a world-wide dedicated tribe and this site is probably the "hub."

My guess is that many people are introduced to PMTS through your posts on FB, your blog, Twitter, Google, etc.

But, you KEEP and maintain a loyal following with this forum. It goes so much deeper. Like a Knowledge Base found on other sites.

Plus, there are all kinds of marketing legs with this site... and it's information. But, that's a different conversation....

Here's to a great 2016 and hope that the site stays up and active!

With much appreciation for all that you do, Harald.

Art
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:13 pm

++Like!
h.harb

Postby lostrivers » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:06 pm

h.harb wrote:In this case, to keep the forum going I was going to introduce the 6th "Essential of Skiing". But decided it would be interesting to see who can come up with it. A pair of skis will go to the one who can come up with it.

This is my first post. And probably last. Love reading the forum, but typing is not my thing.

After lurking here for roughly ten years, I can't believe Harald would hold out on an essential movement that would help all of us mere mortals to ski better.

So, IMHO, the 6th essential is proper equipment.

That means skis that have sidecut,full camber, and a decent flex pattern. They also need to be sized underfoot for the prevailing conditions. No full rocker, reverse sidecut, 140 underfoot BS allowed.

The 6th essential, proper equipment, more importantly, means proper fitting boots.

Put Hirscher or Shiffrin on a pair of soft, ill fitting boots that are 2 sizes to large, and they would struggle to ski as the ski gods that they really are. I think Harald gave us a clue in his last post in the racing forum where he talks about the proper boots for different builds of racers. Seems the same holds true for us mortals.

Anyway, I really believe that proper equipment is an essential of skiing. I see so many skiers hampered by the equipment they use, it astounds me.

Harald, you and I will probably never meet, but I believe we have similar souls. Skiing is a passion for me, maybe an obsession if you ask my wife. My obsession has only been made better by the knowledge you so generously have shared with your books, videos and websites. At age 62, I ski better than I did at 52 thanks to you and PMTS.

Lostrivers
lostrivers

Postby lukezhang » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 pm

+1, the 6th essential is boots & proper alignment.

Please keep the site up. I am volunteering to move it up to cloud and pay any cost to keep it up. Let me know if you need anything from me.
lukezhang

Postby nightsh » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 pm

There are tons of skiing forums (e.g., the two or three Chinese forums I frequently visit) whose members are mainly *SIA-associated and are inherently "anti-pmts" ('inherently' means they don't really know why they hate pmts, but they just hate it nonetheless :lol: ), whereas there is just one forum (this forum!) which reminds us pmts believers that we are not alone (as the other forums are trying desperately to make us believe). So please don't make us lose this last Ark!

As to the challenge, I would go with 'balance' (one ski balance). It might seem obvious but without it nothing works (not even tipping).
nightsh

Postby JBurke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:16 pm

I agree with the 6th Essential being "Relax." Nothing else works without it.
JBurke

Postby misterknuts » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Long time lurker and fan here. Perhaps I should have been contributing more over the years, but I feel like my knowledge is greatly inferior to those I see regularly posting, so I keep my yap shut. I don't do facebook like many others here. This site is extremely valuable to my group and I in Montana. We have bought all your books and aspire to attend camps one day. I know its a business decision and if you need to shut it down I'll understand. But if its up for a vote of some sort I'd sure love to see it stay.

I recently gave one of your books to a friend who went on to buy your videos. He has been frustrated with many years of TTS instruction at great cost. He is now on fire with the phantom move and ready to ditch everything he has learned in favor of PMTS. I was planning on hooking him up on this site so he could catch up with the years he has missed. Hope that is still possible.

Thanks again for all you do for us Harald, Diana, and all the contributors here. Happy New Years to all of you!

Dennis in Montana
misterknuts

Postby midwif » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Adding my voice; keep the site!
midwif

Postby Bolter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:31 am

Selfishly speaking, closing this site would be a huge loss to me.
I send countless people to this site and youtube to introduce them to PMTS. Combining the two can not be beat.
Please don't do it.
Bolter

Postby am-i-ghetto » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:57 am

For me personally the 6th essential is dedication. I try to make every turn an expert turn.
am-i-ghetto

Postby JBurke » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 am

6th Essential: Tailoring the other essentials for specific snow and terrain conditions.
JBurke

Postby Icanski » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi,
I just posted a note on the social chat thread wishing my PMTS friends a Happy New Year, and thanking Harald for this site. Then as I was looking around I saw this and did a double take. NO! I thought.
I get the blog, and enjoy reading it and looking at the photos and analysis, it's a great little surprise that pops up on the phone. I like reading what pops into your head Harald on a particular topic....racing, musing on pmts specifics, examples of pro racers and what they are and aren't doing. But this forum has an encyclopedic base of information in it. It also is an archive and history of PMTS culture and development which chronicles the different developments to PMTS as it has evolved. A very valuable resource, to be sure.
It is also a real "forum". Unlike a website, which is more for business, this is a forum where beginners, instructors, experts and Harald himself, can freely have great discussions, ask questions, share ideas, opinions and experiences about PMTS. I feel like I'm walking into a lodge and can go to the pro area, where I can discuss the latest equipment and trends in gear; I can go to another room/thread, and sit down with fellow PMTS instructors and Harald and discuss teaching ideas, and ask for advice, without fear of embarrassment, but openly find out more; which makes me a better instructor for my PMTS clients, whom I refer here for more information.
I can then go to specific tables in the lounge to discuss turns, different snow conditions, ski areas, exercises, just about anything PMTS I'd like to explore.
That is what I love about this forum; it is the house of PMTS where we can all meet and share what PMTS is, and help it grow.
I'm not saying we sing "Kumbaya" now, just saying that I find this forum to be unique in the ski world, and of significant value to the PMTS community.
New activity, doesn't mean lack of interest, I may not post much, but I look back at different threads to remind myself and review. I look at the discussions on aspects of techniques so I can refine my teaching and skiing. And I always look to Harald's answers on distilling things to the essential elements of the discussion. That is incredibly valuable.
This is the ONE place for PMTS to find it all.
So if possible, I would love to see it stay, and continue.
I get a lot out of it. I come here way more than the org site or website, and almost never go to the FB page. Here we have threads and can search through lots of different topics...can't do that on FB.

re: essential....I think the alignment is a good one....I see that as not so much an essential, but more as a pre-requisite. The essentials won't work if you are out of alignment, at least not well. It's a slightly different thing to me in that it's a skier/equipment compatibility thing. The 'essentials' of skydiving aren't much good if your parachute doesn't fit....know what I'm saying ;-)
I was listening/watching the DVD on performance freeskiing this morning while doing some exercising (our ski resort isn't open yet, so I'm just keeping loose) and was listening to the part near the end where Harald talks about what he thinks about as he skis....every turn has a focus and that he doesn't find that distracting. That resonated with me.
I've done several workshops with the woman who's the sports psychologist for Cirque du Soleil; and she talks about the different ways their performers prepare for each show by getting themselves into "the zone". Think about it, if they aren't in the right mindset, and focused; it could be fatal. They must know precisely[b]where they are, their body aspect, and where everyone else (like the tumbler flying towards them) is. It all comes down to the mental component. When I did Kristin Ulmer's first "Ski 2Live" clinic in Alta, we didn't work on specific technique, we worked on the mental aspect of skiing: why we do it, how do we deal with fear or nerves at the top of a steep pitch; how do we handle the nerves of going into deep powder when we haven't done it before, or encountering crud, chopped or crusty snow; or the one that sends every skier into a heightened state, I wager: ICE.
So for me, I would have to say the 6th essential is: [b]mental awareness/conditioning
. That is what I am thinking, or sensing mentally, as I perform the essentials, my awarenessof what I am doing, going to do, and awareness of others around me, what my equipment is doing, how the snow feels, all the things my minds sifts through and adjusts to as I move out on my skis. This also includes knowing, on any given day, what my limits are and using my experience to evaluate conditions...is there an avalanche danger, where are my friends, what path will I take, should I avoid this run altogether...
so there it is: "Mental Awareness. Being in the PMTS Zone.

Happy New Year, and I hope to see you on the slopes, and here on the forum. ;-)
Icanski

Postby WNYSkier » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:23 pm

The 6th Essential: Narrow Stance

Without a sufficiently narrow stance you cannot leverage the other essentials. By "sufficiently narrow" I mean narrow enough so that you are able to balance on the appropriate edge at the appropriate point in the turn. When your stance is sufficiently narrow you can balance on the inside edge of the stance ski by using CA and CB, the inside leg is free to collapse and be held back to control fore/aft balance. Only then can you build big angles and tight turns. Sufficiently narrow and you can release onto the LTE of the free foot, maintaining balance until you choose to use the phantom move to engage the ski into the new turn. Too wide and you will always have some weight and pressure on the other ski, you will lose pressure, grip, and energy.

The difference is not subtle: An inch too wide and everything is soft and mushy, but when the stance is narrow enough, everything becomes precise and powerful.
M

Ski well. Ski fast. Have fun.
WNYSkier

Postby WNYSkier » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Oh, regarding shutting down the site: Obviously this is your call, others have posted compelling arguments for keeping it up in some form, all of which I agree with. Keeping it open as an archive, rather than an active resource to exchange information, thoughts, and knowledge is probably the least effective option.

I have followed the forum religiously for close to eight years, contributing sporadically. Through PMTS, and this site specifically, I have reconstructed my skiing to be one of the best technical skiers, and one of the strongest students of skiing in my region. No BS there, Heluvaskier will testify.

The point is that it is the forum, the members, and Harald who have all been responsible for the knowledge, feedback, and encouragement during the journey. I hope that the forum will continue to exist not only for my benefit, but for others who are embarking, or will embark, on the PMTS journey.
M

Ski well. Ski fast. Have fun.
WNYSkier

Postby Bolter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:48 pm

h.harb wrote:In this case, to keep the forum going I was going to introduce the 6th "Essential of Skiing". But decided it would be interesting to see who can come up with it. A pair of skis will go to the one who can come up with it.

The sixth essential is . . . "Use the inside half of the body for movement and balance on the outside ski." Blog quote from HH
Bolter

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System