We are ready to shut this site down.

PMTS Forum

Re: We are ready to shut this site down.

Postby speedcontrol » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Balanced turn !
speedcontrol

Postby Hobbit » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:29 am

The sixth essential -- for me all essentials are identifying the movements -- it's PMTS after all.

Per canonical book definitions:
#1. Tipping -- the primary way to put the skis on the edge and achieve balance in the side way plane.
#2. Flexion / Extention -- as a way to achieve short/long leg; flex to relese falls into this set of movements as well.
#3. Counter Balance -- as a way to ensure proper tipping and balance.
#4. Counter Action -- as a way to control (eliminate) rotation.
#5. For/Aft Balance -- as a way to properly engage the ski length wise with the changing slope and the phases of the turn.

From the point of view of plains of movements what is covered is side way and for/aft. What's remaining for the overall body positioning is the up/down direction. This is the stance height management through using legs flexion. We know that good PMTS skiers do not show the body pop up movements during transition. I think this is just one side of it. The other part is that if they want to crank the the really high angles turn they will be much more flexed in transition which allows for a much bigger range of tipping motion. In the opposite situation, if I don't need such a high angles I would be flexed less in the transition.

So
#6. Stance height management.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby deicreo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:12 am

In PMTS everything begins at the bottom of the kinetic chain with Tipping as the most important movement.
The other Essential movements happen higher in the kinetic chain.
Thus, the one movement - in spite of the fact that is thoroughly described in Book 1&2 and Essentials - , yet has not been promoted to the status of Essential movement
is: Hands and Poles use/management.

Shutting this site down would be a huge loss, especially for those who live outside of USA. Please, keep it going.
deicreo

Postby blackthorn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:45 am

Another concept that is unique to PMTS is the way it relates to pressure management and the relationship to active and passive movements as embodied in the principle of "don't push off". It's this that gives PMTS its flow and efficiency and for me after balance is the next most important attribute. After that the primary movements are necessary but not sufficient.
Last edited by blackthorn on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
blackthorn

Postby AnI » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:05 am

By the way.... When Harald stated that they are ready to shut the site down, he evidently meant "www.pmts.org". We associate this site with the forum. However, the forum is only a part of the site, hidden under one of the links on the main page. The forum is alive, but the rest of the site has not been updated for a while. I can see why Harald sees it as redundant. Visitors who stumbled upon pmts.org might find it not up to date and not that informative (aside from the Forum).

My proposal to Harald: please consider moving the forum, with all its existing content, to "Harbskisystems" domain. Both sites are running on a PHP server. I am guessing that it may be possible to transfer the forum to HarbSkiSystems without major programming efforts. After that, pmts.org can indeed be shut down.

The second possible solution is to remove the existing content of pmts.org related to association of instructors and move the forum to the front page. Instead of http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/, the link to the forum will become simply www.pmts.org, and visitors who go to this page will see the contents of the Forum on the front page.
AnI

Postby mardale » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:55 am

I am really tempted to say "discipline" (or rather "dedication" ?) to seek the information that can make you a better skier, seek to understand it, practice it, own it...

But the others are movements... movements to entice the ski into turning while balancing on it... hmm

Good challenge! Certainly breathing some life into the forum, see that many pay attention and do peruse this fountain of information!

Not to say that the website(s) couldn't use some revamping, possibly try to find a more efficient structuring, although the limited, specific and consistent vocabulary creates the proper environment and allows google to do a decent job at it...
mardale

Postby skijim13 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:08 am

This site is very useful source of information, I have learned a great deal about PMTS that is no found in any of the books or videos. I have collected over 150 pages in a word document that I often read and learn from.
skijim13

Postby DCF » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

The most essential element to my expert skiing is Harald. The sixth essential has to be flexibility and range of motion.
DCF

Postby Jeet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 am

6th Essential - Boot alignment, cuff & foot beds.
Jeet

Postby Louis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:15 am

I agree. I also guess it is alignment etc. . If I do not have a huge range of motion I can still balance on the outside ski and show correct counteracting. Even that will be hard or impossible if the alignment is very bad.
Louis

Postby skijim13 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:47 am

To me the most imporant part is making sure I am doing the movements correctly that is why video analysis of you skiing is essential to validate you are doing the movements correctly.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:15 am

I'm with Hobbit... the first 5 Essentials are all movements. Harald is consistent, so the 6th (7th?, 8th?... :shock: ) will also be about movement.

However, I believe #2 flexion/extension covers stance height management. What isn't covered is what deicreo mentioned, pole/hand use... plus head movements. So... #6 is hand & head movements.
DougD

Postby LiquidFeet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:05 am

I'm reading thoroughly in this forum in preparation for my first camp this month. Please do not take it down! There is a wealth of information here.

As far as a sixth essential, Harald is consistent as someone mentioned so that probably needs to be taken into account.
So I'm going with Stance Height Management, which someone already mentioned upthread.
Appropriately chosen and adjusted boots and skis would be a good essential, too, but it's not a movement.
LiquidFeet

Postby Bonz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:53 pm

I hope the forum doesn't shut down. There is a lot of good knowledge here.

But as for the lack of traffic on the forum, to me its not surprising. Its not an inviting place. Sorry, but it really isnt. I can see a lot of people finding the website/forum being intimidated and not hanging around for more than a look. Its really surprising there isnt a "Beginner Forum". Basically anyone thats never heard of or practiced PMTS is a beginner. The prevailing opinion of most of this community is that everyone should practice PMTS and if they dont they are really missing out, etc... but the recruiting department is pretty weak, as so far as the vibe of the forum towards "new people" is.

Im just thankful, im probably a little more curious and thick-skinned than the average person, and delved a little more into this than the average person would; despite some deterrents.
Bonz

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:04 pm

Bonz wrote:I hope the forum doesn't shut down. There is a lot of good knowledge here.

But as for the lack of traffic on the forum, to me its not surprising. Its not an inviting place. Sorry, but it really isnt. I can see a lot of people finding the website/forum being intimidated and not hanging around for more than a look. Its really surprising there isnt a "Beginner Forum". Basically anyone thats never heard of or practiced PMTS is a beginner. The prevailing opinion of most of this community is that everyone should practice PMTS and if they dont they are really missing out, etc... but the recruiting department is pretty weak, as so far as the vibe of the forum towards "new people" is.

Im just thankful, im probably a little more curious and thick-skinned than the average person, and delved a little more into this than the average person would; despite some deterrents.

If a new reader searches before asking a question chances are excellent that they will find the answer before they post. Nearly every question I can think of has been asked and answered multiple times.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System