MA request on BPST

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby jclayton » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:17 pm

As always Harald reminds us that good tipping is the key to get you on the right track . And the key to good tipping is starting with the little toe edge ofthe stance ski . RIDE THE PIG or go for the "O" frame .

Carver , you still have vestiges of the Hong Kong rush hour skiing . I guess we have to remember in Hong Kong that is 24 hours of rush .

If you look at the videos of Thomas Grandi free skiing he comes around so much it is like he goes into slow motion , then releases and lays the little toe edge right over . Try pointing across to the slope side and change edges while in this position , fix a target on the wall and change pointing at it .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby carver_hk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Thank you all for contributing to the direction of where I should go. I checked those videos of great skiing and its really good to see the differences pin-pointed. There is so much to work on, I guess I ll need quite sometime to do another update. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby jclayton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:42 am

SO MUCH TO WORK ON .

He he , join the club .

One of the big advantages of PMTS is that the way is so well pinpointed that you always feel you are on the right track !! Makes it all more enjoyable .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby carver_hk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 am

jclayton wrote:SO MUCH TO WORK ON .
You bet, even well on target, skiing is such a difficult to achieve 'something' sport that even you know what to do, u still have to work hard and beware not to deviate from where u should be heading. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 am

I m just happy to show that skiing on IM72 is same as my hellfire (66 midwidth), I was a bit worry when I buy this new skis. I m seeing no progress (not much practice form last time yet). Of course, MA(probably highlighted my weakness due to the difference in midwidth) welcome and will be much appreciated. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkK4kWwhyE
carver_hk

Postby geoffda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Hey HK,

For 97% of us :D the BPST is going to be a brushed carve. What you want to work to develop is, as Skier Synergy sez, is "the ability to be more analog and less digital." Remember the TFR you were working on? Try linking them and use the Phantom Move. Just the amount of mental confusion that having to think about what you are doing will cause you should slow your engagement down enough so that you don't get edge lock at the top of the turn :D. Go find Harald's Blog entry on linked TFR and watch what he is doing. Then go watch Max501s clip on brushed carving. Then go watch one of Harald's brushed carving segments. That should give you the range you have to work with. In the ubiqutious Max footage, he is brushing most of the turn. In Harald's footage, the brush is minimal; just a bit of the high C. Depending on how skilled (and how scared :D ) you are, a BPST could look like either of those turns or anything in between. But the absolute critical skill is to master the art of the brush.

Step away from the edged lock carve sir, nobody has to get hurt... :D

Now go back to your refrigerator and try to spend the entire session *without* making an edge-locked turn. Once you can do that, you can start playing with it. Start brushed and finish edge-locked. Vary the amount of time you spend brushed vs. edge locked. Give us some more footage once you've got the concept down & we can help with the technical pieces.
geoffda

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 pm

You have a wedge entry in your left hand turns. You are finding out that a wider ski is slower to edge, so you are pushing the right leg out to make the edge, and neglecting the weight transfer.

I'd perfect the one-footed release before moving on to the two footed release, because it will force you to transfer your weight properly.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Well this is the perfect thread, as I'm working on a new Video post that is all about two footed releases and how they develop, from one release, into BPST.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks all for offering help. It looks the wider skis revealed my ultimate problem. So I ll back to 1fr>2fr>bpsrt with this skis again. :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Martin,

have you ever looked at your movements in slow motion?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 pm

MonsterMan wrote:have you ever looked at your movements in slow motion?
My usual practice is check both normal and slomo many times before I post. However, the issues I saw as a learning skier is very often way different from the experts here. For example this vid my concentration is to:

1. keep inside hand high
2. tip earlier
3. engage as late as possible
4. ease off the sharp edge lock engagement ( I believe interpreted as skating here) while maintain a good speed for next turns utilizing the rebound.
5. release with outside skis with added flexion and good pull back so that I don't fall backseat.
6. sufficient CA to ensure good gripping( due to the very icy condition)

with so many things to care about I could only judge my skiing from the more important stuff that I had in mind. Obviously I can also see wedges but I though it was due to insufficient flexion and insufficient tipping. So what to work on next? that's the big question I have. Now experts here pointed out to me I should go back to the releases. I m happy to have this great direction. Otherwise I would spent a great deal of times working on something irrelevant to my problem. :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 am

Playing arround with some "non-maaaaaccc" software.

As I don't think you've been to a camp CarverHK, I thought I would post some video including some of an advanced pmts skier like Max501 and some aspiring pmts devotees doing exercises. The point to note is how slow we ski in trying to ingrain the movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNMGn0c8jw&feature=youtube_gdata

Hope this helps in some way, I had fun making it anyway.

Geoff

edit, spot the spelling mistake and win complementary membership of the Hintertux beer Club.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Kiwi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 am

Too many rr{s} in around. I guess I may have to get to Austria now!!

Kiwi

Actually I'm still trying to sort out Colorado in the near future.
Kiwi

Postby Baja1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:27 am

"Pcractice Slowly, it is still fun."

When do I get my membership card?

(Thanks for the video work, Geoff. It's helpful.)
Baja1

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks Geoff! Eventually I can now watch the video you worked out. It was 'private' a while ago. You did a great work to tell what is the desired outcome and how to get it. Yes, as I work on 2fr and linked 2fr I realize the importance of getting everything right slowly and then speed it up gradually. The problem I have here in the fridge is that its not very icy but extremely icy, if i don't get an edge lock carve soon enough I ll lost grip and fall inside, if I get it too soon I ll end up making too little fall line angle and its not short turns anymore. If I engage too late I ll get broken off the grip(due to too high pressure) just because its icy and I wont be able to do a proper release. So, what I ll do now is to start over from 1fr and try to find out what is the missing link toward the BPSRT. :D
carver_hk

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video