how do you determine the correct boot flex in the shop?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

how do you determine the correct boot flex in the shop?

Postby hayduke » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:07 pm

I just tried on a nordica hotrod and it fit like a glove. the flex was 130, and i thought that would be too much for me, but it felt softer than the boot that i have now, and it was easy to flex . but its 80 degrees here now, not exactly slopeside conditions. i have read quite a bit about bootfitting after a few mistakes, but i have never read anywhere how to determine the correct flex. any suggestions?
hayduke

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Heyduke, I don't think that there is a formulaic answer to this question. Size and weight can have much to do with it. Having said this, skiing style and technique can have much more to do with how much stiffness one needs in a boot. Harald is 5 10' and he weighs 150-155 lbs. Based upon this he should be skiing a softer boot, yet he skis his best in the RD 96 which is one of the stiffest race boots made. Diana who is 5 8" 135 also skis in the same boot.

The reason why is technique. Harald and Diana both align their skeltons appropriately over the skis so that they can use the maximum force from their weight and from the G forces inherent in truns to flex the boot, and flex they do!!

As well if you ski more off piste and/or you are less on edge when you ski, by definition you will be flexing the boots less and you may want a softer boot. If you are carving and/or on hard snow, you need more support.

Size and weight are variables, but technique and the way you ski are just as important. I realize that I haven't answered the question, but hopefully this helps some. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Ron » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:14 am

I own the Hot rod, Mine is from last year and the flex is 110. Great boot but keep in mind that when it gets very cold, the boot gets progressively stiffer. Jbotti is absolutely correct about flex though. The only problem I have had is getting out of them on those 10 degree or lower days :)
Thanks

Ron
Ron

Postby Ron » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:26 am

Make that a 115 flex. Sorry- no edit function
Thanks

Ron
Ron

testing boot flex

Postby hayduke » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:13 pm

i have heard that one way NOT to test flex is by putting all your weight on one leg and all the weight on the ball of that foot, which seems to be what most folks do. i know you guys like the doberman. does that include the flex 100 model? and how does tat compare to the hotrod 115 in flex and fit? i have an A width foot. thanks
hayduke

Postby jbotti » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:29 pm

The nordica plugs and semi plugs come in two different lasts. The WC Doberman is a 95mm last and this is for the 150 flex and the 100 flex. The Doberman Pro comes in a 130 and a 110 flex and this is a 98mm last. I believe these measuremenst represent the width of the boot (in the forefoot) on a size 26 boot. If you are an A width, and assuming that you also have a low volume foot as well, you will want the 95mm last.

I can't remember which one, but either the 100 or the 110 has a low cuff which is not really suitable for taller skiers, but works well for woman and for shorter men and juniors.

This year there is also the Agressor (i think that's what it is called) and this has more of a toes out, heels in stance. I really have no idea whether this is a good idea or not. Harald carries the Nordica line and he would be a good person to ask abot this boot.

Other lines that carry an easier flexing, tight last boot would be Head which makes the RS 96. This is a 96mm width boot in a 130 flex but when you take out both screws in back it drops to around 110-115.

Dolomite makes their pro z in a 110 flex and I believe that this is a 98mm last.

The Atomic RT CS is also a softer flexing version of their WC race boot.

I hope that helps some. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Harald » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:19 pm

John, You are good, thanks for the very accurate information. The Doberman's have high rubber content feel, especially when warm. They are temperature sensitive, but they hold up very well in 32 degrees and less. Anyone who thinks Doberman 130's are too soft, probably has not skied it in winter temperatures, it is not too soft , unless you are a world cup skier.

I don't recommend the Doberman 150, unless you have been a full time racer at some point in your career.

The Hot Rod is a nice alternative to the 130, if you like a slightly softer feel, wider fit and the shell feels a lot thinner then most boots I'm used to, at least to me.

The Doberman 130 is a high performance boot that you can live with skiing everyday. If I was skiing on Nordica I'd probably ski the 130 with a Booster most days. These boots are all hard to get out of and get on, when cold.

I don't use that as criteria for my boot selection, as I know how to get a stiff, cold boot on my foot. And I think its' worth the extra preparation, keeping them warm.

I've been doing it my whole life, it is part of the game, like sleeping on a verticle rock wall is for a mountain climber, most normal people wouldn't do it.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Return to Gear