Returning to skiing need advice for new skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Returning to skiing need advice for new skis

Postby shadogang » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 am

Hello all,
I am returning to skiing after a few years off (15 - KIDS). I have started to ski at my local hill and am currently using a pair of Rossi Bandits 177cm(borrowed). As this is my first experiance with the new shaped ski, i am looking for suggestions for some skis.
When i left skiing, I had Rossi STS series 2 in 195cm and was going to buy longer. Now I understand that with the new shaped skis everyone is going shorter. I would say I was an advanced intermediate skier, that is I would ski all terrain, but bumps were more challanging for me.
I live in the east (New Hampshire), and would like a ski that would cover the whole mountain.
I am 6' @ 230lbs and would appreciate any comments.
Thanks
shadogang

Postby Mac » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:49 am

Where in NH do you ski most? Do you prefer any particular brand? Do you like a wider waisted ski for all conditions, or would you prefer a narrower waisted ski that would be better on ice and would be a better choice to improve on your carving technique? Are you looking to buy new, used, or maybe a leftover pair from last season? I live in Rhode Island, but I'm in NH frequently, so if you give me some info, I can help to point you in the right direction.
Mac

Postby shadogang » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I am volunteering with the local Patrol at Pat's Peak. Small mountain, but it is close to home which makes it real handy. I have been looking at Fischer (Progressor's, AMC 76, RX9) The skis I am using have a narrower waist and I was thinking I might like a wider waist. Something that would work well in most conditions Crud, Fresh, Groomed. As for new used or left over, it does not make a difference to me just looking for a good deal.
Thanks
shadogang

Postby Mac » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Fischer makes a nice ski, but tend to be on the lighter side, as they employ a number of different ways to lighten the cores of their skis. I haven't skied all the skis they make, but from what I can tell, that same lightness makes them not as stable in crud, and perhaps not as suitable for a bigger guy. Just my opinion though, someone else may have a totally different take on that. I personally am partial to Head and Elan skis, I have found them to be quite durable, and more suited to larger people (wood cores, metal laminate). Nordica makes a beefy ski, too (also made by Elan), I am told the Elan and Nordica skis feel more similar know than in the past. I am not real fond of Volkl, Rossi, Salomon, etc. I have had durability issues with all of them. If you are only going to have one pair, and are looking for a ski that handles all conditions, you are probably going to be happy with something in the 74-82 waist dimension category. The Head im78 and iM82, the Elan Magfire 12, Nordica Top Fuel all come to mind that would be suitable for a bigger guy. I personally would prefer a narrower waisted ski (68-72) for an everyday ski here in the East, something in the cross category, ala the Head XRC line, Elan Speedwave and Fusion Pro, Nordica Mach series, etc, but I seem to be in the minority on that subject. I'm not familiar with any ski shops around Pats, but I know that Rodger's Ski Shop in Lincoln carries most of the models that I mentioned and have them set up to demo. Once you find something that you like, let me know, there are plenty of deals to be had out there. Good luck.
Mac

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:02 pm

6', 230#, advanced intermediate. You might be on anything from 170 to 180-something depending on the internal construction of the ski.

1--$20 spent for a subscription to Peter Keelty's techsupportforskiers.com is money very well spent. Peter has the best ski reviews I've seen.

2--Use Peter's review to make a list of skis to demo. The difference between different excellent skis on your feet or on my feet is sometimes huge. The difference between the longest ski in a line and one size shorter is sometimes huge.

3--Get ready for end-of-season sales of shops' demo skis. I've gotten excellent skis at significant savings.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby rlspalding » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I will soon have a pair of used 2008 Head iSuperShapes w/ the FF14 bindings @ 175cm for sale if your interested. I wouldnt be able to get them to you until mid - March.

Technically, right now they are brand spanking new. Although I leave next week for a month long ski trip in Korea and they are the only pair of skis I brought with me.

The only reason I will be getting rid of them is apparently they are too long :(

I discussed skis with my instructor and he though 165-175 would be a good length for my weight and skiing. So I went out and bought the 175 cm...dont know why...anyways after some discussion with HH, he thinks the 175 would be too big for me.

I am 5' 8" @ 185 (I was 195 when I bought the skis :D )

You can read what people think about these skis further down on the gear discussions.
rlspalding

Postby Icanski » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 pm

rl
I am 5-10 and 180 and I am on the 165 SS. I love them. They work really well at that size in everything I can throw at them, or perhaps I should say: everything I throw them at!
My other skis are Stockli racing Laser SC in a 177. I need to be flying at mach 2 to get much out of them. So I advise you to go to the shorter 165-168 or so size. The width of the shovel and tail compensate for the length. I at first felt a bit odd on the shorter skis, but now it feels odd to be on the longer ones.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby François » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Here's a pair I would buy if my wife wasn't already mad at me for buying too many skis.

http://listings.ebay.ca/_W0QQsocmdZList ... arch&fgtp=
François

Postby rlspalding » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 am

Icanski wrote: So I advise you to go to the shorter 165-168 or so size. The width of the shovel and tail compensate for the length. I at first felt a bit odd on the shorter skis

Yea, my old pair were size 155cm so 165 wont seem too small...lol
Unfortunately I bought these skis and the arrived the day I left to be overseas for 3 months. Now, the 175cm SS are the only skis I packed with me and so I'll probably use them for the 1 month of skiing I have coming next week! and then sell them used when I get back...
Its poor money management, but my loss will be someone's gain..as long as they weigh 220...lol

Your link didnt work Francois...it just went to a Head search page on ebay.
rlspalding

Return to Gear