160 or 165cm?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

160 or 165cm?

Postby barry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 am

I am thinking of buying a pair of i.SL or SuperShape. I am 1.71m tall, and 74 kg weight.

I am quite sure 170cm skis of this calibre are too long for me. I like doing short turns most of the time. I have skied i.SL at 165cm, SS at 160 and 165cm. I found them all very good for me, but I am not sure which length suits me most.

I would appreciate your advice.
barry

Re: 160 or 165cm?

Postby nugget » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Barry
I just lost a long reply that i was typing to u which is a bummer.
Ski length will depend on where and what u ride MAINLY if u have only a 1 ski quiver.
I am 165cm and weigh 75kgs (more or less) and ski the iSupershape at 165cm as an all mountain ski. Ski mainly Mt. Ruapehu, New Zealand which is a maritime climate with a moist snowpack. Lots of rock hard days and melt/freeze conditions throughout the season and the shapes go off in these conditions. On/off piste they are great at that length for me. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate. Have about 25-30 days a season (sadly).
Scroll through the first few pages of the forums (PMTS and Gear) and there are plenty of opinions on the supershape re length and some good skiers discuss what works for them.
In the end YOU choose and u can't really go wrong. I think that most would point u to the supershape at 165cm (MINIMUM)for your weight/height (170cm probably better but that depends). They lend themselves to PMTS techniques so well.
Good Luck.
nugget

Return to Gear