Is the k2 apche recon an acceptable PMTS ski?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Is the k2 apche recon an acceptable PMTS ski?

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 am

Hello. I currently use a 2004 Rossignol b2 bandit. I'm kind of itching to get a new pair of skis. I can "make it down" runs marked expert (when snow is soft) at Squaw Valley but I am not an expert. I ski mostly at Tahoe with an occaisional Colorado or Utah trip. Using all 3 of Harb's books. 6 feet, 193lbs. looking at 177cm apache recon. Hoping to attend a Harb camp some day. Would this ski be a good choice? Thanks in advance. Ray
Ray

Re: Is the k2 apche recon an acceptable PMTS ski?

Postby jbotti » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Ray, I live on the bay area, and I have skied at Squaw a lot.

As for your question on the K2 Apache Recon, I can say a few things. First K2 is known for producing very damp skis. I find them well beyond damp, and I would call them lacking snap and life. In the same category (all mountain mid fat) Head makes what most PMTS skiers think is a great ski, and that is the Head IM 78. This is a great ski for Squaw for everything except the really deep days with Heavy Tahoe snow. On that note, Harald would gladly ski Squaw with the wettest snow and love it on the IM 78's. It really is a great ski that will give you the appropriate feedback that you want as you hone your PMTS technique. It will carve beautifully in both GS and tighter turns, it will give you nice rebound if you pressure the tips and build energy during the turn, and it is great off piste, in bumps, crud and fresh snow.

Lastly, great deals on the IM 78 are readily available on Ebay and other places. I think it is a vastly superior ski to the Apache Recon, which I have skied.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:17 am

Thanks John. Would you call the IM78 a forgiving ski?
Ray

Postby jbotti » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:28 am

Yes, I would. Contrary to what I have heard some say, it is not a very stiff ski. You can get back on it some off piste and it will not run out from under you. I think that they could make the skis slightly firmer and it would still be very versatile. The 78 chip however is much too stiff IMO. That ski is not fun off piste.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear