Compression Socks

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Compression Socks

Postby jbotti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 pm

I thought I would post this in case others have similar issues. At the suggestion of Diana I have been wearing compression socks at sea level a day before I head to the mountains and then while in the mountains for several days. This has done wonders for the variability in foot volume that occurs with me in my first several days at altitude (my feet swell and then thin out and then swell again if it gets warm). The compression socks have been great and this most recent trip my foot has been absolutely the same size every day (can't really remember this happening before) and I have been wearing compression socks every day. I can't wear them skiing as the combo of a tight boot and the compression socks is too much and I go numb. I wear them in the morning before skiing and then in the afternoon and evening up until bed. I cant really sleep with them either, just to much compression.

For those that have any of these issues, get some good compression socks and be diligent with wearing them. They are a pain to put on but so worth it!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Compression Socks

Postby blackthorn » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm

I wear compression socks - medium compression whatever that means - for international airtravel and they certainly help foot swelling if travelling between hemispheres for skiing trips. Mine are ones purchased through a pharmacy generally for DVT prevention. I have tried and can tolerate sleeping in mine - just. I need to get rid of any foot swelling as I have just under 1 cm between heel and boot shell when fitted.

What "strength" compression socks do you use?
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 am

Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 am

For me, compression socks in the medium range - 20-30mmHg at ankle work well and likely more comfortable than the extra firm model that you use. But I suspect that individual tendency to swelling is variable, and other travel and locality factors come into play - so a bit of trial and error might be involved.
blackthorn

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Having had two rounds of DVT’s — blood clots in my legs...the first from being hit by a snowboarder; the second from knee surgery that led to full blown pulmonary embolisms in both lungs....had a very nice five day hospital vacation... and the increased pulmonary pressures in my lungs just happened to blow open a half inch diameter hole in my heart; fortunately fixed by some great doctors....I guess I could say I am now quite familiar with compression socks! MULTIPLE brands of compression socks...

I now use a brand called zero point —. https://zpcompression.us/. GREAT socks for skiing even in my very tight, Harb fitted Raptor B2 boots. They are very thin, very warm due to a merino wool mix and a medium compression of 20-30mm. FWIW, I also wear compression tights as my base layer. The socks are about $50.00 a pair. Not cheap, but I alternate three pair and I have gone well over 150 days of skiing in them and they still show little or no wear.

Do they help? I think so. Legs usually feel pretty good at the end of a skiing day. Are they worth it? For me yes...but I am an extreme case...

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby harrharrison » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:06 pm

jbotti wrote:I thought I would post this in case others have similar issues. At the suggestion of Diana I have been wearing compression socks at sea level a day before I head to the mountains and then while in the mountains for several days. This has done wonders for the variability in foot volume that occurs with me in my first several days at altitude (my feet swell and then thin out and then swell again if it gets warm). The compression socks have been great and this most recent trip my foot has been absolutely the same size every day (can't really remember this happening before) and I have been wearing compression socks every day. I can't wear them skiing as the combo of a tight boot and the compression socks is too much and I go numb. I wear them in the morning before skiing and then in the afternoon and evening up until bed. I cant really sleep with them either, just to much compression.

For those that have any of these issues, get some good men's compression socks for sport and be diligent with wearing them. They are a pain to put on but so worth

I wore compression socks for two marathons in the Sahara Desert in two days, and there was only a small blister that impressed me. I am going to use it as a Christmas present for my son, who will face extreme weather conditions in the Spanish mountains.
harrharrison

Return to Gear