Ski & Boots for bumps

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Ski & Boots for bumps

Postby alex_aku » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 am

Hi guys

I'd like to start practicing bump skiing - nothing extreme, no zip-line, but moderate terrain, "red" steepness (in Europe). The question is which type of ski (&boots) would make it easier.
I found a recommendation of an ex-vice-Olympic champion in mogul : no race carver but rather GS or All-mountain type of ski with a less aggressive shape, rather longer than shorter. Boot flex (for men) should not exceed 100-120.

What I've got:
- Head SS i.Speed 170cm - it's got 14m radius so according to the above it is "too aggressive"? and maybe too short for me (I am 189cm tall)?
- Fischer MTN pro 86 Ti in 175cm - it's an all-mountain ski with 17m radius, so in theory should suit better, but is it not too wide with 86cm under foot?
- what would be an "ideal" bump ski look like for me?
- my boots Nordica have 130 flex - too stiff?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Alex
alex_aku

Re: Ski & Boots for bumps

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 am

Bump skiing tests the strengths of ones SRT and requires all the essentials to be in place to be in place pretty much all the time. The skis you are talking about (more GS like with less sidecut) are the skis the professional bumpers ski with. They use a different approach in skiing bumps than the PMTS approach in that they deploy some active rotary and everything they do is in the zipper line. Your SS Speed will be the easiest and best ski to use in bumps as that is the ski that you will be able to make the best and quickest SRT's on.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Re the Nordic’s 130 flex boots....be careful of flex ratings....there is no universal standard# as to “flex” or stiffness.

I own and use the red 2019 Nirdica 130 boot based on the recommendation from the crew at HSS. This boot has become my daily driver on the mountain here at Vail. But that is because I spend an inordinate amount of time in my boots— often 7 to 9 hours per day, 5-6 days a week working. I need a working boot —not a race boot.

They are in NO WAY as responsive — or as stiff— as my Head R3’s— also billed as a 130 flex. THAT boot is awesome. Flick to the little toe edge and your’re off to races. Fun fun fun. Incredible boot.

In short, The Nordica’s are furry slippers compared to the R3’s. But they work very well. You will have no problem with them in the bumps.

As mentioned, the ski is more important than the boot in bumps. More specifically, it is the turn radius and the flex pattern that matters to us non-professional or recreational bump skiers. FWIW, Hart makes a great bump ski...

At the end of the day, it is the PMTS movements that are primary. The equipment is secondary.

VailSteve.
Vailsteve

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:42 am

I've never seen HH suggest changing boots for bumps.
Max_501

Postby ErikCO » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:06 pm

I have an enjoyable time skiing bumps with both a 170 SS iSpeed and a 165 iSL (non-rd). Head Raptor 130s. And I even have some video from camp showing that my PMTS essentials stay reasonably intact. About the only thing I notice is that if I am on a stiffer ski, I get jarred and thrown around a lot if my timing is off or my CB is lacking. Based on that, I'd tentatively say that trying to learn to ski bumps in a PMTS manner on a set of FIS-GS skis sounds intensly uncomfortable (and probably frustrating).
ErikCO

Postby alex_aku » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:01 am

Thanks a lot jbotti, Vailsteve, Max_501 and ErikCo!

So I am all set to challenge myself in bumps.
The only issue left is to find any bumps - I spent the last week in Zillertal/Mayrhofen - ski resort with 140km Piste - and didn't see a single run with bumps. They all get ironed out nowadays with high-tech Pisten-Bullies. We didn't have much new snow so no typical smaller bumps on the afternoon either.
But fine, I have done some research and identified an few areas that still have some bumps, Kitzbühel, etc.

Alex
alex_aku

Return to Gear