Boot Modification - easy removal/ refitting of liner

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Boot Modification - easy removal/ refitting of liner

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:15 am

I am sure that at some point, most of us have suffered from the same issue - pain in the ass removal and refitting of your liners..my liners are removed after each ski day to facilitate better drying. Despite warm boots, refitting the liner is always a chore that often ends up in skin being removed from my knuckles...i have tried dry silicone spray, but this seemed like a temp fix, and not great at best...

After some research, i discovered Anti Friction Tape - or UHMW Tape. This tape has a very low friction coefficient and has multiple uses - like the slip pads on the underside of your computer mouse..so why not use it in a ski boot?

Here is the finished mod:

I am very impressed - much less resistance and even better than dry silicone spray..

Here is a link for a similar type in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JDIW/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Definitely worth the effort..
go_large_or_go_home

Re: Boot Modification - easy removal/ refitting of liner

Postby noobSkier » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:02 pm

thanks, I will try this. Destroyed 2 sets of liners so far, well into my third...nothing left to lose :lol:
noobSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am

I can report back...I managed to grab (last minute) 3 days skiing in Japan..the anti friction tape works amazingly well. Way less friction than dry silicone spray...

If you value the skin on your knuckles and you take your liners out after every ski day, this modification is highly recommended..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Another product to consider is called the Boothorn https://skisnowboardboothorn.com.

It is flexible plastic with a slick surface on one side which is similar to UHMW tape. It is marketed for assistance in putting on boots (as with a shoe horn). You slip it in the back of the boot, insert your foot, and withdraw the thin plastic. For me, it works remarkably well in putting on my boots. It is also marketed for reinserting liners into boots, but I have not tried that application.

I just got it a few weeks ago, so I don't know how durable the slick surface really is.It seems that I could probably make one myself, using the flexible plastic used in some travel cutting boards, and non-stick spray or UHMW tape to make it extra slick. It's not very expensive, so it might be worth checking out.
Erik

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:46 pm

If you put your boots on racer style all these issues disappear. I went traditional for years and I was convinced that I did not have the hand strength to get in and out of boots racer style. Spent the day getting bootwork done by Diana on 150 flex boots about 2-3 years ago. With some great lessons and coaching by the end of the day I was an expert at getting in and out of boots racer style. And I will never go back. Way better and your liner is already out and you never have to bang up your hands getting them back in.

I will mention that the Intuition Pro Tongue liners are quite firm and stiff and they making getting in and out of boots racer style a breeze.

Try it. I know you will like it!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby VAskier » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 pm

I'll second that, jbotti. Racer style is the only way I'll go into my boots. It's nearly impossible for me to get into them if the liners (intuition pro tongue) are already in the shell.
VAskier

Postby ssand » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:31 pm

What IS the Racer style? And what does "your shell is already out" mean?
ssand

Postby jbotti » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 am

I should have said liner is already out. Racer style is putting a lace up liner on and then sliding your foot and liner into the shell. For boots with a glove like fit or for stiffer flexing boots it is the best and easiest way to boot up.
jbotti

Postby GregM » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 am

jbotti wrote:If you put your boots on racer style all these issues disappear. I went traditional for years and I was convinced that I did not have the hand strength to get in and out of boots racer style. Spent the day getting bootwork done by Diana on 150 flex boots about 2-3 years ago. With some great lessons and coaching by the end of the day I was an expert at getting in and out of boots racer style. And I will never go back. Way better and your liner is already out and you never have to bang up your hands getting them back in.

I will mention that the Intuition Pro Tongue liners are quite firm and stiff and they making getting in and out of boots racer style a breeze.

Try it. I know you will like it!!

I have a pair of Dalbello DRS boots which are 150 flex and a very tight and comfortable fit.
I can put those on easily when the shells are at a room temperature or better. I do carry the boots in the warmer boot bag so putting those on is never a problem.
But getting those off is always a big deal. Even in relatively warm weather I have to sit in my car with the heat on high for like 10 min before the boots get somewhat flexible enough to get out. Sometimes I just get out of my right boot so I can drive from Keystone to my condo and take the left one off when I am back home :).

You mentioned lessons and coaching on this. Are there some links I can look into to see what could be done to mitigate or solve my problem?
Or maybe you can share some tips which would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GregM

Postby jbotti » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 am

Getting out of tight 150 flex boots when they are cold is not easy. Very firm liners (like the Intuition Pro Tongue) help but when 150 flex boots are super cold (like 15F or colder) they are nearly impossible to get out of. In mid 20s temps I can get out with some hard work with my Pro Tongues. I mostly ski out of my home which is slopeside, and I keep a hair dryer by my bench. so I hit them with the hair dryer for 30-45 seconds and its a piece of cake. Finding a way to run a hair dryer in your car would be great (not sure it can be done) but you can carry a small one in your boot bag and hit your boots in any indoor area where there is an outlet. It does work great.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:58 am

There is no online video that I know of to learn the best boot in and out techniques. But if you stop by the HSS shop and ask for a 10 minute lesson I bet you they will give you one. Be careful, Harald has ridiculous hand strength so what works for him does not work for many. My lessons were from Diana.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm

GregM,
You don't mention if you're going racer-style, as JB calls it, for entry and exit from the shell, or if you're attempting to remove your foot from the liner while it is still in the boot. In my experience, the latter is nearly impossible with a race fit in the modern crop of plug boots that have extremely tall lowers. The former, can be aided with practice, silicone sprays and a bit of patience. The ability to de-boot at a lodge or home is an almost-necessary convenience for certain boots in cold temps. I try not to ski at places where I have to boot up in a parking lot... it is just so... uncivilized.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm

jbotti wrote:There is no online video that I know of to learn the best boot in and out techniques.

If this is something folks would find value in, I'd be happy to film it and share it on Vimeo or YouTube...
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ToddW » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:58 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:I try not to ski at places where I have to boot up in a parking lot... it is just so... uncivilized.

Uncivilized — amen to that!
ToddW

Postby GregM » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:03 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:GregM,
You don't mention if you're going racer-style, as JB calls it, for entry and exit from the shell, or if you're attempting to remove your foot from the liner while it is still in the boot. In my experience, the latter is nearly impossible with a race fit in the modern crop of plug boots that have extremely tall lowers. The former, can be aided with practice, silicone sprays and a bit of patience. The ability to de-boot at a lodge or home is an almost-necessary convenience for certain boots in cold temps. I try not to ski at places where I have to boot up in a parking lot... it is just so... uncivilized.

I do use the lodge / lockers for that as well but not always. In my case I find de-booting in the lodge much harder -- I have to wait like half an hour or so before I can take the boots off. The hot blower in the car helps a lot. I did try both ways including racer-style. In both cases taking it off always is through pulling the foot in the liner out of the shell. No matter how hard I pull the shell to the sides the instep area stays locked.

Harald's video on booting and de-booting was extremely helpful for me. I have been in the shop many times buying or adjusting the boots but saw the technique only in the video.

HeluvaSkier wrote:If this is something folks would find value in, I'd be happy to film it and share it on Vimeo or YouTube...

If you have some valuable tips / techniques and can share as you mentioned, I think many people would appreciate this.
I suspect I might be doing something not quite right, and as JB mentioned, his lesson with Diana in the shop took the whole day -- I guess there is plenty to learn on the subject.
GregM

Next

Return to Gear