Head 2021

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Off Piste Skiing

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:55 pm

skiffie wrote:Glad you have found some skis that still work! But with Head going this way I would be a bit worried that eventually there will be no skis that are suitable for PMTS. Then what? lol.

Then I guess one or a few of us may have to get together and start [or buy] a ski company... certainly a labor of love... not to make money!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: Head 2021

Postby VAskier » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 pm

VAskier

Postby HighAngles » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:16 am

skiffie wrote:
h.harb wrote:I found a number of good skis at Stockli. We will bring in some Stockli skis to the shop. We will research the carving skis from Blossom as well. They were not in the show but we can get them in Europe from the factory. The Heads, Fischer, were very disappointing. Some of the wide skis that people rave about are junk. The Rip Stick and Volkl equivalent are really bad skis if you want a solid product under your feet. I am keeping my present Head skis, which are so much better than next year's product.

Glad you have found some skis that still work! But with Head going this way I would be a bit worried that eventually there will be no skis that are suitable for PMTS. Then what? lol.

The new Supershape that I most preferred of all of them is the e-Magnum. It has the deepest sidecut and still skis like a Head Supershape for the most part. What really has changed is their on-snow feel. My personal belief is that Head came out with EMC to "combat" the increased use of Graphene. They focused the EMC system on vibration reduction specifically due to the change in feel from using the Graphene material. You will really notice this on old snow hard pack groomers. Fresher softer snow is less noticeable.

Note that all of the Supershape series skis for 2021 are slightly wider (2-4mm depending on the model).
HighAngles

Postby skiffie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:41 am

Hmm. Well, let's hope they come to their senses and restore the old characteristics. Perhaps with enough complaints from HH and/or us! (wishful thinking lol)
skiffie

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am

Has anyone skied the Enforcer 88?
Jjmdane

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 pm

h.harb wrote:Head is going down the wrong road, for next season's skis, they have this "graphene" thing going and the skis feel flimsy. This season's Super Shapes are still very good.

Are this years Super Shapes i speeds better then next years Stockli Thanks
Darren

Postby blackthorn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Has anyone had any experience of the Blossom Namaste?
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Darren wrote: Are this years Super Shapes i speeds better then next years Stockli Thanks

Depends which Stockli's. In general their slalom carvers have super edge hold and are in general stiffer than I (and many others) like for off piste skiing. On groomed snow they rock. The SS i.Speeds are more versatile while also rocking pretty nicely on groomers.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby gozoogle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 am

Just curious, has anyone tried Augment? Austrian skis... they’re picking up traction on the WC circuit and you can custom order the flex. Very curious to demo their consumer offerings.

https://augment-sports.com/c/skis/on-pi ... tain-skis/

US pricing: https://augmentskisna.com/collections/all
gozoogle

Postby HighAngles » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:17 am

gozoogle wrote:Just curious, has anyone tried Augment? Austrian skis... they’re picking up traction on the WC circuit and you can custom order the flex. Very curious to demo their consumer offerings.

https://augment-sports.com/c/skis/on-pi ... tain-skis/

US pricing: https://augmentskisna.com/collections/all

Yes, what would you like to know? It's a very limited lineup. In no way a replacement for what Head has. Their sidecuts tend toward the GS side of things unless you get on their real deal SL skis. Unfortunately even their "10" flex (softest) is out of reach for many skiers.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am

HighAngles wrote:Unfortunately even their "10" flex (softest) is out of reach for many skiers.

Uh... so is the pricing!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby speedcontrol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Since we are on Head skis in this thread..... I see a very good special on 2019 WC Rebels iSLR ( in a local shop). Hand flexing this ski seems to be on the softer side.I wonder if it can be a good option for practicing PMTS drills.A women tester on you tube ( most probably a tts coach)says it is a beginner ski. I wonder how a ski with WC in its name can be qualified as a beginner ski.... Head list them under the race section on their website....
speedcontrol

Postby njdiver85 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 am

speedcontrol wrote:Since we are on Head skis in this thread..... I see a very good special on 2019 WC Rebels iSLR ( in a local shop). Hand flexing this ski seems to be on the softer side.I wonder if it can be a good option for practicing PMTS drills.A women tester on you tube ( most probably a tts coach)says it is a beginner ski. I wonder how a ski with WC in its name can be qualified as a beginner ski.... Head list them under the race section on their website....

Someone had the iSLR's at the short turn camp in early December, and I believe Harald did a run on them. Not sure what the verdict was.
njdiver85

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 am

The ISLr is a much softer version of the ISL non RD. For many, this ski is going to be too soft. If you are bending (and getting big rebound) from a ski like the SS i.Speed, SS Kers, Elan SLX Fusion, ISL non RD etc this ski is going to be way too soft. If you are light, more of an intermediate PMTS skier where you are just learning to bend skis it could work. But I would also look at where you ski as a factor. On hero Colorado or Montana snow it could work well but on ice the lack of metal and torsional stiffness will be an issue.

Considering the fact that the ISL non RD and the SS I.speed are great skis all the way down to just learning intermediate PMTS skiers the real question is why mess? When you amortize the savings over 125 ski days, it seems pretty clear to just buy the better skis.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 pm

jbotti wrote:Of Rockered Skis in the Rocker 3.0 category (plenty of tip and tail Rocker but less than what Rossi has done for years with their super rockered skis) the Head Kores are the best of the bunch IMO. I have skied the 93 and the 99. Everyone who has skied the 105 has loved it. I am supposed to go heli skiing next Thursday and the skis they have for me are Head Kore 105s. I can let you know after I ski them assuming weather permits.

You can read this which I posted on the Kore 93 a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5252

I skied the Head Kore 117 189cm length 2 days ago. Conditions were heavily wind blown in spots, manky sun and wind baked in others, and some decent softer snow in others but no real pow anywhere (but all the terrain was untracked). I would say the Kore 117 would not have been my first choice for the conditions (the Evolv 100 would have been great but I had no other choice) but they were fine. Based on the 93. 99 and 117 which I have now skied I think as a dedicated powder, soft snow ski, the 117 and 105 (never skied this one) are actually half way decent. Don't expect them to arc like the Head RNR on groomers back to the lift. They will be better for dancing around crud and bumps than bashing through them. But based on the other crap I have demoed in the 100-115mm waist category, again for fresh snow days these are better than most. Not sure anyone unless they ski in Tahoe or Pac Northwest would need the 117 (which would work pretty well in sierra cement when its super deep). Again, IMO they ski short.
jbotti

PreviousNext

Return to Gear