ski socks recs?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

ski socks recs?

Postby dougtee » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:38 pm

whats everyone using these days? going to be in colder conditions than im accustomed to in a bit and worried that i might need a few new pairs of smartwools, but worried about overpacking the boots.
dougtee

Re: ski socks recs?

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:03 pm

I think socks are pretty personal. I have been skiing the same socks for close to 20 years. Smartwool ultra thin, which I use when I first arrive at altitude because me feet swell a little. And then the ultra thin ski specific sock that has extra material on the shin area and in the heel after the first few days.

My feet almost never get cold, but there are some things that help a ton and for me and none of them involve using thicker socks. First thing, add an extra layer or two on your core. If your core gets even slightly cold, it limits blood flow to your extremities. Second get a pair of boot gloves. They have them on amazon for $30. They give me an extra 15-20F in colder temps. Lastly, I don't use them but many love hottronics or other brands of boot heaters. For those that have enough room in their boots, the heated socks work even better (I've been told) but the socks are pretty thick. My wife could not use them because they are too thick.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:52 pm

Lands End silk liner socks for me. Been using those for 25 years.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Marc » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm

I used to have thicker socks, and I would still feel cold in them when it was chilly. And I would sweat in them when it was above freezing. Now, I have a pair of very thin wool compression socks, Smartwool PhD Ski Graduated Compression Ultra Light, and the issues are almost gone.

But I also have a pair of Hotronics, note that it's the previous version, as I put on my boots in race-style.
Marc

Postby dougtee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 am

sticking with my usual thin smartwools, but will invest in some of the exterior boot wrap warmers. thanks for the advice!
dougtee

Return to Gear