Black Crows Serpo

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Black Crows Serpo

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:54 pm

I skied this ski today, first in the 180cm length and then in the 186cm length. This is a 93mm underfoot ski, with some tip and tail rocker. Its one of the only skis with a good amount of tip rocker that I was able to stay forward on the ski and ski it the way I want vs the way the ski might require me to ski. These skis ski short. The running edge on the 180 is probably more like 168-170, and probably like 175 on the 186. The arc pretty nicely and as an all mountain ski, I could enjoy arcing this on groomed terrain heading back to the lift. Its got some metal in it, but the skis are pretty soft. When arcing them, there is only so much that you can push this ski, but it responds to PMTS movements. The stated TR I think is 20m, but it arcs much tighter turns that that. I view a ski like this as a pow and soft crud and chop ski and we had none of those conditions today. I took them into some bumps and for a 93mm underfoot ski, they were reasonably nimble and I'm sure skiing soft bumps after some fresh snow these skis would be fine and fun and way better than most skis with this much rocker (its there and noticeable but not a huge amount vs many other skis).

I think its a little softer than the Head RNR, but the flex pattern is similar. Its basically a sandwich cap construction, and as I said before, its not very substantial. The Head RNR had no metal but was full on sandwich constructions and had more heft than this ski. But this is not a terrible ski for someone that skis the west with PMTS technique that is not going to over power a ski like this. If I was looking for a PMTS powder ski similar to the Head RNR, and if I had nothing else like it in my quiver, I might own the 186. I still have a reasonably new pair of Head RNRs and a pair of Parlor RNR knock offs, both of which I like better than the Serpo. But in a world where its almost impossible to find wider skis that support/respond to PMTS movements, this ski is a decent option.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Black Crows Serpo

Postby Omid » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:23 pm

Thanks for this review John. I mostly ski the Tahoe area and am looking for something in this width for heavier/thicker days and parts of the mountain. I'm gonna try to demo them this week and possibly purchase after that if I end up liking them.

It seems like you and others here like to use the same PRD system for any and all skis, so I may just go that route. I own a pair of i.speeds, so I'm used to that system.

Lastly, and totally not related to the Serpo, how would you compare the e-Original with i.speed? I own the latter in 163, but would like a similar ski in a 170 length at some point. I'm 5'11", 145lbs.

Thanks!
O
Omid

Re: Black Crows Serpo

Postby jbotti » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:46 pm

I like the SS I.Speed better than the e.original. It has less side cut in the tail and a slightly wider turn radius. The e.Originals are better for intermediates working on Pmts movements. But if you are a more advanced PMTS skier, the I.Speed is also easy to ski but just a lot less hooky.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear