Supershapes - for experts only?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Supershapes - for experts only?

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:42 am

This should perhaps be a poll. I've not hitherto included Supershapes in my shortlist because of a couple of things I've read here about the skiing expertise required, but I just noticed allusions to Harald saying somewhere (where?) about them not being expert only skis. So, the question is, are they a viable option for someone who is certainly not an expert skier but who would probably count as semi-advanced these days (in that I generally happily ski all the groomed runs in the European resorts I try, not necessarily all with grace and style). I have been 'graded' recently as being between these two Ski Club of Great Britain levels, closer to the second than the first:

Advanced intermediate on piste
A strong parallel skier, you ski comfortably and in control down red bumps, can carve on most smooth red runs, take the fall line down moderate red moguls and ski confidently down most black runs. Being reasonably fit and with around 15 weeks' skiing experience, you enjoy skiing quickly and could ski to this standard all day.

Advanced on piste
Confident to ski the whole groomed mountain, including steep blacks, using short and long carved turns. You enjoy skiing bumps, except in particularly icy or difficult conditions. You try to take the fall line whenever possible.

Could I handle the Supershapes? I'd certainly like a ski which sounds as if it would be usable in the powder as well as on hard piste.
JohnMoore

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:24 pm

The Supershape is not as forgiving as some other skis. You need to have your weight right in the sweet spot on the skis for them to perform as they are able. Lower level skis will be more forgiving...ski better when you are out of position than a more demanding ski will be when you are equally out of position. And, shorter skis of the same model are usually easier to ski than longer skis of that model. If in doubt, go short.

So, how precisely do you ski?

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Return to Gear