The best slalom run of 2017

The best slalom run of 2017

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:08 pm

h.harb

Re: The best slalom run of 2017

Postby Jeet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 am

Thank you for the post and writing the article, interesting and insightful.
Jeet

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 pm

For those that have never heard Harald use the term "slicing" with regard to what the skis are doing, Stefano was slicing the whole way down on that run and everyone one else's skis were grinding a good percentage of the run. Unfortunately for Stefano, in the second run his skis were not slicing but rather grinding most of the way.

Truly amazing watching him in the first run on snow that soft which was continually peeling away for everyone but him.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby marsound » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Amazing run and great article.

I noticed he had much more ski to snow contact than the other skiers.
marsound

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm

He did everything better in that run, perfectly. If you watch it in slow Mo, and stop it, see how long he delays the pressure and how much he develops angles without pressure. in other words he never pushes on the ski. He creates angles and then locks in the CA, and increases tipping, angles, by flexing at the apex and under the gate. I've been coaching this for years, but only to the very best skiers, who can develop angles without pushing. If you push or extend going into the arc, you lose. But everyone does it and PSIA and USSA teach it. They are so far behind what is actually happening it's dreadful. Of course so is Epic forum, that's just a joke, no one goes there any more because it's like a Trump party, all false, smoke and mirrors. Epic forum if you go back and look, has been wrong on every ski principle or Essential since day one, and Stefano Gross proves it.
h.harb

Postby Houdini » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:15 am

Fantastic stuff, Harald.

You know what came to mind watching Gross’s first run? Some of your advanced, fun turns in the ACBAES 1 and 2 videos and in your later videos, particularly in choppy terrain, where you release with pronounced flexing and then develop your angles for the new turn before your new stance ski even contacts the snow. Almost like you are skiing in air. And, of course, the narrow stance you advocate and demonstrate in all your skiing.
Houdini

Postby DougD » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 am

h.harb wrote:... see how long he delays the pressure and how much he develops angles without pressure. in other words he never pushes on the ski. He creates angles and then locks in the CA, and increases tipping, angles, by flexing at the apex and under the gate.

Houdini wrote:... you release with pronounced flexing and then develop your angles for the new turn before your new stance ski even contacts the snow. Almost like you are skiing in air.

These two comments reminded me of the Egan & Deslaurier brothers' so-called "Airplane Turn". When launching off a bump or jump where they wanted to be turning as soon as they landed, the instruction (from memory) was:
1. As your feet pass over the crest, flex your legs deeply and pull your feet up beneath your butt;
2. While in the air, keep your feet together and smoothly tip them toward the edge angles you'll need at the apex of the upcoming turn;
3. Just before touchdown, extend your legs just enough to absorb the landing. The outside leg extends more, so that it becomes the stance leg. Try to land "soft"... ie, no more pressure on the skis than needed for balance.
Done correctly, you'll be in mid-turn the instant your edges touch the snow.

The Airplane Turn is actually the High-C with NO PRESSURE on the tipping skis, since they're in mid-air. An ideal demonstration of early angles without pressure.

I don't remember them discussing CA, but my recollection is that they used it... perhaps unconciously? This was before they consulted with Harald, so they didn't convey the complete set of movements that we now have in PMTS.

Anyway, amazing skiing by Gross and proof that the movements we learn here are effective at the biggest level. Thanks Harald for the writeup.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Stefano Gross send me a nice response to my Blog post about his skiing.
h.harb

Postby nickia » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:58 pm

h.harb wrote:Stefano Gross send me a nice response to my Blog post about his skiing.

WOW! It'll be amazing if you guys can collaborate :)

I'm not an expert but can already see the difference between Harald's teaching vs CSIA/PSIA. The local CSIA is doing their instructor training few days ago. You have to admit their teaching is working with nice consistency- performing the wrong technique. They all ski alike: pop up to release, gorilla stance, no CA/CB, rotation, and a lot of skidding. PMTS technique resembles high level world cup racing technique. It is easy to see which system is teaching the correct technique.

It is a shame that these skiers are paying big bucks to be trained in an inferior system and stuck as terminal intermediate.
nickia

Postby hopewar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 pm

that is amazing...!!!
www.soran.edu.iq
hopewar

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:06 am

The original linked video from You Tube, disappeared, but I put up a new one on my Blog.
h.harb

Return to Racing