Yelling Coaches

Yelling Coaches

Postby precisionchiro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 am

Hi all, I haven't posted here in a while and forgot my old password, so I re-registered.

As I've been watching the Olympics, I can't help but be distracted/irritated by all the coaches in the starting tent yelling at the racers as they're setting up at the wand and are about to push out the starting gate.

Any thoughts about this? It seems to me that athletes who perform at such an elite level are mentally and psychologically laser-focused... their brains are processing a lot of information about the course, conditions, controlling fear and adrenaline, everything they need to prepare and execute an efficient run. Coaches attempting to pump them up and yell and hoot and holler seems like such a ridiculous distraction to me. Maybe some of those athletes need that (I think Lindsey Vonn says it helps her when people pump her up like that), but I would think most athletes would be trying to tune those verbal distractions out.

I thought I read Harald's comments about this, that he believes World Class athletes who are about to perform an athletic task like a ski race don't need superficial external motivation from barking coaches... am I remembering that correctly?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
precisionchiro

Re: Yelling Coaches

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am

As long as they flex and tip while yelling, it's probably ok.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

The American coaches are always the loudest! I found it obnoxious when I was racing and coaching. I rarely had coaches at the start, so I guess I learned how to motivate and focus on my own. Once you learn how you don't need somebody yelling at you. The Austrians basically say one thing, "Let's go".
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:35 pm

How's the US coaching and yelling working for the US Team, who just got destroyed by Great Britain in the Team Event?! Embarrassing!!

The USSA and US Ski Team is in some dreadful times. I couldn't expect more with a system and group lead by PSIA coaches taking the reins of US junior development. Not one PSIA Demo Team has even sniffed a Nor-Am race let alone skied or worked with world cup athletes. The analogy, the Formula 1 race car drivers didn't get their coaching from Uber taxi drivers!

What the British Alpine Team's budget?
h.harb

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Was that on any of the NBC channels?
Jjmdane

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

h.harb wrote:How's the US coaching and yelling working for the US Team, who just got destroyed by Great Britain in the Team Event?! Embarrassing!!

The USSA and US Ski Team is in some dreadful times. I couldn't expect more with a system and group lead by PSIA coaches taking the reins of US junior development. Not one PSIA Demo Team has even sniffed a Nor-Am race let alone skied or worked with world cup athletes. The analogy, the Formula 1 race car drivers didn't get their coaching from Uber taxi drivers!

What the British Alpine Team's budget?

I am not defending the USSA and the US ski team but they didn’t send their best athletes (no Shiffrin, no ligety) and the Parallel GS is a crapshoot for everyone. The best skier in the world has been beaten regularly in these events.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Ligety would have been killed anyway, but to me, it's a bogus event. Even when I was pro racing on courses like that on the World Pro Tour, the taller guys had an advantage. If they would just cut the gates down to knee level it would fairer.
h.harb

Return to Racing