FIS racers to watch, Anno Domini

FIS racers to watch, Anno Domini

Postby alpinebaseline » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:47 am

So following the retirement of god (Marcel Hirscher), who are the ones to watch on the FIS slalom circuit for examples of great technical skiing?

For me, Alexis Pinturault, Clément Noël and Dave Ryding are the standouts. Anyone else to keep an eye on?
alpinebaseline

Re: FIS racers to watch, Anno Domini

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:53 am

Ryding is a grinder and he loses on the steeps. He can't come close except on a flat hill. The other two are valid. Vincent Kriechmayr and Mayer in speed. I still love Stefano Gross's skiing. 3rd at the last slalom.
h.harb

Postby alpinebaseline » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Oh yeah Gross is a class act too.

I have a soft spot for Dave, for him to get close to the top is incredible considering where he’s come from, starting skiing on dry slopes and then having very little funding from the British ski federation as he was coming up. But as you say he’s not at the same level.

Zenhäusern and Kristoffersen are two that I don’t enjoy watching so much but seem to be able to put down fast runs when the pressures on. Guess evidence that best technique doesn’t necessarily mean best racer.
alpinebaseline

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:54 am

I agree Dave has done an amazing job to get as high as he is in world ranking. He seems vulnerable under pressure. He's had top 3 runs in first runs but seems to have trouble bringing it in the second run. Look out for Marco Odermatt, he has a meniscus issue but when's feeling good he's really fast. Schwartz is starting his comeback with a 6th in GS at Alta Badia, after his ACL reconstruction last spring. Don't know if Feller will be back this season. Noel ls is definitely feeling a second year let down after 3 slalom wins last year.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:50 pm

The snow at Alta Badia was a train wreck. I'm amazed at the strength of these skiers to even make it through the run at race speeds. You could just see the pounding that their legs and skis were taking. Hopefully Marco Odermatt wasn't injured. He didn't look too happy at the end of his second run. His recovery at the top looked like it stressed his leg.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Yes, Marco Odermatt already had a meniscus issue at the end of last season. They thought they could rehab it without surgery. I don't know if it's reinjured.
h.harb

Return to Racing