Camp logistics and lodging

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

Camp logistics and lodging

Postby JerryS » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm booked for Green/Blue Feb 9 to 13, 2015 and trying to figure out logistics and lodging. I want to get fitted for new boots in Dumont, and get aligned. I've have a call into the shop, and trust they will give me direction, but thought I could benefit from the forum:

I'm planning on flying in on Friday, and having Saturday and Sunday for boot fitting and acclimation. Presumably fitting is a one morning process? And then alignment will be done after camp on Monday? Is it reasonable to expect to be fit Saturday morning, and make it to Granby Saturday night?

I'm looking to book at the Kicking Horse condos that have ski-in/ski-out, little cheaper than main lodges, but am open to other ideas. Where do you suggest? It would be nice to be near where any socializing takes place, along with close to the hill. Hot tub/dining an added bonus.

Any other suggestions for first time camper?

Thanks, Jerry
JerryS

Re: Camp logistics and lodging

Postby ToddW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Jerry,

If you get a morning appointment for fitting on Saturday, you'll be in Granby by mid-afternoon ... possibly in time to ski a bit. Sometimes they make footbeds and do an initial in-shop alignment assessment and tape on initial temporary alignment shims as part of the bootfitting to give you a head start on camp.

I haven't been to a Granby based camp in 6 years and there's been a lot of real estate development since, so I can't comment on housing options.

Enjoy your camp!
ToddW

Postby JerryS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks Todd, even that little bit helps me start filling in the blanks.
JerryS

Postby rwd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 am

Jerry,
My daughter and I attended BG camp last year . I found the agent at Granby's lodging center very helpful, and well informed. Some of the housing is much older than others. Will you have a car? The lifts don't open until 9 am, and you have to meet at the main lodge earlier than that, so we didn't see a big advantage to "ski-in-ski-out". We stayed in a nice condo near the bottom of the access road, 5 minutes from the mountain. Hope you have a great camp.
rwd

Postby JerryS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:25 pm

rwd, thanks for the reply. Yes, I will likely have a car, and great point on the ski-in ski-out, might tilt me towards cheaper accommodations a bit further away.
JerryS

Postby Smackboy1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm

JerryS wrote:Presumably fitting is a one morning process? And then alignment will be done after camp on Monday?

I was fit for new boots last Dec at my first camp. HSS bootfitting is very thorough; the best I've ever experienced. The process starts in the shop, but actually continues over the entire week of camp with instructor(s) making changes after watching you ski. Depending on the work that needs to be done you may have to return to the shop mid week.

If you search on this forum and also http://peakskierzone.proboards.com there's a few threads about PMTS camp experiences and tips.

You're going to have a great time. I'm envious because I can't make it back to camp this year. Post about your experiences so we can all live vicariously through you :D
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links