Thanks Bob

PMTS Forum

Postby A.L.E » Sat May 05, 2007 4:34 pm

We flew Air Tahiti to LA and spent 4 days there coming home......I don't like flying Qantas anywhere unless it's with points. Expensive, crappy service with mostly crappy planes. They have next to no competion flying to the states and within OZ is not much better, no wonder they are one of the most profitable airlines in the world.

Tahiti is one place that really does look like the images in the travel brochures....stunning! The only down side is it's expensive, not sure where all the money is going it sure isn't with the locals, I suspect the French are taking it back to France.

It's a while ago when Peter was talking about a Japan set up, I hope he does it, he will do better business there with more Aussies around. Fernie is too far away particularly to attract repeat business from Aussies. Nine hr direct flights to Sapporo are the go, is that what you did?.
A.L.E

Postby fredm8 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Only 9 hours to Japan ?

Fly Air NZ to LA on your next trip. We play nicely with Aussies :-)

How does the terrain and facilities compare with Colorado ?

Cant wait for the high speed six seater to rocket up Turoa this winter.
Last edited by fredm8 on Sun May 06, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

Postby A.L.E » Sun May 06, 2007 1:16 am

fredm8 wrote:Only 9 hours.

Fly Air NZ. We play nicely with Aussies :-)

How does the terrain and facilities compare with Colorado ?

Cant wait for the high speed six seater to rocket up Turoa this winter.

Is it direct from OZ or via NZ?
A.L.E

Postby vseh » Sun May 06, 2007 2:26 am

A.L.E wrote:We flew Air Tahiti to LA and spent 4 days there coming home......I don't like flying Qantas anywhere unless it's with points. Expensive, crappy service with mostly crappy planes. They have next to no competion flying to the states and within OZ is not much better, no wonder they are one of the most profitable airlines in the world.

Tahiti is one place that really does look like the images in the travel brochures....stunning! The only down side is it's expensive, not sure where all the money is going it sure isn't with the locals, I suspect the French are taking it back to France.

It's a while ago when Peter was talking about a Japan set up, I hope he does it, he will do better business there with more Aussies around. Fernie is too far away particularly to attract repeat business from Aussies. Nine hr direct flights to Sapporo are the go, is that what you did?.

I thought it was Tahiti with the over water accommodation, I spent 1 week on Moorea some 3 decades ago. I was looking at photos of the new St Regis hotel on Bora Bora through the week, it's stunning.
The family flew JAL via Tokyo to Sapporo, it means an overnight stay in Tokyo and a short flight the next day, however I prefer a hotel bed to sleeping (??) in economy and the hotel is included in the airfare.
I had tried for the direct Qantas Cairns-Sapporo flight but the January bookings were full in July. I can't remember the last time I flew Qantas internationally during a school holiday, I'm just not that organized.
I'd think there would be more repeat business in Niseko from the Australians but Fernie really runs well and there's no language/cultural problems
Air NZ to LA is usually via Auckland perhaps they have a nice transit lounge unlike Hawaii, that trip through customs and back onto your plane is tedious.
Fredm8 - what's the best time of year to ski Turoa? Is spring skiing good in late Sept? I'm thinking about New South Wales school holidays
Last edited by vseh on Sun May 06, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby fredm8 » Sun May 06, 2007 2:31 am

Yes, I meant to say that only to have to fly 9 hours from Auckland to anywhere to ski would be bliss, compared to the normal 12/13 hr flight to LAX, then 3 hours to Denver, then onto where-ever (Aspen etc).
Edited the post for clarity.
Douglas

fredm8

Postby A.L.E » Sun May 06, 2007 4:37 am

You could fly to Sydney, catch a plane to Hotham or Cooma and drive up to the snow and do it under 9 hrs. :lol:...........well at least you could say you were the first to have done it!
A.L.E

Postby fredm8 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:42 am

Flying from Auckland to Queenstown is around 50 minutes. 3 Great ski fields within 30 mins drive, or you can go through to Wanaka and ski Treble Cone etc. Heli-skiing is another fantastic option too in that part of the world.

I was musing out loud about far we southerners fly in Dec / Jan / Feb / Mar / April to ski.

I had some friends last year who flew to Sydney, then to I think Mt Buller to ski (they booked it before the season started, and then the snow didnt fall). They stayed a couple of days, then flew up to Brisbane to holiday on the Gold Coast for a week in the sunshine.

The alternative in Auckland is to drive 20 mins to Snowplanet, and ski indoors all year round.

Who is planning a trip down under to ski during our Southern Winter ??
There should be a challenge to get as many PTMS skiers on Mt Ruapehu in one day. Or somewhere in Australia ?
Can we do 1, 10, 100 or a 1000 ?

The only caveat is that they have to fly at least 9 hours to show some commitment. :-)
Douglas

fredm8

Postby fredm8 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:05 am

vseh wrote:Air NZ to LA is usually via Auckland perhaps they have a nice transit lounge unlike Hawaii, that trip through customs and back onto your plane is tedious.
Fredm8 - what's the best time of year to ski Turoa? Is spring skiing good in late Sept? I'm thinking about New South Wales school holidays

Air NZ has reasonable lounges in Auckland and LAX. Somewhere to have a shower and some decent food. I havent flown Qantas to LAX for a couple of years, and cant comment about the difference in service with Air NZ. We have had no problems flying Air NZ from Auckland to LAX, then United to Denver/ Aspen. Star Alliance vs One World. The only problem is getting from one side of LAX to the other.

The best skiing on Turoa is when the sun is shining, and the wind is not blowing. We had some fabulous days there last September just before the season closed. Best method of getting there is to fly to Ak, then drive a rental to Ohakune. Either use the mountain transport up the road to Turoa, or if you have a 4WD, drive to the base. Midweek skiing outside of the school holidays was great, during was a bit busy. The new 6 seater High Noon Express chair lift will change the dynamic of the mountain this year. It will put more skiers higher up the hill quicker, so there may be fewer people using the Giant. Its a wait and see on that one.
Turoa during the winter can be changeable with the weather, so you get pretty good at picking when to drive down. Dont leave it too late in the spring, as last year when the temps climbed the snow disappeared quickly.

Your other option is to fly Sydney / Queenstown. The weather can be more settled, you have more ski fields to choose from, and you may pay more for the privilege too. But thats life isnt it.
Douglas

fredm8

Postby vseh » Mon May 07, 2007 3:39 am

fredm8 wrote:Flying from Auckland to Queenstown is around 50 minutes. 3 Great ski fields within 30 mins drive, or you can go through to Wanaka and ski Treble Cone etc. Heli-skiing is another fantastic option too in that part of the world.

I was musing out loud about far we southerners fly in Dec / Jan / Feb / Mar / April to ski.

I had some friends last year who flew to Sydney, then to I think Mt Buller to ski (they booked it before the season started, and then the snow didnt fall). They stayed a couple of days, then flew up to Brisbane to holiday on the Gold Coast for a week in the sunshine.

The alternative in Auckland is to drive 20 mins to Snowplanet, and ski indoors all year round.

Who is planning a trip down under to ski during our Southern Winter ??
There should be a challenge to get as many PTMS skiers on Mt Ruapehu in one day. Or somewhere in Australia ?
Can we do 1, 10, 100 or a 1000 ?

The only caveat is that they have to fly at least 9 hours to show some commitment. :-)

I'm planning a conference/skiing trip next year in August to Queenstown.
Are you counting Cardrona within 30' of Queenstown?
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby A.L.E » Mon May 07, 2007 7:20 am

I've skied Remarkables and was very disappointed apart from the little bits I did a bit of walking to. Didn't ski Coronet Peak but someone would have to tell me it's a lot better than Remarkables to get me back to Queenstown. The Queenstown area is a stunning place but the skiing....well not sure about that.

Cardrona and Treble Cone are definately places I would ski again but I wouldn't do it from Queenstown, it's a good hour I recall so you would have to base at Wanaka IMO.

I've been thinking that flying to Auckland and skiing Mt Ruapehu is worth investigating. Flights are cheaper than to QT as well. Is it as good as the Wanaka ski fields? A PMTS gathering down under sounds good to me, I'm sure Jay was in NZ last year.
A.L.E

Postby Sidney » Mon May 07, 2007 6:27 pm

Coronet Peak can get hard on the front side, it gets very little sun. Remarkables is a little too small but does have some cool little runs to practice on.

Yes, Jay was in NZ last year, I bumped into him and Rick mid-mountain at Coronet Peak. Spotted the PMTS logo on his jacket a mile away. His skiing sticks out like a sore thumb (but in a good way) as no one else on the mountain came close to him in skiing ability.

I will be in Wanaka for a week in mid August skiing Cardrona and Treble Cone. Would be great to carve it up with some PMTS skiers.

A.L.E wrote:I've skied Remarkables and was very disappointed apart from the little bits I did a bit of walking to. Didn't ski Coronet Peak but someone would have to tell me it's a lot better than Remarkables to get me back to Queenstown. The Queenstown area is a stunning place but the skiing....well not sure about that.

Cardrona and Treble Cone are definately places I would ski again but I wouldn't do it from Queenstown, it's a good hour I recall so you would have to base at Wanaka IMO.

I've been thinking that flying to Auckland and skiing Mt Ruapehu is worth investigating. Flights are cheaper than to QT as well. Is it as good as the Wanaka ski fields? A PMTS gathering down under sounds good to me, I'm sure Jay was in NZ last year.
Sidney

Postby A.L.E » Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 am

Sidney wrote:.

I will be in Wanaka for a week in mid August skiing Cardrona and Treble Cone. Would be great to carve it up with some PMTS skiers.

Mmmmmmm sounds very tempting. What about OZ for a long weekend?

Any other PMTS Aussies out there interested?

vseh where is your club lodge located?
A.L.E

Postby Sidney » Tue May 08, 2007 4:30 am

It really depends on what the season here does. Lift ticket prices here are little ridiculous these days. The queues aren't much fun either.

A.L.E wrote:
Mmmmmmm sounds very tempting. What about OZ for a long weekend?

Any other PMTS Aussies out there interested?

vseh where is your club lodge located?
Sidney

Postby vseh » Tue May 08, 2007 5:28 am

A.L.E wrote:vseh where is your club lodge located?

Perisher, a quick ski down to the quad in the morning and a slow trudge back at night.
I'm skiing school hols July 7th and then August 11th, typically Sunday to Friday inclusive, ie 6 days skiing each time.
Happy to ski, I've a reasonable eye for MA and can tell that A.L.E. is a deal better technically than me. That 's good for me as it pushes me along. I'm happy to ski almost anything at Perisher, rocks, sheet ice and Front Valley excluded.
I'll have my 2 sons with me in July, they're happy to get rid of me, both being very good skiers and had PMTS in Fernie.
Equally my wife is with me in August, she's very happy to do half a day and retire "hurt" back to the lodge
Shawn Richards
vseh

Postby Icanski » Tue May 08, 2007 8:17 pm

I can tell you that if you come to ski in Fernie, you'll feel like you're still in OZ. Almost everyone I met there was from Australia or New Zealand. There were still a few Canadians around though, but not many. :wink:
Icanski
Icanski

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System