First day on Carvers

PMTS Forum

First day on Carvers

Postby Ken » Mon May 07, 2007 5:54 pm

It went well. They do turn, altho I'm still not sure why. Magic, I think. Get your step turns down real good. Don't count on that brake to do any good stopping you when you're headed for a drain grate and need to turn.

Diana recommended that I get some Hillbilly Dirt Gear Hip Pads. Really smart idea.

Here's a couple of things the book doesn't mention.
1) Mark all the manhole covers and drain grates with chalk before you start.
2) The Carvers can see slope increases in the street that the human eye can't see. They're magnetically attracted to these slope increases. They'll direct themselves up them as you skate uphill.
3) The speed the pavement rises and smacks one in the butt is amazing.
4) Doggie kisses aren't a big help when getting up.
5) I'm not sure what is a big help getting up.
6) A camp stool is a help to sit on when booting up and unbooting.
7) Don't try a hockey stop.

Anyway, I started with skating and step turns on the flat, moved to step turns on a gentle slope, and ended the session with linked turns on the gentle slope. They really do use many of the usual skiing movements. Don't try a hockey stop.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Icanski » Tue May 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Dear Ken,
I got some on my recent trip to Colorado. I will be trying them out soon. Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly take them to heart. I have some good pads I use for stunt work, so they'll help.
I'll also make sure I don't try a hockey stop. :lol:
I will report on my progress, when I get out of the hospital :D :wink:
Icanski
Icanski

carver

Postby Bolter » Wed May 09, 2007 4:57 am

Ken and Icanski,
My pair are on the way. Thanks for your report Ken. What model did you folks get? I went for the comp. I have all sorts of questions but I'll wait untill I get on them a few times. Soon...
Bolter

Postby SrMike » Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 am

I got a pair of the Pro model while I was out in CO the first week in April. If you look at the video I posted before I left, that was on borrowed Pro model. That was about my 5th time on the carvers.

Carvers 101
SrMike

Postby Ken » Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 am

I have the mid level model, the "Pro." H&D recommended these as being right for me.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Bolter » Fri May 11, 2007 5:00 am

I was told to get the comp, so I did. There is 1-2mm of vertical play at the toe piece on each carver. This makes them noisy and loose. My boots are new and in good shape so DIn is not the problem. Anyone else have a problem? I got them yesterday, have not been on them yet. Called the # and I am waiting for return call.
Bolter

Postby dewdman42 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:19 pm

I didn't even know there was one more than model. Would anyone care to elaborate on the differences? Bolter I really want to hear more about this 1-2mm of play and what comes of it.
dewdman42

Postby Max_501 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:29 pm

dewdman42 wrote:I didn't even know there was one more than model. Would anyone care to elaborate on the differences?

http://harbskisystems.com/carver/models.htm

I have the Pro. The Comp takes more tipping commitment and is faster.

dewdman42 wrote:Bolter I really want to hear more about this 1-2mm of play and what comes of it.

Mine are very snug, no play at all.
Max_501

Postby Hobbit » Sat May 12, 2007 9:29 pm

Make sure the heel piece fits in precisely -- there should not be any gap between the heel metal enclosure and the boot.
I had to work a little on the new boots since the heels were a little bit wide and not going in all the way.
If you fit the heel well enough there will be a little "spring" like tension in order to put the toe down and touch the carver top, at least this is how my setup looks like. This tension is enhanced by tightening two little screws in the heel piece (but I do the final tightening after the bot is set in).
After the heel is setup adjust the front binding position so that the front holding screw touches the front of the boot.
I have to push the toe down really hard otherwise the screw will not feed through both holes in the toe binding.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Bolter » Sun May 13, 2007 7:10 am

Hobbit,
Thank you. I set them up just like you said and the play is still there. I put a strip of material under the boot toe of each carver and no problem, it's tight.
Yes, this carver wants a little speed and a hill to wake up and turn. I am just beginning to get it. A weighted release is key for me. Baby steps for now.
Bolter

Postby Bolter » Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 am

With each carver session I get more out of them. Double the fun and "crossover" connection to skiing found inline skateing, and you have a carver. It's a rolling laboratory for movement action/reaction. I can review all my skiing movements (past and present) in a few runs. Great off season training and skiing focus. THANKS HAROLD!
Bolter

Postby dewdman42 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Now that you've been on them a bit, are you still glad you got the comp model or do you wish you had gotten the pro, for any reason at all including practical reasons such as cost or the steepness of hills you normally use with them?
dewdman42

Postby Bolter » Tue May 22, 2007 5:14 am

During the first few times on them they would not turn. Had I had made a mistake in getting the COMP? No, with time and proper movements they turn like my five wheel inline skates, only much better, more precise and demanding at the same time. So much like arc2arc that it is the best off-snow training I have done. I would not want a lesser model. Do yourself a favor and get a pair. BTW, I have a lot of inline experience, I know this helps but just do the progressions on Jay's web site and you will be set for a summer of ski specific training. I am lucky in that I have an ideal location to skate in a State Park back road that undulates, no traffic, is clean, newly paved, shaded, and has a water fountain. Perfect!
Bolter

Postby dewdman42 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 am

Oh yea bolter....that is like a dream summer training arena there for you...nice.
dewdman42

Carvers Here

Postby MonsterMan » Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 am

Mine arrived today, just went out for twenty minutes before it got dark; VERY NICE!

Right turns are easy for some reason, any hints Jay?

Bloody hot in ski boots with no snow.

Had to file off a bit more from the top of the toe of my left boot, I think the router in the back of Jasper's Van might have missed a bit.

Looking forward to trying an incline, the basketball court I tried is just not big enough.

Regards

Geoff
MonsterMan

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System