MA request on BPST

MA request on BPST

Postby carver_hk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 am

I m not so sure if there are unwanted rotations. My own feeling is these turns are outside ski dominant and all turns was started with tipping. Any help will be much appreciated. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PH5HiFTnQ
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby GregM » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Martin,

These are ST(Short Turns) but not BPSRT. I guess "R" in "SRT" is a very important part :).
I think one of the reasons they call it "BP" is that this turn allow for the speed control through the turn's short radius.
Your turns are short in terms of timing but are not short radius turns -- the skis are going on a large raduis arcs.
If you would be doing full arcs (closer to 180 degrees) like you were showing in the TFR drill you would not be going that fast.
Tip inside foot progressively more to the end of the turn to achieve going across the slope in the transition.
GregM

Postby carver_hk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi GregM,

Thanks for the great feedback. Sure, I ll try to get closer to 180 degree. The reason why those turns' timing is so fast is that I was experiencing the rebound from the loaded skis pushing me to the other side. After all, these quick turns is giving me some new feeling. I ll try to get hold of the rebound's power while try to get close to 180 degree. :D

later,

Martin
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:15 am

I hope this is more like BPSRT. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKykwVV4Zw

I was thinking what should be the release (weighted release or inside skis release or both skis release together) in BPSRT? Thanks in advance for offering the clue. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:45 am

I m very happy to post this one. There is a very new feeling in skiing out this turns: I was able to feel the gripping in place before loading the outside skis and subsequently and promptly release into next turns.

Hope I m on the right track. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtPHpRw67-0
carver_hk

Postby BigE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Surely you can compare what you are doing to Max or HH!
BigE

Postby carver_hk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

BigE wrote:Surely you can compare what you are doing to Max or HH!
Thanks BigE! If I were to pick out the difference from Harald's short turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHluvRCA4A

I m seeing my stance is still too wide(I tried but its surprisingly difficult to close the stance). I spend too little time in lower C and therefore the CA not stay long enough? Without further advise I would just try to close my stance and hold the counter to as late as I could before release. :D

btw: I m happy to feel that the lower half is carved. This is proved by checking out the lines before the neutral.
carver_hk

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:54 am

There are two things I concentrate on when doing short turns. First, I try to achieve a balance transfer to the new stance ski as early in the turn as possible. I want to be balanced on the new stance ski before the turn actually starts. Second, I keep almost 100% of my weight on my stance ski. This allows the ski to bend more into the arc of the turn. It also allows the free foot to be drawn in closer to the stance foot, which makes tipping easier and edge changes more efficient, and also eliminates the need for any inside foot steering. This works for me, maybe it will work for you.
Mac

Postby carver_hk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 am

Mac wrote: First, I try to achieve a balance transfer to the new stance ski as early in the turn as possible...
Second, I keep almost 100% of my weight on my stance ski.
Thanks for sharing your expertise. Yes, no doubt I m headed in these direction. In fact you can find in the vid that sometimes my inside skis is even lifted right after neutral and that I strive to use weighted release in my turns. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 am

I was told in private that my release was not flex enough. Its the main focus in this update. Besides I also pay special attention to what Mac hinted in his post. What I found is putting 100% of my weight on my stance ski is very very difficult when near the end of turn. Is that due to icy condition or generally is true? Thanks in advance for any help. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkeYlyWPMI
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 am

To avoid being off tract of PMTS methodology I shall post my latest BPSRT just to check if I m on the right tract. Any comment welcome. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BrfiJX6tw

basically I m still working on flex to release with the stance leg weighted as late as possible on these turns. :D
carver_hk

Postby jclayton » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am

Nice flex coming over the ridge but a bit rigid after that . Try exaggerating the flex with the knee coming up diagonally to the opposite shoulder .

Skis opening up a bit ( skating ) coming around the falline . Still weighting the free foot a bit early maybe ? Coming off the stance ski a bit early still .

Have a look at the video posted by Harald , the skier ( forget his name ) comes around a lot more and they are very short turns .

Checking your tracks will tell you if you are on the right one

Cheers
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby carver_hk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 am

thanks for the great advise. I can see the list of issues you identified for me. Will work on it. :D
carver_hk

Postby milesb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Martin, you need to give the turn a chance to happen. It looks like as soon as you get the skis on edge you are going into the next turn. Just keep tipping and let the skis keep turning. I know your slope is pretty flat and you will go pretty slow this way- that is a good thing!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Clayton is right, but to to some extent so is Miles's post. You have to wait to turn, but don't wait to tip the skis. The reason the skis are turning too quickly is that they are too flat. Increase tipping angle before the falline. tipping works much better in these short turns with good consistent flexed legs.

The skiing is much better and more organized. Hands are better located as well. Keep the hands at the same level. This means in the turn you have to keep the inside hand high. Hard to do, I know, I work on this in my skiing all the time.
h.harb

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video