Questions

PMTS Forum

Re: Questions

Postby ibMED » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:51 pm

h.harb wrote:With the Phantom Move you can test the rest of your Essentials. Extension and the Phantom Move don't work well together. For a Phantom Move to be successful flexing and tipping of the old stance leg must be the key. Keeping the lifting ski's tip on the snow tells you about your fore/aft balance. Weight shift isn't an Essential it's part of the RTE formula. But the PM creates RTE and weight shift more readily then with the two footed release. Tipping with flexing on and off the edges is key to making the TFR work.

Choosing, using or working with one of the two releases all depends on what you are trying to improve in your skiing. If it is foot tipping use the TFR. If it's weight shift and strong outside ski balance use the PM. If you want early balance, created in the HIgh C, practice the PM. I use a small PMs in quick bumps and fast edge changes for short turns.

If you watch my turns in the Trailer free ski video I put up, the last set of short turns, also shown in slow motion, watch the release, it's a PM. If you are working on reducing hip dump use the two footed release and make sure you keep 10 inches of distance between the feet.

Harald,
It would greatly help me if I can understand the context of your use of the term "Phantom Move (PM)" in the above. My mind is stuck thinking your are using the term PM for what I refer to as the Super Phantom Turn. I just had the opportunity to look at the video and the PM slow motion turns referred to in your post, and, it's clear that you engage the LTE of the free foot and tip off that edge. My understanding was the term phantom move was associated with movements of the free foot. Is my internal dictionary incorrect?

Although not related to the above, it's been difficult to master balance just past the apex of a turn in time to transfer weight to the LTE. I'm certain most of this is improper mechanics, some is related to lack of specific focus. Is there anything specific you would offer to students in PMTS camps to work on improving this aspect?
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

The Phantom Move is the same thing as the Super Phantom. The only reason there is such a thing as a Super Phantom is because skiers thought they were doing a PM, but they were still pushing the uphill, old inside ski to the big toe edge, before lifting the stance ski. Therefore, I had to describe the PM in more detail and I called it the Super PM. The SuperPM puts emphasis where it should be, on standing on the old inside ski, the LTE, before the stance leg is flexed and stance ski lifted.
h.harb

Postby dbntina » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I consolidated all the tasks and drills into a progression and they are integrated into one document. It includes the progressions from the ACBES 1 and 2 and the instructors manual. I was going to attach it here but I guess there is not way to do that?

How do I make it available for those who would like to take a look at it and recommend or make changes to it? I was thinking it would be about 3-5 pages but it turns out it was about 15 pages. :shock:

Thanks,

David
dbntina

Postby Sailor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25 am

Perhaps those interested could PM you with their email address, and you could attach it to an email back to them?
Sailor

Postby dbntina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 pm

That's fine, I thought maybe there was a way to post it publicly and then I wouldn't have to send out emails, but that is okay too.
dbntina

Postby Sailor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Well, I for one would be really interested in seeing it, and I appreciate the work you've put it. I'll PM you.
Sailor

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 pm

You could also share it via one of the file sharing websites. There are a bunch of them. I just did a google and these came up:

http://www.mediafire.com/

http://www.4shared.com/

http://www.filedropper.com/
Max_501

Postby dbntina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Okay I posted it on mediafire. Hopefully this link works.

See below.

The file is called PMTS Progression.xls.

Let me know if you can't find it or it doesn't work. It has the consolidated ACBES 1 and 2 and the instructor manual. I will consolidate the drills from essentials of skiing into the appropriate section soon and the post that as well. Then it will be close to a master consolidated list.

From there you can specifically tailor your own list of drills or areas that you would like to work on, that's what I am doing.

David
Last edited by dbntina on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbntina

Postby dbntina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Okay I thought that didn't make sense try this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zk2yrjnfl2n

Hopefully this works, this is saved in the correct format for printing.

For those I have sent it to already you will need to go to 'File', 'Page Setup', then click the 'Landscape'.

David
dbntina

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Nice work. I'm looking forward to the essentials stuff being added.

Thanks for the hard work.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby dbntina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:17 am

I am too, I should have that done by next week. The challenge is there are a few judgment calls on where some drills and things should fall in the progression, but I will do my best to put it in the right spot.

David
dbntina

Postby dbntina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Some of you are not able to access the Excel document so here is another format in Microsoft Word hopefully this works for you:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rhzm3hjz3dz

David
dbntina

Postby patprof » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Many kudos to David for putting this all together. A lot of thought and time went into this. Great resource. :D :D :D
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Postby Bolter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:36 pm

That is a lot of work, thank you.

JR
Bolter

Postby BigE » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Holy smokers!

That is an amazing amount of work.