Questions

PMTS Forum

Re: Questions

Postby dbntina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:28 am

I was really surprised how much material was in Harald's books. I knew there was a lot of material but didn't realize how much until everything was put down in one list. I am even more impressed with the well thought out plan of progression being able to see it in list format! I am one of those people who it really helps to see the whole picture of progression and how everything interrelates and builds, so I can see the big picture of how everything fits together and where I am going. I am a big picture context guy.

I am the annoying guy in the group that always stops somebody in the middle of the story to ask "Where were you at? Who was with you? Where were you going etc, etc to set the stage in my mind. :oops:

Now it's just a matter of getting all the essentials drills incorporated and then it will be complete. I will post that once it is finished.

David
dbntina

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 pm

I am the annoying guy in the group that always stops somebody in the middle of the story to ask "Where were you at? Who was with you? Where were you going etc, etc to set the stage

I'm not the only one that does that? WOW!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby dbntina » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Okay, I created a document that includes just the DVD essentials list with chapter and time to where the drills are located on the DVD's. This microsoft word file can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hdtuqkcyyz5

Here is the updated Progression document with the Essentials DVD drills included. However, some of the drills from the essentials did not fit neatly into the progression document so they are not included. Those drills that I did not include are in bold italics in the DVD essentials microsoft word document above.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mm0daqtnnmz

Enjoy, hope you find them useful.

David
dbntina

Postby cheesehead » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:09 pm

h.harb wrote:.....The SuperPM puts emphasis where it should be, on standing on the old inside ski, the LTE, before the stance leg is flexed and stance ski lifted.

Oh. Well, I spent the whole day yesterday, proud of myself for "mastering" the sequence:
1) flex the outside leg to release
2) put pressure on the inside leg LTE
3)switch to that foot's BTE to make it the new outside stance leg

I did find the out-of-control feeling between 1 and 2 a little disturbing. So, I am supposed to switch (1) and (2) around? That should reduce the out-of-control factor, I hope.

Gosh, it helps to actually read and to actually understand this stuff. Thanks.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby jclayton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:32 pm

1 and 2 can't be swapped or you will start to weight both skis at the same time .

If you feel out of control it just means you have to spend more time balanced on the LTE to get used to it . Then roll the ski and start to CB .

Probably if you feel out of control it is because your wieght is back . With pressure on the forebody of the ski it is easier to find balance .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby jclayton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Rather than think of putting pressure on the LTE think of balancing on the LTE .

And rather than thinking of "switching "to the BTE , think of rolling to flat then let the LTE lead the tipping angle . Also with all the more technical stuff on the latest threads we ( or I do at least ) tend to forget that this action is passive . Passive balancing on LTE then flat , then BTE while the free ski tips more and more .
jclayton

Postby cheesehead » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:58 am

I was probably not far enough forward. And not tipping enough. When I flex the stance ski to release should I actually feel an increase in speed?
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby ibMED » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 pm

cheesehead wrote:
h.harb wrote:.....The SuperPM puts emphasis where it should be, on standing on the old inside ski, the LTE, before the stance leg is flexed and stance ski lifted.

Oh. Well, I spent the whole day yesterday, proud of myself for "mastering" the sequence:
1) flex the outside leg to release
2) put pressure on the inside leg LTE
3)switch to that foot's BTE to make it the new outside stance leg

I did find the out-of-control feeling between 1 and 2 a little disturbing. So, I am supposed to switch (1) and (2) around? That should reduce the out-of-control factor, I hope.

Gosh, it helps to actually read and to actually understand this stuff. Thanks.

cheesehead,
Assuming your quote of HH is correct, your movement sequence is incorrect for the super phantom. HH is telling us to transfer balance to the LTE before flexing to release. That's the start position for the one foot release stationary drill. In practice, I found it awkward and slow to place all weight on the LTE, at least at the beginning.

Another thought is that as you flex, you need your weight to be moving forward over the skis - Feel the Force. Think of being pulled into the turn. My experience in both the stationary one and two foot releases is that your weight must be going forward. Neutral and rear positions do not work. It's a complex movement.

My little mental checklist would be:
1) Put pressure on the LTE
2) Flex to release, weight goes forward, move to new CB position
3) Tip the new free foot and keep tipping it. (The new BTE just goes for the ride)
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby jclayton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Hang on IbMed ,

you have to release before you transfer otherwise you will have weight on both skis .

Remember the mantra " Release - Transfer - Engage "

I guess the subltety is having the LTE engaged just slightly , release the stance BTE , then the transfer of balance from BTE to LTE , then " stand " on the LTE , then roll over the the new BTE and engage .
jclayton

Postby ibMED » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

jclayton,

From a previous post, trtaylor sent me the following link from a PMTS newsletter

http://pmts.org/newsletter/0601/0601.pdf

Among other items, there is a description of the Superphantom and how to develop the turn on a step by step basis. The primary learning steps are to transfer weight to the LTE without releasing. It's an excellent resource.

In watching HH video and photomontage sequences, he performs the movement very quickly, but, I have to think that for a very short period of time there is shared weight.
ibMED

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 pm

The release and transfer happen because of lifting and tipping the outside ski. The key is to make sure you don't flatten the inside ski before you lift and tip the outside ski.
Max_501

Postby jclayton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

IbMed ,
I checked the article but couldn't find ;
"The primary learning steps are to transfer weight to the LTE without releasing. It's an excellent resource"

However I did find ;
" If the first movement from the old turns to the new isn’t a
strong, committed, deliberate movement of the stance foot to
initiate the transition, the turn is already lost. By this
movement I mean a bending of the old stance leg, lightening
of the old stance foot and tipping of the old stance foot toward
the little toe • Begin by traversing a slope and pick up the stance ski,
finishing the traverse on the little toe edge of the uphill
foot."

Also some good advice for Cheesehead ;

"Start of the Super Phantom
• Again, practice this until you can perform the traverse
perfectly, the whole way across the slope.
• Now traverse the slope balancing on the uphill little toe
edge and lift the lower foot and touch its ski to the uphill
boot.
• Practice this until you can lift and touch the lower ski to
uphill boot at least five times in the traverse, without
losing your balance and without diminishing the grip of
the uphill, little-toe edgeedge of the ski."

If you find the bit about transferring wieght to the LTE WITHOUT releasing let me know . It sounds anti PMTS to me .

Cheers
jclayton

Postby ibMED » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

jclayton

I found the first quote somewhat confusing, I would offer the following:

From p.7 of the above link. My reading the below is this is closer to "transfer, release, engage". The second bullet point lifts your former stance ski and taps it to the uphill boot. Then the tipping or releasing process starts.

Super Phantom with Turns
• Make a series of turns on an
easy slope. Near the end of the
turn leave the free ski (the one
tipped to its little-toe edge) on
the snow on its little-toe edge.
• Lift the old stance ski and bring
it toward the little toe edged
foot (as in the traverse exercise)
until they touch. Hold the lifted
boot touching the little-toe
edged boot.
• Now perform two movements
together: as you touch the boots
together, tip the free foot toward
the little toe edge.
• This movement will begin the
transition into the new turn
when done exactly as described
or done correctly. Be sure to
keep the old inside ski and boot
tipped onto the little toe edge, as
you did during the traverse part
of the exercise earlier, when you
lifted the old stance foot up toward the little toe edge
boot.
• Try to make these turns on flat terrain where you can be
deliberate about making the movements correctly
without worrying about gathering too much speed

Take what you will from the above. It's my simple reading and I've sure been wrong before.
ibMED

Postby jclayton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I think I see where the misunderstanding is .

Leave the free ski on its LTE - nothing has happened yet .

Lift the old stance ski - this is the release , you release/lift the old stance ski - first action in the transition .

The transfer is the transfer of balance to the LTE - it is physically impossible to transfer balance until the balance has been released from the old stance ski . If the balance hasn't been released it can't be transferred . It is almost simultaneous though , especially in fast turns .

I think you are seeing the transfer as something that happens later in the turn . What do you think ?
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Max501 said it, listen to what he said. The reason anyone has trouble with a Super Phantom is because they don't finish with the inside ski tipped high enough and pulled in close enough to the outside boot before the releasing begins. Also, you have to hold the little toe edge ski, on it's little toe while you flex the stance leg.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System