2010/2011 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

2010/2011 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:25 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This information is now final)

When: February 5/6, 2011
Where: Mad River Valley, VT (resorts will be Sugarbush and Mad River Glen; if conditions are not friendly, this will convert to two days at Sugarbush)
Who's Invited: Forum posters, spouses, kids, friends, dogs, goldfish. Everybody's friendly and last year's event wasn't a catastrophe, so feel free to bring PMTS-curious folks this year.

Lodging info:

Sugar Lodge at Sugarbush
2197 Sugarbush Access Road
Warren, VT 05674
Please tell them you're with the PMTS group.

rates:
For 2 nights, $119 per person plus taxes, assuming double occupancy
For 3 nights, $164 per person plus taxes, assuming double occupancy

lift tickets:
We'll add these to our lodging (and get their added discount) through the Sugar Lodge the week before we arrive. If there's snow coming, we'll go one day at Sugarbush and one at MRG. If conditions suggest MRG will make for a rough day and trashed skis, we'll go for 2 days at Sugarbush.

NOTE: When you book, please send me a PM with your name(s), email/mobile number(s), and when you plan to arrive. I'll email everybody a lift ticket reminder the week before we go, in case you forget to check the forum. We found mobile numbers to be very helpful for finding and coordinating with people on the mountain last year, so I'm asking for them again. I won't share your contact info with anybody without your express permission, so if I get hit by a bus on my way to the mountain, you'll have fun finding each other, but at least you won't get any extra spam. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,

Following the success of last year's impromptu meetup, we've decided to expand a little this year. I've updated the title to now include New Yorkers and other non-New Englanders as official invitees. Sorry for the naming last year; I'm glad it didn't deter you guys from attending. :)

The idea for this year's meetup is the same as last year's. There are a bunch of people from the Northeast who post here, and this is an opportunity for us to meet up and ski together. I'm scheduling it for a bit earlier in the season this year, and since we're giving people more notice, I want to open up the option of a 2-day event. I suspect this may be an attractive option for the folks who have long drives to attend.

I have a couple questions for you:

1) Is February 5/6 a terrible idea for some reason I didn't consider? I see no camps scheduled that would conflict, and it's not Valentine's or President's Day weekend.

2) Would you prefer a 1-day or 2-day meetup? In the latter case, I'd be happy to handle the logistics for a group lodging block. In either, I'll do the logistics for a group buy on lift tickets.

Please post below to let me know if you can attend. As with last year, I'll look at the attendee roster and see what I can do about finding the most central location. This will likely be somewhere in southern VT or NH, but if we get 30 folks from Maine and nobody from anywhere else, I'll be driving to Sugarloaf.

Additionally, some folks last year asked about Glen Scannell, and I'm pleased to report that he plans to attend. Please help me solidify the dates quickly, so we can get a spot on his calendar this year.

Thanks!

Dan
Last edited by dan.boisvert on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dan.boisvert

Re: 2010/2011 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Postby bogiek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi , I'm new to this forum , but one of the first to say " yes " to 2-day meeting . My location is Hamilton , Ontario. Bob K.
bogiek

Postby midwif » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Count me in! For 2 days.
Lynn
midwif

Postby meput » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 pm

if we get 30 folks from Maine and nobody from anywhere else, I'll be driving to Sugarloaf

I can commit to two Mainer's tonight and if you give me a couple of weeks, I should be able to get you 30 for Sugarloaf !! :lol: !!

All joking aside, just name the hill and I will plan to be there.

Looking forward to getting back on the skis, the 'loaf is scheduled to open in a week.

meput
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby trtaylor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I would plan to be there.
trtaylor

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:35 am

HI Dan,
Sounds good to me.I'll pass along you plans to a few other guys involved with PMTS.
See you in Feb. or sooner.
Dan

Postby skinj » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:59 am

I would enjoy skiing with the group but weekends are difficult -- kids. Any interest in weekdays? (Less crowded and accommodations are cheaper!)
skinj

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 am

I'll plan on being there. I can probably round up a few other people to come too. Let's try to find a place that will work well for the majority of the people that can commit to coming. There's going to be pros and cons for just about any place that you choose. And since it's going to be on a weekend, there's always going to be the issue of crowds. Sugarloaf would be a great place to have it, but it's as far away from anywhere as you can get. Ditto for Sunday River. New Hampshire mountains are generally smaller and are more prone to weekend crowds because of the I 93 factor, with the exception of Cannon and possibly Bretton Woods. While the conditions are generally good, BW suffers from a destinct lack of challenging terrain. And Cannon, known as the ice capitol of New England, and for good reason, can be a real crapshoot. Stowe in VT, despite the fact that it's a long drive for most people, would be another great place if you could have it there mid week, but other than that, the crowds and expense would almost rule out a weekend get together. Sugarbush could be a real sleeper. Tons of varying terrain, good lifts, usually good snow, not generally as crowded as some other places, and a friendly locals mountain type of vibe. But once again, it's a long haul to get there. Killington is what it is, and on the weekends, it tends to bring out the worst of those qualities. Okemo and Stratton in southern VT would both be good choices. Big mountains, lots of lifts, reliable snowmaking and grooming. Affordable lodging could be problem at Stratton. We should probably throw Mt Snow into the mix, although I find it to be a bit boring. And all of southern vt mnts share the same crowding problem. And then, if the resort experience is not high on the agenda, you always have the option of some of the smaller mountains like Magic, Pico or Bromley. So lots of things to think about. Let the voting begin.
Mac

Postby ginaliam » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 am

My thoughts

1. I am interested-i missed the main day last year but skied with Dan the following day at magic-great day!

2. The Key to surviving weekend crowds is to pick places that have dedicated lifts serving expert terrain. Like the Northface at Mt. Snow, Castlerock/ heaven's Gate at Sugarbush, etc. I've skied both of these places on the busiest of days, and once you get through the main area crowd, it's smooth sailing once you park on these more expert lifts. I love Stowe, but on a weekend-since every run comes back to the base, it's impossible to shed the masses for very long.

3. I'm another vote for Vermont-although I'd also plug for the most under-rated ski area in the North east-Gore Mountain (which has great terrain, and excellent crowd dispersion) and might appeal to our new york friends (and it's cheaper than a lot of other places). I love the non resort places as long as the skiing is higher end (yes Magic, Mad River, Cannon...no to Bromley).

4. Mount Snow is way more interesting than Okemo and Stratton put together...not meaning to start an Epicski-style Flame-war, here, but it is :D . It's also damn handy and a lot of fun after skiing.

I think a two days in the Mad River Valley would be pretty great trip with a day at the 'bush and a day at Mad river Glen.

But honestly, just about anywhere might work me.

Thanks for putting this together again, Dan!
ginaliam

Postby ToddW » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 am

Dan,

The dates are good for me as far as I know now. Count me in for both days. I'm looking forward to seeing last year's gang and meeting some new folks. Watch out for Midwif -- don't get between her and the trees :shock:

There's been some mention of advanced terrain, but let's not scare away the PMTS skiers who are more comfortable on blue (or green) terrain. One of the great things about PMTS technique is you can have almost as much fun pushing for angles on a gentle green as skiing on a challenging slope.

Todd
ToddW

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:40 pm

4. Mount Snow is way more interesting than Okemo and Stratton put together...not meaning to start an Epicski-style Flame-war, here, but it is . It's also damn handy and a lot of fun after skiing.

I'll agree to the second part, but as to the first part, I must be missing something. Now I did enjoy Haystack right down the road when it was part of Mt Snow, that was an interesting little mountain. But Mt Snow? I guess it's time for another trip there to see what I'm missing.
Mac

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:06 pm

[quote][/quote]There's been some mention of advanced terrain, but let's not scare away the PMTS skiers who are more comfortable on blue (or green) terrain. One of the great things about PMTS technique is you can have almost as much fun pushing for angles on a gentle green as skiing on a challenging slope.

Agreed. Far better to have it at a place where everyone can be comfortable at. And you have to take into consideration that in low snow years, places like MRG and Magic are not the place to bring your good skis.
Mac

Postby ginaliam » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Your right there, Mac-Haystack really was a wonderful little mountain (still fun to skin up).

Mt Snow has the same groomer cruisers every place does, of course. But it has the best tree skiing south of Sugarbush (no really, and I'm talking about on the map glades not secret local stuff). The Carinthia mountain park and stunt area is amazing if you're into that sort of stuff (and your kids definitely will be). The dedicated bump runs on the north face and on Bear Trap are legit. Great snow making-I used to really hate Mount Snow-but since the new owners took over it's really grown on me.

You know, when it has good coverage, Mad River Glen has some of the most enjoyable intermediate and Green terrain in all of New England.

I've never been to Sugarloaf, I hear folks rave about though and I'd be interested in going.

All the main resorts in New England have the right blend of terrain variety. Honestly, if Dan is willing to organize, I think we all should just go with wherever he'd like to ski most as all these places will be a good time. Or just put 10 resort names in a hat and draw one.
ginaliam

Postby meput » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Dan did a great job organizing the last NE get together. It is Dan's enthusiasm that got us together. I will leave it to Dan to decide where we meet. (just like last time :roll: ). Just name the hill and I will be there. Of course the 'loaf is usually nice at the beginning of Feb.
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Welcome, Bob K! I guess from your perspective, you're probably a southeasterner, so we might have to rename this thing again next year. ;)

Lynn, Tim, and Dan, it'll be great to meet you, as well as to ski again with the crew who made it last year.

skinj--I'd love to be able to ski more on weekdays, but I'm perennially low on vacation time, so that doesn't typically work for me. Are your kids of skiable age? Bring them!

Based on the initial feedback, I'm leaning strongly toward keeping the Feb 5/6 date and making this a 2-day event, which opens up options for mountains a bit more. On that topic, I'm glad you guys trust my judgment. :D The mountain we end up at will definitely be friendly to people of all levels, and I don't like standing in line either, so I'll work on this until I find a solution I'm happy with. I did some poking around, and it appears there's a combo Sugarbush/Mad River multi-day ticket available, where you get to choose where you go each morning. That would seem to give us the best of both worlds--Mad River for at least one day if it snows, and Sugarbush as a backstop if conditions are rough. If I can get the logistics to work out for that combo lift ticket and lodging at reasonable prices, it's almost a shoo-in. I'll work on this.

Speaking of logistics, if any of you know the Sugarbush/Mad River area well and are willing to volunteer as lodging consultant, would you please send me a PM? I've got a couple ideas I'd like to run by you.

Thanks,

Dan
dan.boisvert

Next

Return to Posse