NYT Presentation on Ligety's GS Technique

NYT Presentation on Ligety's GS Technique

Postby HighAngles » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 am

Very cool presentation style. I'm sure discussion of the content will be interesting... :wink:

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/sochi-olympics/giant-slalom.html?hp
HighAngles

Re: NYT Presentation on Ligety's GS Technique

Postby Basil j » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks for posting this. Very, very cool presentation.
Basil j

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am

Ligety's description of his own skiing is always interesting to me because he talks like an athlete, not a coach. Using his descriptions of the feelings he expereinces, it would be hard to reproduce what he's doing if you took them verbatim... If you reproduce the movements and timing, you can really understand why he uses the descriptions that he does.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks for the link.
BigE

Postby jclayton » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am

What a great presentation ! Debunks the Skivotting theories .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Ligety's description of his own skiing is always interesting to me because he talks like an athlete, not a coach. Using his descriptions of the feelings he expereinces, it would be hard to reproduce what he's doing if you took them verbatim... If you reproduce the movements and timing, you can really understand why he uses the descriptions that he does.

Exactly! At those speeds and angles it takes an incredible effort to get to and maintain an extended outside leg. Easy to back off and end up in a squatty hips back position when the forces are building so the idea that he is pushing to get forward is understandable if not totally descriptive of the movements to make it happen.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm

It's amazing to think he could be even better if he implemented more pull back than an idea of extension, but it's working, in his way of thinking. Once he is extended (outside leg) he can't push, it's used up, he really doesn't understand that he is building pressure, by the arc against gravity. The way he describes it, says he thinks, (says) he's creating more pressure, but in fact the bow of the arc against gravity is sometimes 5 g, so a human can't create that kind of pressure it comes from the arc, gravity and speed.

Bode isn't losing speed because of the snow flying, he's losing High C and arc because he's extending. This makes him late compared to ligety. Golden rule of PMTS, "You can't tip your skis if you are extending". Bode also does a lot of hip dumping because he does less tipping; it's OK in downhill, but you are hosed in GS and slalom with that approach.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:29 pm

What I'm interested in is the statement, that this is a new way of skiing? Not to us PMTS folks.
h.harb

Postby NoCleverName » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 pm

h.harb wrote:"You can't tip your skis if you are extending".

Somehow, I think that ought to be carved in stone somewhere.

NCN:
HH Quote:
This is one of the golden rules of skiing.
At least in PMTS.
NoCleverName

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Actually, anyone who knows anything about PMTS or ski teaching and coaching, and watches Ligety build the arc, without the sound turned on, would respond by saying, "That is what I'm working on". Especially the release. His CB comes late, but he is a leaner and it catches him in slalom, in slalom it doesn't work even for Ligety. But how many PMTS skiers, recreational skiers, ski 45mph, making 30m radius turns? So although this is fun to watch, much of the relevance for regular skiers, disappears based on the speed and size of arcs.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:17 pm

With PMTS we focus more on a realistic type of skiing shown on the World Cup, which is slalom. The skis we can buy are closer to slalom skis, at least the ones that are fun to ski on. Who skis on 195cm to 200cm, 35 meter radius skis on public slopes, no one.
h.harb

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 am

Its funny, in step three of the presentation Ted talks about stepping on the new outside ski before it switches edges, whereas the video shows a clear flexed transition where first the old outside ski and then the old inside ski is completely in the air. When the new outside ski engages he is already extended. I think that perhaps he is a silent genius about his technique, just like Stenmark was. If he has found the holy grail of GS, why would he share it with his competitors?
Matt

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:31 am

Well at least Ligety is not saying he's extending in transition like he used to do in other pieces I've seen. He's doing what I posted GS was supposed to be skied, about 10 years ago, when the Epic guys were are all over extension and skivoting. It's now obvious, even without listening to Ligety's definition of his skiing, Which is carving high angles early, that The Epic Forum has been and still is all wet and ripe with PSIA trash rather than being able to evaluate the future of ski racing and ski technique , which they have never been able to do. What I don't get is how can USSA Development have a PSIA guy who knows nothing about modern skiing or racing technique be working with development and "Skills Quest: it's absurd at best. But then again that is typical for USSA and PSIA.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Matt: Double "LIKE".
For those not on Facebook, that's good!
h.harb

Return to Racing