New HEAD skis for PMTS - Tuning Question

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

New HEAD skis for PMTS - Tuning Question

Postby sym95734 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi,

I purchased from an online store the Head iSupershape Speed w/12 din bindings Skis 2016.

I understand that skis when they come directly from the factory are prepared with a travel wax rather than a actual 'ready to ski' wax? Is this correct?

Also do the edges/bases of the skis require tuning before use? A full service or a light service - ie just removed wax and re-apply plus tune edges?

What edge angle I should use for PMTS movements?

Thanks
sym95734

Re: New HEAD skis for PMTS - Tuning Question

Postby DougD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:00 am

Not really PMTS questions, but...

New skis should be waxed before skiing. Why wouldn't you? They glide and release better and it protects the bases.

Unless you get your skis for free, I wouldn't tune or bevel a new ski before skiing it. Tuning removes base and edge material. Since you won't know how they ski until you try them, why shorten their life unless they need it?

Edge angles depend on the skis, the expected conditions and a skier's ability and goals. Angles that work for Hirscher or HH on a injected WC slalom course might toss average skiers into the trees.

That said, 1d/3d works for me on most skis (New England recreational skier, NASTAR silver/gold but not a serious racer). I've read that Heads are factory-tuned that way (unverified). I've not measured or yet tuned my new i.SS Speeds but I'd have noticed if they were 0.5degree or more off of that. Chances are they're pretty close.
DougD

Postby sym95734 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks Doug,

the reason I ask is for example, my Rossignol Soul 7 and Salomon 24 hours had a very bad factory tuning but my Rossignol 88 had a very good tuning.

I think I will wait and see.

Thanks
sym95734

Postby sym95734 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:46 pm

FYI Only - I just got a confirmation from HEAD that the Supershape Speed 2016 default factory edges are BASE=1 and SIDE=1.5

Now I don't know how accurate it is.
sym95734

Postby DougD » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:54 am

When skied with appropriate PMTS movements, mine slice crisp, round arcs on translucent VT boilerplate (real ice, not fluffy Western ice :lol: ). Unless I screw up, they don't chatter or move off line. Further, I can shorten turn radius at will (via a carefully modulated increase in tipping) without causing them to break loose.

That would be exceptional performance for a 1.5d side edge. Perhaps the other technologies in the ski provide sufficient damping to allow it? It's a moot point from my POV. As I have no desire to alter their performance, when they need a tuneup I'll have my shop measure them and replicate whatever's there.

Additional data point: the pair I demoed in CO skied just the same, as best as I could tell given different snow conditions. FWIW, the two pairs I've skied seemed consistent.
DougD

Postby sym95734 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks Doug.

I have no plan to change the geometry of my new SS Speed, at least not until I can ski them! BTW the HEAD skis look really good, it is a very high quality product, I am impressed.

Thanks for suggesting the skis to me.

Stephane
sym95734

Postby Max_501 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 pm

See this old thread for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4217
Max_501

Postby sym95734 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks Max
sym95734

Postby h.harb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 pm

There is no wrong angle. Edge bevels are purely a personal choice; they are not an element of the design of the ski. Most PMTS followers go with a 3* side bevel and a 1* or less base bevel. Lots of info is available on the subject of edge bevels.

Good points and right on!

Head skis are fine out of the factory, unless you want real performance on ice. This goes for any ski company. Companies are not tuning aggressively from the factory because they think the public isn't up to the skiing level or ability to handle it. We take, at least most of the PMTS coaches and aggressive skiers, the skis to 1/2 or .75 bottoms, and 3 on the side. To do this you waste some base edge and base materials as the tuners have to go back to flat. It's best to just leave the bases until they get really hacked, then do the bottoms the way you want. I still have my sides done at 3 and I might add hand tuning to get them to 4. If it's a really icy low snow year.
h.harb

Postby sym95734 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks
sym95734

Return to Gear