Boot alighment question

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Boot alighment question

Postby maurice101 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm skiing down under at present. I am bow legged and I am trying to get my boots aligned somewhat OK.
I watched the boot cuff video and even when I adjust my head boots on both sides my legs are not centered.
I tried adding some material at the top of the cuffs and this seems to work and I ski more in balance.
When I do a traverse, I arc up hill a bit but I can balance on one ski OK.
I feel the pressure on the little toe side of the sole of my feet doing this exercise.
Yes I know I need to go to a harb trained boot guy but I do not know anyone in Australia or NZ.
I was wondering if I should try some wedges under the heal tip to see if things improve?
Any suggestions welcome.
maurice101

Re: Boot alighment question

Postby noobSkier » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Have you read the alignment manual?
noobSkier

Postby maurice101 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:29 pm

I have downloaded it. It looks very technical but I will have a closer read.
maurice101

Postby noobSkier » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:01 pm

If you are trying to do it yourself, that book is your bible. On snow assessment is just as important though. If you can't get that, you are pretty much stuck with years of trial and error assuming you are getting frequent video. Without video, or occasional video, it's impossible.
noobSkier

Postby maurice101 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Ok thanks for the way forward. I will be skiing in 10 days and I will try to get some video to post on this forum. Only a intermediate that just learnt to carve on moderate slopes though.
maurice101

Postby tigernbr » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:03 am

A bit of advice for your video: film it on a green slope and don’t rush your movements.
tigernbr

Postby maurice101 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:15 pm

There is a boot guy in Australia that does foot measurements, then the foot beds and cuff adjustment. Then he straps half rounded plastic pieces under the boots so you have to balance on these and he measures the sole boot angle and then cants boots to slightly on inner edge. Seems a bit like a snow test of boots in some ways.
maurice101

Postby noobSkier » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:06 am

Unfortunately, there is no magic formula that works for everyone. Even HSS needs to see you ski to dial in your alignment, and there is no substitute for that. This is what's missing in even the best ski shops, yes they have all the tools, but they just don't understand skiing. Even if they did, they never get to see you ski so how can they know if their work was effective? In other words, it's all posturing...might as well be sprinkling holy water on your boot setup.
noobSkier

Return to Gear