'Essentials of Skiing' & a great coach!

PMTS Forum

'Essentials of Skiing' & a great coach!

Postby DonDenver » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:35 pm

While a long time reader on this forum site I had yet to post until now as I wish to share with you value found in the book ‘Essentials of Skiing’ as well as to express appreciation to Paul for his untiring belief in ‘Essentials’ along with his particular on-the-slope coaching patience and expertise with the essential movements.

However, notable, this post is on behalf of my wife, Betsy, with whom I’ve skied for many enjoyable years and who should be considered a high level skier capable of ‘hanging’ with about 90% of the men skiing on any hill. Paul began skiing with Betsy and me over a year ago with this season turning focus on Betsy’s finer mechanics, movements and ‘approach’ to skiing. The goal for Betsy was to help elevate her game to charge all-Mountain anything, anywhere, anytime and with anyone.

Paul’s method to achieve this goal was very simple and clearly stated; “read HH’s ‘Essentials’ and come ski with me”. Betsy and I did both and certainly have benefited. While I did at one point in time feel I knew everything about skiing due to my many years charging on snow; I must admit after having the opportunity to watch the ‘essentials’ jump from the pages with Paul's patience and clear articulation...well...the results speak volumes. I certainly can see Betsy’s improvement while she has noticed mine this season.

Obviously the movement foundation found in Essential’s coupled with the first hand coaching from a high level practitioner like Paul has been monumental in our ‘break-out’ season of skiing. And speaking of monumental; we wish to express congratulations for Paul’s successful 1st year of sobriety with an obvious renewed passion for life, family, friends and of course, skiing. Betsy and I were fortunate to participate with many folks at Paul's 1 year celebration party held, of course, skiing at A-Basin. Cheers again to Paul and thanks to Harald for the ‘Essentials of Skiing’.

Paul demonstrates some 'essential' movements...:

Betsy has a 1 year celebration cake in hand ready to hand off to Paul and his family [at the Beach, A-Basin]:

Many friends and family joined up with Paul and his Son for a great day at the beach!:
DonDenver

Re: 'Essentials of Skiing' & a great coach!

Postby Mac » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Nice pictures, DD. Paul is certainly fun to ski with, and a great coach besides. We had a chance to ski with him last year with a couple of my friends, and he was very generous with his time and knowledge. I was trading emails with him this morning, we are making plans to get together next weekend at ABasin.
Ialso had the opportunity to ski with Harald last season, he made a point of drilling into my head the importance of the "Essentials," and it's made a huge difference in my skiing. It's amazing that when you think you pretty much know it all that a few minor tweaks in your technique can cause such a major breakthrough.
Last edited by Mac on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac

Postby Mac » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 pm

By the way, DD, please feel free to join us if you want to make some turns next weekend. We plan to meet up with Paul at ABasin Friday morning, and will probably ski Loveland on Saturday to take in the Corn Harvest. On Sunday we will ski one or the other.
Also, it looks like from the photo that Betsy has got a little bit of a knock-kneed stance going on there. A trip to the Skunkworks could be in order for her. Harald can work wonders with boots, too! Just kidding, but if you're going to hang in this neighborhood, a thick skin can come in handy!
Take care,
Mac
Mac

Postby DonDenver » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Just took a peek back in here...yes Mac, the posse is growing for A-Basin on Friday...see ya there
DonDenver

Postby Mac » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:22 am

Just remember that you guys have got to take it easy on us flatlanders. We all live at sea level here. We are out of breath just from bending over to buckle up our boots!
Mac

Postby Just a Skier » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Paul = SCSA? Isn't that the dude that crashed into another skier at the Epic Gathering a year or two ago? And used to claim he was better than 97% of everyone on the hill? I've seen him around and didn't realize he had any PMTS certs.
Just a Skier

Postby rbrooks » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:54 pm

No, Paul=Paul. We had a great day at A-Basin with Paul, DenverDon and Betsy and Chris from Akron. Paul went out of his way to show us some excellent lines on a scratchy day. After I asked him to watch me, he had some valuable tips for skiing ungroomed runs. He uses primary movements in all conditions and sees them in others, but he enjoys skiing with anyone. I don't know that other guy. I don't think Paul does either.

Randy
rbrooks

Postby DonDenver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:55 pm

No better example of a deft touch dismissing disingenuous noise :wink: Randy; I called Paul to again thank him for the fortunate introduction with you, Mac and Bill this weekend. How enjoyable it was sharing a great time with you guys at both A-Basin and Loveland. You all impressed me with your altitude acclamation arriving so soon from sea level as well as ability to ski [well] with all the changes that the weather presented. Nicely done! I will post some pictures on this forum soon but until then here is a link over to Epic and a TR:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=69791
DonDenver

Postby Just a Skier » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:21 pm

I think if you do some simple searching on the forums as I did the other day, you'll find that Paul is indeed the fellow who used the handle SCSA. Does he have any PMTS certs? Just a skier asking a question, don't get your knickers in a knot now. 8)
Just a Skier

Postby rbrooks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:23 am

If you already knew, why'd you ask? and why'd you bring it up?
rbrooks

Postby Just a Skier » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:55 am

Aw shucks, rb, you're all ruffled up, don't understand why. Awfully sorry. I just wanted to know if it was the same guy (I found out it was after a spot of research), then asked if he had any PMTS certs. Does he? That's all. :)
Just a Skier

Postby rbrooks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:42 am

"Isn't that the dude that crashed into another skier at the Epic Gathering a year or two ago? And used to claim he was better than 97% of everyone on the hill?"

Yeah, right.
rbrooks

Postby Just a Skier » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:51 am

I'll take your deflection as evidence that you don't know if he has any PMTS certs. Wish you'd just said that earlier.
Just a Skier

Postby rbrooks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:28 am

Actually, I do know. I just took offense at the way you asked. I didn't think those things were relevant, but on reflection, who cares? Since you asked, no, he's not PMTS certified.
rbrooks

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:47 am

Don, sounds like you and Betsy had a very rewarding season with Essentials and Paul, making some great improvements in your skiing! My congratulations on the dedication and hard work I know it takes! BTW, for those that may be lurking, if you haven't picked up a copy of Essentials get one to read this summer.

Paul is a high level skier that has been studying PMTS since the beginning so I'm sure he was able to help Don and Betsy a great deal. I don't understand the line of questioning about Paul. Is there some other motivation at play that I'm missing?
Max_501

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System