most important thing to work on

PMTS Forum

most important thing to work on

Postby rossymcg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 am

Hello All,
Just been working on my skiing for the past 2 weeks whilst on holiday, my thighs started to burn after a couple of days despite me being very fit strenght wise and cardio wise. I took some footage on a phone and noticed i was sat in the back seat. I also saw i wasn't tipping enough with my free foot. So whats the most important issue for me to work on 1st? when i concentrate on pulling my feet back i cant concentrate on tipping and vice versa.
My feelings when pulling the feet back are more conection with the front of the boots and a more upright posture(back end not hanging out). My feelings when concentrating on tipping is a tighter turn radius. Would these be the correct sentations i should be feeling?
One last point, In the past i've been known to try and gain higher edge angles by knee drive(which i've come to the conclusion limits the edge angles that can be achieved, due to the fact there is only so far knee agluation can take one). I really worked on lowing my hip in to the turn whilst CBing, My arcing became tigher and upon releasing the stance ski(via unweighting and tipping) i found i was catapulted in to the next turn with a lot of energy, would this be a correct sensation i should be feeling?
Thanks in advance
For now
Ross
rossymcg

Re: most important thing to work on

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 am

Post the phone video in the MA section. Confirm if you are doing the movements correctly, and correct as necessary. PMTS doesn't really teach "feelings" and "sensations".
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby rossymcg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:51 am

ok will do, you say PMTS doesn't teach feelings, do you not translate a correct movement to a feeling so you can go off and practice knowing that the feeling you gained doing the correct movement is the feeling you should be experiencing, when practicing to make the new movement ingrained?
rossymcg

Postby HighAngles » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 am

Trying to describe feelings to each other (and between coach and student) would be a hit or miss proposition (mostly miss) and why it's not found in any of the PMTS teachings or feedback. That's not to say there aren't "feelings" in PMTS, but they're individualized and you won't know how they should feel to you until you work on your PMTS movements with direct feedback from a coach (or you could substitute immediate review of your own video if you truly understand what the movements should look like). We often say here that as you work through learning correct PMTS movements that they won't "feel" good; they'll feel unnatural because that's not how you normally ski. It's takes a good bit of work until they're ingrained and start feeling "right".
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

rossymcg wrote:ok will do, you say PMTS doesn't teach feelings, do you not translate a correct movement to a feeling so you can go off and practice knowing that the feeling you gained doing the correct movement is the feeling you should be experiencing, when practicing to make the new movement ingrained?

We don't use feelings which are an internal cues and often misleading. Instead we use like to use external cues.
Last edited by Max_501 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 am

you say PMTS doesn't teach feelings

That's right because we all have them and they are mis-leading, never rely on your feelings in skiing; unless you can back them up with "perfect movements" validated by video. Even then, they can change and bit you because, "it felt right"!
h.harb

Postby fourftr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi All
This is probably a dumb question but I don't understand Pulling the free foot back If your in a turn either left or right turn and your inside ski is ahead of the stance ski so when you transfer to make the next turn the old stance ski becomes the free foot now when you roll to the LTE that ski is also slightly ahead of the stance ski so I don't understand the pullback of the free foot. I hope I didn't confuse anyone I just can't figure it out. Also if someone can explain what holding that free foot against the stance boot what purpose does it hold
fourftr

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi All
This is probably a dumb question but I don't understand Pulling the free foot back If your in a turn either left or right turn and your inside ski is ahead of the stance ski so when you transfer to make the next turn the old stance ski becomes the free foot now when you roll to the LTE that ski is also slightly ahead of the stance ski so I don't understand the pullback of the free foot. I hope I didn't confuse anyone I just can't figure it out. Also if someone can explain what holding that free foot against the stance boot what purpose does it hold

When you say the inside ski is ahead of the stance ski, this indicates to me that you haven't pulled it back.

If you manage to finish the turn with the stance ski ahead of the free ski, then isn't a pullback move in the new turn just what you need in the new turn to reverse this?

If you wish to search the forum for discussion on the movement, try searching under "for/aft balance", that's what the movement is adjusting.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 pm

fourftr wrote:Hi All

See Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier 2, starting on page 63.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm counting the minutes guys, (these questions have been covered extensively) on this forum. That was the correct answer Max! """"LIKE""""!!!!!!
h.harb

Postby fourftr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

To H Harb like to hear your opinion on Strolz Boots I have lot of foot issues. Can I learn the PMTS skiing in the Strolz Boot. I heard these boots aren't suited for the PMTS. From what Ive read You will give the facts
fourftr

Postby fourftr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Max I did read that chapter over and over and if I did understand it I would not of ask the forum for help Also to reply to Harald's response. That topic might have been covered extensive but I am new to this forum and would not have known that and if that question bothered your patience sorry to waste your time
fourftr

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

When you say the inside ski is ahead of the stance ski, this indicates to me that you haven't pulled it back.

If you manage to finish the turn with the stance ski ahead of the free ski, then isn't a pullback move in the new turn just what you need in the new turn to reverse this?

If you wish to search the forum for discussion on the movement, try searching under "for/aft balance", that's what the movement is adjusting.
MonsterMan

Postby fourftr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 am

Monster Man Thanks for the help. I have taking only two private lesson from a instructor (same guy )in Sugarloaf in Maine and wasted my money. So from reading all Harald's book and DVDS I'm trying to learn the PMTS thru trial and error and I'm finding there is so much to learn and in my head it is hard to break it all down. I guess i get too technical and that's why i ask that pullback the free foot question. Like my above post to Max I have read and watch the DVD but it still doesn't make sense. I rode up the chairlift with an Expert level skier and and asked him about it, and he didn't understand it either. I didn't feel so dumb then. I would of rather had Max give me his thoughts. With all the people who use this forum there must be a lot of skiers who don't understand it either because I have not see many reply to this . And if this a dumb question so be it. Just trying to get better! Like Harald says to better a skier you can become the more of the mountain you can enjoy. It's all about the grin factor in the end Thanks again on the help
fourftr

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am

What part is it you don´t understand, is it how to do it or why to do it?
Matt

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System