Fitness STANDARDS

Fitness STANDARDS

Postby rstraker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am

Hi, fellow PMTS'ers.

I'm coming back from a heart attack, a few years ago, and some related issues. Doing well, but want to dial in my fitness more than I used to.

So my question is...what does high-level ready-for-black-level fitness look like. Not how to get there, but what "there" looks like. In other words, what standards would tell you that I'm ready.
rstraker

Re: Fitness STANDARDS

Postby SkiMoose » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:24 am

I'm surprised this hasn't been answered yet. I think that "ready for black" is a fairly loose description, and "ready" depends much more on the exact level that you are skiing at. If your goal was just to be able to get down any black run at most resorts, then you don't need a very high level of fitness at all. You'd just take more mid-run breaks than a skier in better shape. If your goal is to carve SL turns down an icy black pitch, then we're getting into a whole different thing. Core/leg strength and endurance just become more and more important as the forces and speeds get higher.
SkiMoose

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Never-mind black-level fitness... First, are you cleared to ski by your doctor(s)?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:11 am

rstraker wrote:So my question is...what does high-level ready-for-black-level fitness look like. Not how to get there, but what "there" looks like. In other words, what standards would tell you that I'm ready.

I'm sure it varies for each person since we all do different off season activities. When I'm in great shape for performance skiing I have no problem mt bike riding 25+ miles or hiking 10+ miles with 2K+ of elevation gain. My body fat will be in the single digits. Just take a look at HH to see the shape he maintains to ski at a very high level.
Max_501

Postby ErikCO » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:41 pm

I would want a clarification as to what you mean by "ready-for-black". Are we talking about ready for skiing black terrain with good PMTS form and judicious rests, or do you mean ready to qualify for a PMTS black-level instructor test? They are two very different questions. For the first, I'd say decent general fitness is fine (on the order of what Max said, though not necessarily needing body fat in the single digits, more like, can you run a 5k, bike 15 miles, hike 8-10 with 2-3k elevation gain without too much difficulty). For the second, I think I remember HH saying somewhere, and please correct me if I'm wrong on this, that to pass a PMTS black instructor test you needed to be able to ski a double diamond bump run with ~2k vertical with short turns in rhythm without stopping.

I would say, based on video, that I am mostly at the first level, no where near the second.
ErikCO

Postby Max_501 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 am

What I described is several steps above general good fitness (for me) as noted by the low body fat. The more weight I carry the more effort required to make high performance turns, especially in bumps and crud or carving up groomers with SL turns. Just 10 pounds will make a difference in how hard and long I can hit it.

And I second this post from Heluva...

HeluvaSkier wrote:Never-mind black-level fitness... First, are you cleared to ski by your doctor(s)?
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Max_501 wrote:Just 10 pounds will make a difference in how hard and long I can hit it.

I was never heavy but had been doing more strength training and less cycling and my weight went to 193-194 lbs (I'm 6 3" so still not heavy). Gave up sugar two years ago and dropped 13 lbs in 8 weeks. I was somewhat worried about skiing because I had lost some real muscle and size especially in the legs. Was shocked to find out that everything was a lot easier 10-13 lbs lighter. Skied my best ever by a wide margin the past two years. As we get older weight is key and less is definitely more!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Fitness