Free Foot Management at Sugar Bowl Academy

PMTS Forum

Free Foot Management at Sugar Bowl Academy

Postby Bob Albrecht » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:16 pm

I noticed in an ad for Sugar Bowl Academy in Ski Racing (vulume 36, issue 3, page 48), a photograph of a young woman making a really good slalom turn. She appears to be creating effective body angles by strongly tipping the free foot to its' little toe edge progressively throughout the turn. My guess is that Harald might agree that she appears to be a "poster child" for free foot management. I am aware that Sugar Bowl Academy is coached by Hermann Gollnar and that Harald Harb coaches in some of their camps. I also have the impression that in very high level racing such as the World Cup all of the top racers appear to be leading the action of the turn by progressive tipping of the free foot to its' little toe edge.

I am wondering if youngsters entering programs such as Sugar Bowl Academy already have a notion of free foot management when they enter the program, or whether they must be taught from scratch. I am aware that kids often learn more from peers than they may have learned from childhood instructors. Is this possibly a case of, as Leo Tolstoy wrote in War and Pease, "The chickens are teaching the hens"?
Cheers, Bob Albrecht
Bob Albrecht

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System