Powder day at Alta

PMTS Forum

Powder day at Alta

Postby Jeff Markham » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:31 am

I got out to Alta three days last weekend. Thursday's runs (Thanksgiving) were a little shaky on the morning, but got better. On Friday, I managed to get on a blue run which had about 18 inches of powder and relatively few tracks. Someone had taken some straight runs down the fall line, so it looked like I might be able to make it down the hill, even if I didn't manage to turn.

I started heading straight down the hill, trying to keep my weight forward and my boots together. For the first time in my skiing experience, as my speed increased, my skis started rising to the surface. It was a little weird with the balance, as I crossed some old tracks, but my speed stabilized and I was able to run it out. I didn't do much in the way of turning -- although I was able to persuade the skis to make some *very* long turns.

Unfortunately, I didn't know what to do next. I remembered that Harald had written about bouncing in powder on a straight run, so I started bouncing up and down to get a feel for things.

After I got home, I re-read Harald's comments about beginning powder skiiing, so I've got a few things to try the next time I get out in powder.

A big day for me...

Any advice from you powder skiers?
Jeff Markham

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System