Feet together to learn tipping

PMTS Forum

Re: Feet together to learn tipping

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 pm

BigE wrote:Where in those 20 minutes do we have time to teach bogus movement patterns?

This is often a conversation that we have around here with regards to the terrain we have available and the length of our season. If we ski only weekends we end up with maybe 40 days per season. Even with the occasional weekday, it is rare to get much more than 40 - 50 days. One season of real training out west is equivalent to three back east. We really don't have any time to waste.

Also - as you get more into PMTS training you will find the divide between today's traditional training and what is available with PMTS will only become greater - not narrower as some will suggest. The paths really only diverge instead of converge... The result is a distinct discrepancy between truly good skiers and everybody else. When you see a skier on the mountain that appears to be playing a different game from everyone else because they are just so far ahead of even the best of the rest - that's a sign they have had really good training somewhere along the line - which is what PMTS gives you. Even compared to the "best of the rest" you'll be in a different league.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby onyxjl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

I relearn this every year when I get out west. Skiing in the midwest it's very easy to get lazy with the feet unless you stay focused on the drills. Just spent five days skiing at Alta and skiing off the High T in powder and crud will quickly show you when things aren't working right. I was occasionally getting stuck railing on the outside ski because my feet were getting knocked apart and I was leaning into the turns. Took a morning when the snow was hard and crusty to work on essentials and the next day linked turns top-to-bottom on Stonecrusher in 12" of new. Having all the essentials come together well enough to make that run was the most fun I've had skiing.

I know I've still got a long way to go but for someone who gets 20 days at most a season, 90% of those on a 300ft hill, finding PMTS four seasons ago has let me get a lot more money for my lift tickets. This stuff works.
onyxjl

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm

How is it possible to coach without actually teaching the movements of skiing? Is it better to taunt/tease and misdirect to acheive the outcome that the coach wants?

Why not just "say it,show it and doit"?

Well, isn't that interesting..... that was once a CSIA motto!
BigE

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 am

It's possible, I see it every day, no one said it was effective.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 am

Good stuff here.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System