Tactics for heavy, slushy snow?

PMTS Forum

Re: Tactics for heavy, slushy snow?

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 am

Max_501 wrote:
l2ski wrote:When the snow is heavy, soft, sugary, and somewhat deep, which is what happens
to the groomed trails by the afternoon, should I still seek to have most of my balance
on the stance ski after transition? I'm probably also trying to ski too slowly in this stuff
because it's intimidating.

How deep is the snow and is it sticky?

On this day it was not sticky. On the groomed green runs, I'd say
the depth is variable and ranges between 1 in and 6 in, with a hard base beneath.
The snow gets pushed around by the end of the morning.
l2ski

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am

h.harb wrote:Skiing in these conditions it's a matter of tricks, it's a matter of the right PMTS thoughts and actions. You do have to be more sensitive to what the snow will do to you. If the snow pulls your skis back because it sticks, you have to push forward to balance it out. Spread the load over both skis in transitions, and definitely don't rotate your torso.

I'm sure you have read this because you bounced the thread but this really is the answer.

Btw he meant to say its NOT a matter of tricks.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm

jbotti is right on the money. If you want more info on skiing funky snow see this thread - Off piste - technique and tactics
Max_501

Postby l2ski » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:39 am

Thank you jobotti and Max_501.

I was not looking for tactics or tricks, just some extra detail on the timing and duration of the PMTS movements.

I have read that Off piste thread multiple times.
Here is one quotation which answers my question:

h.harb wrote:Yes, I can ski my 170cm, TT 800 in 1 foot deep powder on steep, like in the Performance Skiing DVD, but I'm using speed to create float. I do not however try for more than 90/10 weight distribution from one ski to the other in the arc. I do go 50/50 in the transition, two footed release in powder basically.

For spring conditions that I described above,
would it be advantageous to slow down the transition so that it consumes the upper part of the arc with
50/50 weight distribution, or should the transition be accomplished always as fast as possible. I'm not talking about
a steep slope in this case. I understand the the bottom of the arc should be carved with weight mostly on the stance ski.
l2ski

Postby skijim13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:42 am

I ski in the Northeast on this junk all the time. The movement I think about is free foot management, keeping the free foot tucked in and held back and even thru the turn. Also to CA/CB and make sure you don't lean on the uphill ski. Very funny to watch TSS skiers with the wide foot stance and steering movements have multiple yard sales and look at my wife and I and wonder how we are staying up with our narrow stance.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 am

l2ski wrote:I was not looking for tactics or tricks, just some extra detail on the timing and duration of the PMTS movements.

There are no tricks in that thread which discusses TECHNIQUE and TACTICS for funky snow conditions.
Max_501

Postby l2ski » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 am

Max_501 wrote:
l2ski wrote:I was not looking for tactics or tricks, just some extra detail on the timing and duration of the PMTS movements.

There are no tricks in that thread which discusses TECHNIQUE and TACTICS for funky snow conditions.

My mistake with words; I was looking for tactics but not tricks. There are no tricks to good PMTS technique.
l2ski

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System