My favorite drill

PMTS Forum

My favorite drill

Postby The Big Show » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:22 am

Hi all,

I've been spending some time each day doing this drill -- it's really helped my edging and my transition.

The drill is in the 2 video, the one where you make a complete turn on one foot, holding the other off the ground, next to the boot.

1) Stand across the hill (blue or green groomer).
2) Pick up your downhill ski, hold it next to the boot, about 4" off the ground.
3) Start tipping the downhill, lifted foot to the little toe side. Really tip it!
When going through the turn, don't let your lifted boot pull away from the other boot! Hold it to the other boot, pulled back and even with the other boot.
4) When you finish the turn, you should finish on little toe side of the lifted foot, which will now be the uphill ski.

Do this drill until you can make a complete turn on one foot, in balance, and traveling no more than 2 pole lengths.

This drill is working great for me because it really emphasizes tipping. If I do this drill for a few reps then go ski, I notice an instant improvement in edging. My tipping is better, my transition is much better.

So try this drill and lemme know what you think.

Be cool,
The Big Show

Postby Mr. M » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:00 am

I do this drill (and two footed release short turn) also and consider it one of the most important exercises in the book (especially if you like bumps). In addition, pay attention on your upper body so that it?s not turning, but always oriented so that you are looking down the fall line, you can easily make a short turn and the pole will stay planted in original position.
Mr. M

Postby The Big Show » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:02 am

What Mr. M said!

Folks, this drill rocks!
The Big Show

Postby Mr. T » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:19 am

I like this drill too.
To traverse on the uphill foot with the outside edge engaged was not difficult, but to carve on the outside edge of my uphill ski was much more difficult. I add one footed skiing too to my daily drills. Here by one footed skiing I do not mean outside ski dominance, but really ski on only one ski.
Sensation from carving on the outside edge of the uphill ski is even more
fun than normal carving. You are really struggling with the balance issue and you can feel yourself taken for a ride in that position. Lots of fun!

Now I am beginning to practice some charleston steps. Soon I will be dancing on skis. A 215 lbs ballerina on skis! :lol:
Mr. T

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System