Learning PMTS - Info for New Students of PMTS

PMTS Forum

Learning PMTS - Info for New Students of PMTS

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Learning PMTS can be very simple if you follow the progression HH has given us. Book 1, Book 2, then Essentials. No need to over analyze or question the steps that HH has laid out in the books and on this forum because they simply work. Nike has a slogon "Just Do It" and that applies here. Just Do It [PMTS] and you will be on the road to expert skiing.

Historically this forum has been used as a distance learning system to supplement the PMTS books, DVDs, and camps.

If you are learning PMTS from a distance then its very helpful to read the books and watch the videos, starting with Expert Skier 1.

Image ImageImage

And if you are attempting to teach others I'd suggest adding the Instructor Manual to your collection

Read this post by Harald Harb written in 2004 - Book Learning

Nearly every question I can think of has already been asked and answered on this forum. The best way to search the forum is to use Google. Here is an example that you can type into the google search box to find informaing on counteracting movements here.

"counteracting" site:http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum

or

"counter acting" site:http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum

Using Google focused on searching the PMTS forum yields a wealth of information!
Max_501

Re: Learning PMTS

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:09 pm

great tip, thanks.

It also seems to work with multiple words and without the www

e.g.

"boot touch tipping" site:http://pmts.org/pmtsforum
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:49 pm

Yes, but have you looked up, "Hintertux Beer club"?
h.harb

Re: Keep it simple and use Google to search

Postby Kiwi » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm

The advanced search function once on the forum is great also.

I typed "sheep" and got some interesting results..

Kiwi
Kiwi

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 am

I agree with you Max, it's all laid out in the books. The simplest exercises may seem ridiculous, but that's if you're not paying attention or expect that PMTS is a quick fix, or don't really want to do it. It's really all there, and yes, the easiest exercises like walking the S line will help even "good" skiers.

If you've not skied by using foot tipping, you're a PMTS newbie and should start at the beginning. These exercises help identify muscle use, provide coordination and teach balance skills that will become very important when you are sliding.
BigE

Postby theorist » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Max_501 wrote:
The best way to search the forum is to use Google.... Here is an example that you can type into the google search box to find information on counteracting movements here.

"counteracting" site:http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum

FYI, you don't need the "http://www." Just site:pmts.org/pmtsforum works; Google implicitly adds the rest. Also, you can put the search term either before or after the site operator -- Google doesn't care.

So either
"counteracting" site:pmts.org/pmtsforum
or
site:pmts.org/pmtsforum "counteracting"
will work.

To further save time, you can combine terms in one search with a Boolean operator:

site:pmts.org/pmtsforum "counteracting" OR "counter acting"
theorist

Re: Learning PMTS - Info for New Students of PMTS

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 am

If you want to ski like HH you must master the fundamentals in Books 1 and 2.

An old post from HH answering a question on why the Phantom wasn't covered in Essentials:

h.harb wrote:David, in the new book I introduced new ideas. I didn't want to drag out the approaches from my first two books, that I already explained in detail. This book builds on the foundations laid out in the first two books.
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:24 am

And don't make the mistake that I made which was to think that book 1 and 2 are so old now they're out of date and go straight to the Essentials.
Far better IMO to progress through book 1 and 2 first.
Robert0325

Postby Basil j » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:15 am

Look at the top world cup racers and the new age of technical Skiers( Paul Lorenz, Reilly,Jonathan Ballou from the PSIA and many others) are all embracing flex movements to release the edge instead of push extension,weighted outside with a light inside foot for stronger edging, a return to a narrower stance , inside foot tipping to lead the turn with consistent edge for both feet and leading into the turn with the inside arm.
Funny how as I see these "revelations for improved skiing" on other sites as well as with some coaches as somehow "new", though they have been consistently part of this program for decades.
Even the same race coaches I used to argue with who coached my kids over the years are now embracing the very principals they fought against in the past.

PSIA?? Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvABgO5 ... 80&index=1

Not total embrace of PMTS, but certainly on a better track that traditional PSIA.
Basil j

Postby Jeet » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:27 pm

My info to new students (I tell this to all of my friends when they started skiing & or learning PMTS)

1. get comfortable with being uncomfortable (no one learns or progresses when there comfortable)
2. A strong mental focus on your SMIM
3. 80% drills, 20% free skiing
4. Video yourself - submit it the forum for a MA
5. Do the drill slowly
6. If you like drills great, if you don't, learn to love them (they are addictive once you get a taste of what it does to your skiing)
7. Always embrace a learning type mindset

I am fortunate to have access to a snow center all year round, so I ski a lot. (I have no excuses :)) I believe my skiing does not reflect 3 years of skiing. I ignored alignment, drills and thought I can develop these movements just by free skiing. I was wrong. I wasted a year. Only in the last year my skiing started to improve, that's when I submitted a video, got a MA (Thanks Max501 and all the others who commented), got a SMIM and worked on it, slowly, via the correct drills and video.

PMTS, The gift that keeps on giving.
Jeet

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System