Harald is always right!

PMTS Forum

Harald is always right!

Postby geoffda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:33 pm

This was somewhat of a joke in this afternoon's lunch session at Super Blue camp, but it is also absolutely true. Harald understands skiing at a level that is unequalled. He is a world-class coach; maybe even the very best there is. To have the opportunity to interact with him on the forum is a great privilege. For new participants on the forum, please keep that in mind when making posts. You are not interacting with a dime-a-dozen ski instructor, you are getting coaching from someone who has not only raced at the highest levels himself, but who also has a long track record of developing some of the very best skiers this country has ever seen. Harald's skiers have won at every level, from Olympic Golds, FIS World Championships, World Cup races, and so on. Rest assured, you don't need to question his Primary Movements Teaching System. Anybody here will tell you that it is the best coaching there is and it works. If you have doubts, nobody is interested in hearing them; least of all Harald. Either accept the fact that PMTS will enable you to develop into the best skier you can possibly be and be appreciative of the information you get on the forum, or decide that PMTS is not for you and go somewhere else for your information.

While I'm on the subject, anybody that is a serious student of skiing owes it to themselves to experience skiing with Harald in person. It truly is a great gift; where else can the average Joe get the opportunity to receive a level of coaching that is normally reserved for elite atheletes? Plus watching Harald ski is (and trying to follow in his tracks) is an experience in and of itself. Coming to camp is a great way to get that experience. Even if you don't end up in Harald's group, you'll get to hear him talk about skiing every morning during the "tech talk" sessions, and he is unmistakable on the hill. Harald talks about getting to follow in Stenmark's tracks; for my money there is nothing better than trying to follow Harald around.
geoffda

Re: Harald is always right!

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks Geoff, you are hired, best publicist I've very read. We'll negotiate the terms tomorrow, in the mean time, get the stick, use the pull back so that counter acting and Pull back are working together.
BTW, Huge improvements today!
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:00 pm

geoffda wrote:Harald understands skiing at a level that is unequaled.

This is absolutely true. Harald talks about and understands skiing in a way that few skiers can even relate to. Until you get to a certain level with your skiing, you don't understand just how deep his understanding and awareness is. I've never spoken to anyone who described their skiing and the skiing of others the way he does. His frame of reference is completely different from a 'normal' coach or skier. Things that are huge revelations to most skiers and coaches, are simply self evident to Harald - and that is just scratching the surface of what he knows about ski technique and how a ski interacts with the snow. No BS.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

BS wastes time! But that unfortunately is only what some can do. And the truth eliminates those (PSIA) who only want to get stroked. Sorry, did I mention Epic. Thanks for the comments Greg,
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 am

After the lunch time video review session, Geoffda and I had a chance to ski a few runs and discuss the "gift" that we were receiving from Harald. There are some people who attend camp, but haven't completely accepted PMTS "into their hearts". :wink: What I mean by that is if you're taking the plunge and willing to spend the money, then you owe it to yourself to eliminate your thoughts of what you think makes skiing work; all the old skiing instruction and ideas you have about how people actually ski need to be purged and your mind completely opened to discovering a deeper knowledge of PMTS and where you really are in your own skiing development.

We all go through periods of frustration when learning and it's certainly evident once again at Super Blue #2, but just when you think you can't do a single thing correctly you will have those moments when things start to click. So stay the course and understand that "Harald is always right!".
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 am

So this week is my third camp but the first time I've had Harald as instructor. It's sort of like discovering that Michael Schumacher has finally retired and is running the driver training school down the street.
CO_Steve

Postby arothafel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 am

Yep...! I drank the Kool-Aid at my first camp and have never looked back! And, along with Harald, the entire crew is incredible.

After a morning session a couple of years ago, all of the coaches were out free-skiing (aggressively) down some steep terrain at A-Basin. It was quite a "show!"

It's absolutely amazing to me that PMTS has not been fully adopted by the upper echelons of ski instruction and race coaching. It can only be chalked-up to ego.

Name one other ski instruction professional who has written and/or produced this body of work including:

- Books
- DVDs
- Training Exercises
- Training Tools (Carvers, Slant Board, etc.)
- Alignment Protocol
- Camps
- Private Lessons

... and did I mention the daily operation of the retail shop...!

It's a chuckle when self-proclaimed experts enter the forum and decide to validate themselves by challenging PMTS.
arothafel

Postby nipper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:58 am

And how many other ski coaches can draw students to their camps from all over the world. Hintertux is a glowing testament to this.
nipper

Postby Erik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Harald is always right = Trust the PMTS System he created to transfer his knowledge to you.
Trust the PMTS System = Learn the Essentials
Learn the Essentials = Follow the learning progressions in the Expert Skier books, get (properly aligned) equipment for PMTS learning, do drills as shown in the DVDs, get PMTS expert feedback/analysis, learn from accredited PMTS instructor if possible. Rinse and Repeat.
Learning individual Essential movements = Improved skiing
Improved skiing + multiple individual PMTS Essentials = Combined and synchronized PMTS Essentials
Synergy between PMTS Essentials = Transformed skiing with ease, grace, and power
Transformed PMTS skiing = glimpses of insight into how deeply Harald though through all of this and got every element right in ways you still haven't fully grasped
All the PMTS Essentials working together = Expert Skiing
Harald is always right
Q.E.D

The real magic happens when you start to feel the Essentials working together.
Erik

Postby CRM.OZ » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Guys,

I have to add my thoughts to this post. I rarely post by read your comments almost everyday.

Right now I am sitting in the AA lounge at LAX with my wife and 11 yr old son waiting for the connecting flight to Denver, having just flown in from Sydney Australia.
This is the 3rd year in a row that I have travelled from Australia for camp. This year my wife will take part in the Green / Blue camp for a second year and I will be having private
lessons with Harold in the afternoons of the camp.

I whole heartily endorse Geofda's, Greg (Heluva), CO_Steve - everyone's comments.

My background is that I am 45 and have skied since I was 6 years old. Originally taught by a Polish uncle the "Welan" (not sure of spelling) Austrian ski technique of very close footed
skiing. An elegant and stylish method for old style skis. 15 years or more ago, I discovered Harold and his first book. This was when the ski camps were at Fernie. Peter Stone was selling the books and DVD's in Australia.Given my experience as a skier I quickly realised that PMTS and the "Phantom Move" was the way to go. But I had to wait until 2011 until I could afford the trip to my first Green/Blue camp at Solivsta where I had Dianna as my first coach followed by Rich Messer. That ski experience literally changed my life and my whole love and passion for skiing was re born / re invigorated.

Choosing the Green/Blue camp was the perfect choice for me as I had studied and read many comments from other "newbies" on the forum and almost all talk about the blue camps because they deem themselves to be Blue / advanced intermediate skiers. Now I am not a EGO driven guy and by ensuring I left any Ski ego behind in Australia and starting back at "square one" with the elementary tipping drills was the best decision I ever made. Trying to forget about 40 odd years of ski habits/technique/movement patterns that are ingrained is a difficult task.

2012 I returned to Solvista to attend the same Green/Blue camp and again was selected for the "top" group and luckily for us we have Harold for 3 days. He was sick with a head cold but was still so impressive and tough!. But the improvements and advancements many of us made were simply amazing. I say "many" in our group made major advancements only because some people can talk about the movements, they can articulate and describe what is being taught but just can't seem to do it. Many of you have probably experienced the same in other camps. It is a fact of life and has nothing to do with the quality of teaching from Harold or Dianna or any of the PMTS coaches. By the way a total of 6 Australians (3 couples including my wife and I) are returning this year for the Green/Blue camp and we have all become friends through PMTS.

To anyone that is new or "newish" to PMTS please read and take in these comments form all who have written. Geoffda is spot on about Harold "is always right". If you have any questions, perhaps you should ask yourself "are you right for PMTS?".

Can't wait to be "on the edges" again. 12 months of waiting and hard work in saving to get the family back to CO again. We will be skiing at Loveland, A Basin , Winterpark for the Demo Days of SIA next week, Solvista and lastly Beaver Creek. I would love it if there was an opportunity to meet up or ski with some of you guys one day.

In regards to credibility and posted video I hope to have some clips from my time with Harold in a few weeks so you guys can assess my skiing and be confident I can "walk (ski) the talk"

Finally I would like to say - this forum is an amazing resource of knowledge and experience and one that should be respected and appreciated - not trashed, questioned or baited by those with alternate agenda's or motives. I am embarrassed that the last peanut that caused a stir was an Aussie.

PS. Monsterman and A.L.E if you read this it would be great to have a bear sometime or is it shots?

Harald is always Right - Craig.
CRM.OZ

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Super Blue camp and comments above. I agree with everything said about the Green camps. If you don't understand what was said, here the short version. You can be really frustrated with the first time experience in a Super Blue, and may get discouraged, because the level is beyond your station or you can come to a Green Camp first and learn at an accommodating pace, so you can really enjoy your first Super Blue later. Your choice!

Thanks for the posts everyone. Some serious awareness was developed today by all skiers in the group. Becoming aware of your movements and how to change, is the first step to happiness. It's like pealing an Onion, the first layers are big and thick, "they are Gross Movements" to change and I mean "big and ugly", at the same time. As you begin to develop your "Essentials", and refine the subtleties that is the answer to becoming an Expert skier. And remember, "Anyone can be an Expert Skier" even Rich Kremsdorf, a direct quote.
h.harb

Postby A.L.E » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 am

CRM.OZ wrote:Hi Guys,

I have to add my thoughts to this post. I rarely post by read your comments almost everyday.

Right now I am sitting in the AA lounge at LAX with my wife and 11 yr old son waiting for the connecting flight to Denver, having just flown in from Sydney Australia.
This is the 3rd year in a row that I have travelled from Australia for camp. This year my wife will take part in the Green / Blue camp for a second year and I will be having private
lessons with Harold in the afternoons of the camp.

I whole heartily endorse Geofda's, Greg (Heluva), CO_Steve - everyone's comments.

My background is that I am 45 and have skied since I was 6 years old. Originally taught by a Polish uncle the "Welan" (not sure of spelling) Austrian ski technique of very close footed
skiing. An elegant and stylish method for old style skis. 15 years or more ago, I discovered Harold and his first book. This was when the ski camps were at Fernie. Peter Stone was selling the books and DVD's in Australia.Given my experience as a skier I quickly realised that PMTS and the "Phantom Move" was the way to go. But I had to wait until 2011 until I could afford the trip to my first Green/Blue camp at Solivsta where I had Dianna as my first coach followed by Rich Messer. That ski experience literally changed my life and my whole love and passion for skiing was re born / re invigorated.

Choosing the Green/Blue camp was the perfect choice for me as I had studied and read many comments from other "newbies" on the forum and almost all talk about the blue camps because they deem themselves to be Blue / advanced intermediate skiers. Now I am not a EGO driven guy and by ensuring I left any Ski ego behind in Australia and starting back at "square one" with the elementary tipping drills was the best decision I ever made. Trying to forget about 40 odd years of ski habits/technique/movement patterns that are ingrained is a difficult task.

2012 I returned to Solvista to attend the same Green/Blue camp and again was selected for the "top" group and luckily for us we have Harold for 3 days. He was sick with a head cold but was still so impressive and tough!. But the improvements and advancements many of us made were simply amazing. I say "many" in our group made major advancements only because some people can talk about the movements, they can articulate and describe what is being taught but just can't seem to do it. Many of you have probably experienced the same in other camps. It is a fact of life and has nothing to do with the quality of teaching from Harold or Dianna or any of the PMTS coaches. By the way a total of 6 Australians (3 couples including my wife and I) are returning this year for the Green/Blue camp and we have all become friends through PMTS.

To anyone that is new or "newish" to PMTS please read and take in these comments form all who have written. Geoffda is spot on about Harold "is always right". If you have any questions, perhaps you should ask yourself "are you right for PMTS?".

Can't wait to be "on the edges" again. 12 months of waiting and hard work in saving to get the family back to CO again. We will be skiing at Loveland, A Basin , Winterpark for the Demo Days of SIA next week, Solvista and lastly Beaver Creek. I would love it if there was an opportunity to meet up or ski with some of you guys one day.

In regards to credibility and posted video I hope to have some clips from my time with Harold in a few weeks so you guys can assess my skiing and be confident I can "walk (ski) the talk"

Finally I would like to say - this forum is an amazing resource of knowledge and experience and one that should be respected and appreciated - not trashed, questioned or baited by those with alternate agenda's or motives. I am embarrassed that the last peanut that caused a stir was an Aussie.

PS. Monsterman and A.L.E if you read this it would be great to have a bear sometime or is it shots?

Harald is always Right - Craig.

Welcome to the forum Craig. It needs a few more sensible Aussies. I try my best to counter balance some of Monster's criptic comments but it's never easy. Odd coming from a Queenslander, they are usually a plain speaking mob as we know. Although he dialed in some very plain speak when he greeted the last Aussie to show up with misplaced reasoning, immediately inviting him to F...Off!!!! :D
Getting together for a beer would be great but not easy to coordinate. If it's shots then April any year at Hintertux is good for Monster, where he can be found at the bar most days, all day, telling anyone who cares to listen how sore his knee is. :cry:

Hope your wife's camp went well. Disneyland on the way home for your son?
A.L.E

Postby A.L.E » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 am

arothafel wrote:Name one other ski instruction professional who has written and/or produced this body of work including:

- Books
- DVDs
- Training Exercises
- Training Tools (Carvers, Slant Board, etc.)
- Alignment Protocol
- Camps
- Private Lessons

... and did I mention the daily operation of the retail shop...!

It's a chuckle when self-proclaimed experts enter the forum and decide to validate themselves by challenging PMTS.

^^^^ Indeed

Also throw in Instructor accreditation.

The truly unique part is PMTS acceptance & adoption developments at Whistler and Welch Village.
A.L.E

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Well I didn't predict this, but I saw Ted's run in the combined slalom today. It's the best slalom skiing he has done in some time. He even kept his feet together, inside foot pulled back, on most of the tough turns. I give credit where it's due and Ted did it and deserves credit. The GS should be a great event, for two guys if they both stand up. It's amazing how PMTS works even for Ted in slalom, if he's able to keep it together. He's reading my Blog! His Super G run was also terrific.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

One heck of an SL run from Ted. Where did that come from?!!! :wink:
HighAngles

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System