Dont try this at home, Homie!

PMTS Forum

Re: Dont try this at home, Homie!

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 pm

h.harb wrote:

You can do this with or without a rope!

Wrong! You can do it without a rope. I'll take two.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:38 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Did 4 sets of 10 of these with 70lbs tonight. Maybe it will make me ski like Jon...

Did some of these at the gym today as well. Not sure I will be ale to keep these in my routine. Legwise it was fine and backwise OK I think (definitely felt some pulling in the lower back) but rotator cuff wise it was a bit of a problem. I finished 3 sets of ten but my rotator cuffs are really barking now. Probably not a great exercie for anyone with torn or partially tor rotator cuffs.

I am pretty sure it won't get me to ski like Jon! But hope and opposable thumbs are all that separate us from animals!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:45 pm

John, start with a broom handle without weights, have someone check your form on the way down. It definitely tweaks my shoulders.
h.harb

Postby nugget » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Reasonable Thoracic mobility is a must otherwise there is a fair amount of stress on the shoulder girdle (abducting and externally rotating the humerus etc) and neck etc. Less than optimal posture will hurt you with this exercise (sooner or later).
As Harald indicated a broom stick or large dowel rod is a good starting point load wise.
nugget

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 pm

I would do the exercise with a broom stick, to gage and improve upper body flexibility, it tells you how much flexibility you have in your upper and lower back, as well as your dorsi-flexion. This has some bearing on how you will stand on your skis. The idea is not to increase your shoulder range of motion or hurt your shoulders, but to increase upper and lower spine flexibility. I would not, as I said before, attempt this with weights until you have the movements down or without an expert to check your form and spot you . This is nothing to play around with. You could put yourself out for the season or worst, if you try this without correct preparation and supervision, let's make that clear.

Remember weight lifters use heel lifts when they do most of these kinds of squat exercises, because of the huge demand to keep your Cg centered and upright. Lifting the heels gives your ankles more range to keep your hips over you feet. If you can improve both these movement ranges, including in your spine, you will be able to keep your feet under your body better when skiing.

You can also begin a routine of lower back strengthening, like trunk lifts on a roman bench. And work on your flexibility with a foam roller.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Jon Olson made his national team and will start at Soelden. I wasn't aware that he had spent the past 1-2 years racing Europa and Noram. It appears to have paid off.

http://skiracing.com/stories/on-swedens ... een-light/
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

When I helped Jon get re-started with his racing about 4 years ago, I told him he could do it, make the Swedish Team. Remember he had not raced in 10 years. And now he has done it. He's a hard worker and very dedicated. He has that hard core attitude that gets you there and he pushed himself as much as anyone I've seen. You would think that a 6 time gold medalist at the X-Games, and countless other world class competition wins, you would just sit back and admire your trophies and success (money), not Jon. He has something to prove.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:33 am

Wow, that is awesome! I hope he qualifies for the flip & I hope he is able to make to Sochi!
geoffda

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System