How does cuff pressure come into play?

PMTS Forum

Re: How does cuff pressure come into play?

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

On a different note, but for your own safety, and just as important, too much forward lean, which is intended to get you forward on the boot, Wrong, does increase the pressure and pull on the ACL, because as you rock back, the calf is levered on the rear spoiler earlier and with more pressure than on a straighter set up. Fenninger is in a very straight set up, again obvious by the photo. No ACL pressure here.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Anna's balance over the outside ski is truly impressive.

Max_501

Postby BigE » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Does the raptor have an adjustment for fwd lean or is this something that you had to do yourself?
BigE

Postby BigE » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 pm

My top buckle is loose, and a booster strap is under the cuff. Terrific.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:02 pm

I called her as the next "special one" a few years ago, as you might remember. There is no forward lean adjust on the raptor, you have to grind out the high spots on the back of the shell and (in my case) thin the custom foam liner I use.. Watch out for Brem!!!
h.harb

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:08 pm

She does not seem to have a lot of counterbalance going on there. Is that something she ought to be concerned about?
BigE

Postby jclayton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:58 am

Big E , I would say that at those very high speeds the CB catch up is a bit behind . She is in the fall line and the CB will come more into play in the next part of the turn . CA looks well in place .
Camera angle might make it look deceptive ,but with the momentum she is carrying she looks well able to hold the edge and looks very balanced . I guess she has "adequate" CB for the situation .
My humble opinion just looking át one photo !!!
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby theorist » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:15 pm

x
Last edited by theorist on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theorist

Postby theorist » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Max_501 wrote:The focus is on pulling the feet back. If you do that then you should feel the front of the boot with your shin. The pressure will increase (boots getting crushed) from the apex until the release because the hips are forward relative to the feet.

Doesn't the pressure move back towards the heel as one progresses through the lower C? What you wrote here is consistent with my understanding:

Max_501 wrote: Its ok to be forward in the first part of the turn but by the 2nd part you want you stance leg extended and its time to start working on moving pressure to the heel of the stance foot. Pressure control is another big part of carving on steeps.

Max_501 wrote:What feels 'right' is when I have pressure moving from the front of the arch (top of the arc) to the back of the arch (bottom of the arc).

And is there a difference in this regard between the C-shaped turn a racer would make, where he's trying to maximize speed, and a decreasing-radius turn, where you're trying to control it? I.e., does the progression of the fore-aft relationship between hip and foot as the turn develops differ between these?

My guess would be it's the same for the two turns in the upper C, but that they differ in the lower C: For the decreasing-radius turn, the front of the ski is most strongly loaded in the lower C (causing the decreasing radius), which is what causes the boot crushing to be maximal there, as you described. But for the C-shaped turn, the maximum tongue pressure would occur at the apex, because the racer's movement in the lower C shifts the pressure towards the tail of the ski.
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 pm

In a general sense I think of pressure as following the hips. So when the outside leg is long the hips are forward and the pressure is forward. As the outside leg begins to flex the pressure moves back as the hips move back.

This post covers the topic -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4370#p44686

Keep in mind that discussions about feeling pressure along the arch gets into an area that is the outcome of movements and is tricky because there is a wide range of foot sensitivity. Some skiers can tell you exactly where they are feeling pressure. Others have no idea but they are still expert skiers.
Max_501

Postby theorist » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Max_501 wrote:In a general sense I think of pressure as following the hips. So when the outside leg is long the hips are forward and the pressure is forward. As the outside leg begins to flex the pressure moves back as the hips move back.

OK, never mind the pressure under the arch. The above makes sense, thanks, but I'm afraid I don't understand how this explains maximal tongue pressure at the finish. In a C-shaped turn, it seems it should be less below the apex, since the leg stays extended while pressure either stays centered or shifts back to accelerate the tail. And in a decreasing-radius turn, the legs are flexing in the lower-C prior to release (to create higher angles) -- though this may be counter-balanced (not referring to CB here) by shin pressure on the boot (http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2013/ ... n-ice.html), which could give the crush. My real curiosity here is not about tongue pressure per se, it's about understanding whether there's a difference in foot pull-back (and the corresponding progression of fore-aft balance) in the lower-C in C-shaped vs. decreasing-radius turns -- the tongue issue just motivated it. Perhaps I should just ask this as a separate thread.
Last edited by theorist on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:22 pm

theorist wrote:My real curiosity here is not about tongue pressure per se, it's about understanding foot pull-back (and the progression of fore-aft balance) in the lower-C in C-shaped vs. decreasing-radius turns -- the tongue issue just motivated it. Perhaps I should just ask this as a separate thread.

Get some video for MA and we can help you understand what you need to do with pullback. Without that it's just words because we have no idea what you are doing or if pullback is an area you should be concentrating at this stage in your development.

That said, we typically tell developing skiers to pull back all the time because in a flexing release the skis jet forward even if you are pulling back as strongly as you can.
Max_501

Postby theorist » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 pm

OK, thanks.
theorist

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System