side edge loading

PMTS Forum

side edge loading

Postby BigE » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Is this appropriate only after achieving a 45 degree ( or more ) edge angle? I can't seem to envision or accomplish Side Edge loading with a flatter ski. ( Apologies, my copy of the Essentials is not with me at the moment ).
BigE

Re: side edge loading

Postby geoffda » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:00 pm

The deal with side edge loading is simply that if you are going to have the inside ski on the snow (as opposed to having it lifted), you need to put enough weight on the ski so that it will actually engage. Students who learned to make turns with the inside ski lifted, particularly if they have mastered the Super Phantom, may need this extra bit of instruction. Additionally, upon realizing that the inside ski must be weighted, some students will shift too much weight onto that ski, losing balance to the inside as the ski engages hard. That is why the concept of side edge loading is mentioned in Essentials. What you will want to be concerned with is developing a sense for weighting the inside ski enough to get it to perform through tipping while still maintaining balance on the outside ski. You can test your balance by trying to lift your inside ski off the snow at arbitrary points in the turn. If you can do that at any time, then you have correctly balanced over the outside ski.
geoffda

Postby skijim13 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 am

Page 106 of the essentials has a great discussion on side loading and drills to learn it use. Key is not to lean on it where you end up depending on the inside ski for balance again.
skijim13

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:09 pm

The concept of hinging may help some to refine this movement.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby BigE » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks!!

BTW: My wife found the Essentials a couple days ago, tried it, and all is good now. I find that the feedback from side edge loading is important when matching the edge angle of the stance ski.
BigE

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System