Balance!

PMTS Forum

Balance!

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Read this:

The "Balance Turn" few learn it and fewer can make it.

Then this:

Mistakes are from ski coaches, not kids.

And finally this old thread from 2006 -

Carving Madness

Then go back to page 1 of Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1.
Max_501

Re: Balance!

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:53 pm

The pearls of wisdom that one can find on this forum are extra-ordinary, beyond the conprehension of mere mortals. I think if a US Ski Team coach or and PSIA examiner read this stuff their brains would explode. And for us it's just daily fare. What does that stay about us, and about them?

Max501 do you memorize all the posts on this forum or do you search for specific topics to find them? I didn't fortunately detect one contradiction, in at least what I wrote, in the last 8 years down this forum's memory lane.

max501 thanks for the flashbacks.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:19 am

Where is Dewdman when you need him? What a blast from the past!

And great stuff. As someone who learned and focused on edge lock or two rail carving well before developing a bpsrt, I would encourage everyone to do the opposite. Develop a true bpsrt and carving a ski on rails with the ski bending and de-cambering will be easy. And... You will be able to ski all over the mountain effortlessly.

The progression laid out in books 1 and 2 is the right progression which is probably more like simultaneous development.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:49 pm

h.harb wrote:Max501 do you memorize all the posts on this forum or do you search for specific topics to find them?

Just a good memory I guess. When I read your post it got me to thinking of past threads that were related. You've really hammered it home that great skiing starts with balance.

Here's a great article you wrote in 2005 that is related -

Phantom Move as per PMTS
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:40 am

Forgot I wrote this, I like it.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:05 pm

How many forum members practice one footed skiing each day they are on the hill?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:06 pm

I skied two runs on one foot on Sunday. Switching feet half way down each run. No help from poles. Boots unbuckled so I could use my ankles better.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 pm

I do at least two runs, even when teaching, with the "Phantom Javelin".
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:44 pm

h.harb wrote:I do at least two runs, even when teaching, with the "Phantom Javelin".

I'd do more, but my drill time is better spent working CA. :wink:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Basil j » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:45 am

It has been Interesting as I have launched a new business and have much less ski time now( once a week) I have found that by warming up on a green run every time out with 2 footed releases and then spending the bulk of the day focusing on 3 major things:
1.performing all turns on outside ski, regardless of whether I am doing bumps or groomers using super Phantom movement
2.Placing the focus during all turns on inside foot tipping and staying over my outside ski
3.Staying flexed and avoiding any push off or extension whatsoever during transitions.
I am skiing smoother, in total control and with much less fatigue. It doesn't really feel like I am doing drills all day, because in my mind I have committed to these movements as the goal to movement on the hill.
My ski buddies have all noticed a big jump in my skiing this year, even with less on snow time than usual.
In the afternoons I ski with my kids and we have been doing a lot of single ski skiing on greens & blues and that has forced me to become much more efficient using inside/outside edges on one ski as well. We leave one ski by the lift and off we go.
We have also spent a lot of time on rolling just the ankles and taking focus away from the knees and both my kids are getting much better angles, especially my 8 year old. Its a slow and steady path, but I finally feel like I have unlearned some old movements and have replaced them with more efficient ones.
It has been averaging 10 degrees every day I have been out, so no on wants to video me, but I will do my best to get some video up soon. I am assuming I can use footage from an I phone on this site?
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:10 am

Basil j wrote:We leave one ski by the lift and off we go.

Excellent that you are putting time in with one ski work. I think its very important to the overall success of anyone wanting to become an advanced PMTS skier.

Note - I see race coaches dropping a ski for drills but I'm not a big fan of this approach to one ski work because it changes the overall balance equation. I prefer to have my students lift a ski and keep if lifted as we turn left and right. After 10 to 20 turns we switch legs which gives a rest period as well. By keeping both skis on the one ski balance work translates directly to real skiing.
Max_501

Postby Basil j » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:07 am

I agree Max, but that is the way the coaches have them do it, and they want to show me their progress from camp every morning so I don't argue the point. It has certainly helped their balance, and mine, but especially for my 8 year old. We do small turns to big turns to small turns down easy greens & Blues, and to them it's playing a game, to me, it's balance development. When we do leave both skis on, I have them go down ahead of me and I will call out right ski and they can only ski on their right ski, then "left ski" and they can only ski their left ski, without breaking their turn cadence back and forth across the trail. I reward with Chocolate mint Hot cocoa at then end of the afternoon.
Basil j

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:13 am

My point here isn't to criticize one ski skiing for developing balance, however like with any other exercise you see in ski coaching, it needs to be highly and specifically focused. Just skiing down the hill after removing a ski from one foot can be a total waste of time. This often induces leaning and rotating leaving out the real quality movement and balance that should be developed. One ski skiing needs to be made relevant to the other ski and with what the upper body should be doing to balance. There are many good exercises on the mountain that coaches can use; however I rarely see them being used correctly and focused to a well explained, particular movement pattern, that needs enhancing.
h.harb

Postby Doghouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Max_501 wrote:How many forum members practice one footed skiing each day they are on the hill?

I practice one footed skiing every ski day (with inside ski lifted). I used to practice one-footed skiing in both directions but I felt that I was "cheating" by using my upper body and leaning to make turns to the LTE (especially on the right foot). Rather than making and practicing the wrong moves and leaning instead of foot tipping, I''ll hold off on that until I can get an alignment check at HSS. I may be able to do that this season and I plan to call the shop soon. There may be something going on with my right side alignment as I cannot hold a straight run on the flats with my left ski lifted.
Doghouse

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:08 pm

Sounds like alignment, if you lean and fall to the outside you are probably aligned toward the outside, if your knee drops in and the ski turns right sharply, you are knocked kneed, although that one is less likely.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System